Daily Current Affairs 26 May 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Madhya Pradesh CM inaugurated ‘Everybody will get employment’ scheme through video conferencing
In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated the ‘Everybody will get employment’ scheme through video conferencing.
- Under this scheme, MNREGA job cards will be distributed to the labourers.
- The state government is committed to provide employment to migrant labourers and those labourers who have gone out of the state in search of employment, in their village and gram Panchayat area itself.
CBSE launches cyber security handbook for students
Central Board of Secondary Education, CBSE has recently launched a Cyber Safety Handbook for the students of Classes 9 and 11 to ensure healthy digital habits in students.
- The handbook discussed topics such as digital security, digital rights and responsibilities and digital law.
- The handbook comes in the wake of the novel coronavirus outbreak and the subsequent nationwide lockdown that has forced many schools to move their teaching online.
India helps Uganda to set up military war game centre ‘INDIA’
Indian Association in Uganda, with help of the Indian Military training team, set up a military war game centre in Jinja district.
- Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni inaugurated the war game centre conceptualised by Indian military team for Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF).
- The war game centre is named ‘INDIA’ and is a type of strategy game that simulates warfare realistically, as opposed to abstract strategy games such as chess.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India becomes world’s second-largest manufacturer of PPE body coveralls in two months: Govt
India has become the world’s second largest manufacturer of personal protective equipment (PPE) body coveralls within a short time span of two months.
- China is the world’s leading producer of PPE body coveralls, crucial to safeguard against the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- The Ministry of Textiles stated that several steps were taken to ensure the quantity and quality of PPE coveralls meeting their increasing demand
- Textile Committee, Mumbai will also be allowed to certify and test PPE body coveralls that will be required by the healthcare workers and others who have been involved in a fight against COVID-19.
NCDEX launches India’s first agri futures index
Leading agri-commodity bourse NCDEX launch the country’s first agri-futures index, NCDEX AGRIDEX.
- Initially, the exchange will offer futures contracts that would expire in the months of June, July, September and December
- The AGRIDEX represents a basket of ten liquid agricultural commodities on the NCDEX and will serve as a broad benchmark for India’s strong agricultural sector.
Fintech startup Zaggle joins hands with Visa to launch payment solutions for SMEs, startups
Fintech startup, Zaggle, has announced a partnership with Visa to launch innovative payment solutions for SMEs and startups.
- This partnership is aimed at helping SMEs and startups improve productivity, reduce costs and get access to faster credit through a card which would have both inbuilt forex and prepaid.
- For the next three years, Zaggle plan to target around 50,000 SMEs, which would include startups as well. We aim to achieve Rs 14,000-15,000 crore of transactions annually
US tennis star Jamie Hampton announces retirement
American tennis player and former world number 24 Jamie Hampton has officially announced her retirement from professional tennis, bringing a sudden halt to her career.
- Former World Top 25 player played her last official match 6 yrs ago when she was ranked 24th in the world.
- She won five International Tennis Federation titles during her professional tennis career.
Indian peacekeeper Suman Gawani to be honoured with UN Gender Advocate Award
An Indian Army officer and woman peacekeeper, who has served with the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), and a Brazilian woman commander have been selected for the prestigious United Nations Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award (2019), with UN Chief Antnio Guterres describing them as “powerful role models.”
- Major Suman Gawani and Brazilian Naval Officer Commander Carla Monteiro de Castro Araujo will receive the award during an online ceremony presided over by United Nations Secretary-General Guterres on May 29, the International Day of UN Peacekeepers.
- This is the first time the UN Military Gender Advocate award has gone to an Indian peacekeeper. This is the second year in a row that a Brazilian peacekeeper has received this honour
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Navy made breathable PPE kit “NavRakshak”
The Indian Navy’s indigenously-made PPE kit, ”NavRakshak”, made for enhancing comforts of the health workers under Indian conditions, is helping fight the war against Covid-19 in a better and effective manner.
- It was made by a doctor who can understand the agony of his fraternity wearing a multi-layered coverall PPE while treating patients for upto 12 hours in hot and humid conditions.
- The ”NavRakshak” with an innovative ”breathable” fabric material, has brought new hopes to the medical world and healthcare professionals from whose perspective it has been designed
Bollywood actor Mohit Baghel passes away
Actor Mohit Baghel, best known for playing Amar Chaudhary in superstar Salman Khan’s Ready, has died of cancer in his hometown Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. He was 26.
- He began his career with the comedy show “Chote Miyaan”. The actor has also appeared in Sidharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra starrer “Jabariya Jodi”.
- He had recently finished shooting another film with Sidharth Malhotra. He was also a part of the cast of the upcoming film “Bunty Aur Babli 2”.
Hana Kimura, Japanese Wrestler and Star of Netflix Series, passes away
Hana Kimura, a Japanese professional wrestler who was also a cast member on the most recent season of Netflix’s reality show “Terrace House,” has died, Variety has confirmed. She was 22.
- Kimura began her wrestling career at Wrestle-1 in 2016, and went on to win the JWP Junior Championship title. She then joined Stardom Wrestling in 2019, receiving Stardom’s Fighting Spirit Award later that year.
Former Inter Milan manager Gigi Simoni passes away
Former Inter head coach Gigi Simoni, who led a Ronaldo-inspired team to UEFA Cup glory in 1998, has died at the age of 81.
- Simoni was awarded the Panchina d’Oro as the best Italian coach.
- Simoni coached clubs including Lazio, Napoli, Torino, Brescia and Cremonese, but arguably his finest hour came with Inter when the Nerazzurri thumped Lazio 3-0 at the Parc des Princes, to secure the European trophy.
- He was an Italian football official, player & manager. He played as an attacking midfielder for Mantova, Napoli, Torino, Juventus, Brescia and Genoa.