Daily Current Affairs 26 May 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Children impacted by Covid-19 Pandemic being provided Tele Counselling through SAMVEDNA
With an objective of providing psychological first-aid and emotional support to children affected during the pandemic, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) is providing tele-counselling to children through SAMVEDNA (Sensitising Action on Mental Health Vulnerability through Emotional Development and Necessary Acceptance) – a toll-free helpline.
- Tele-counselling is provided to children under three categories: children who are in quarantine/isolation/Covid care centres, children who have Covid-positive parents or family members, and children who have lost their parents to the virus.
- This tele-counselling service is available on a toll-free number, 1800-121-2830, from Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm and 3 pm to 8 pm, and is exclusively for children who are willing to talk and are in need of counselling.
Government launches first of its kind Six- Month CBID Program on Rehabilitation of Divyangjan
Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Dr Thaawarchand Gehlot virtually launched a 6- month Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID) Program on rehabilitation of Divyangjan.
- This program will be first of its kind which will create trained manpower in identifying risk cases, apprising the parents/guardians about the nearest early intervention centres, and guiding them for availing Government benefits for Divyangjan.
- The Minister reiterated that PwDs are an important human resource and if appropriate facilities/opportunities are given, they can excel in any field be it education, sports performing/fine arts. It is with this in mind that the course has been developed in collaboration with Melbourne University.
MP CM transfers Rs. 112. 81 crore under COVID-19 assistance scheme into account of Rs. 11. 28 lakh construction workers
In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan transferred the amount of Rs. 112. 81 crore under the COVID-19 assistance scheme into the account of Rs. 11. 28 lakh construction workers of the state.
- Chief Minister Mr Chouhan said that all the poor, including construction workers, are being given free ration of five kg per member for five months, the state government has provided three months ration and the Central government is giving two months ration.
- Meanwhile, the state Cabinet under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Choauhan decided to implement ‘Mukhya Mantri Covid-19 Anukampa Niyukti Yojana’ to provide compassionate appointment to eligible dependents of those who died while serving in government service during COVID-19 pandemic including daily wage earners, ad hoc , contractual.
Government releases Rs 1605 crore to 8 North Eastern States under Jal Jeevan Mission
The Union Government has released Rs 1605 crore to eight North Eastern states under Jal Jeevan Mission to provide tap water supply to rural homes in the current financial year.
- Jal Shakti Ministry said, this is the first tranche of the four to be released in this financial year. There are about 90 lakh rural households in all the North East States, with a maximum 63.35 lakh in Assam.
Dr Harsh Vardhan chairs 33rd Conference of Health Ministers of Commonwealth Countries
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan chaired the opening session of the 33rd meeting of Health Ministers of Commonwealth countries through video conferencing.
- The theme of the conference was “Commonwealth Response to COVID-19: Ensuring Equitable Access to Vaccines and Building Resilience for Health Systems and Emergencies”.
- Speaking on the pandemic, the Minister said, it has already run into hundreds of billions of dollars leading to a significant contraction in the global economy. The road to recovery may be hard and shall only pick up pace once the entire world is able to put the pandemic behind together.
- Dr Vardhan said, COVAX, the vaccine pillar of ACT Accelerator, aims to deliver at least two billion vaccines by the end of 2021, covering 20 per cent of the most vulnerable population in about 92 Low and Middle-Income countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
IFSCA constitutes an expert committee on Investment Funds
The International Financial Services Centres Authority, IFSCA has constituted an expert committee on Investment Funds.
- The Committee under the Chairmanship of Nilesh Shah, Managing Director of Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Co. Ltd, will recommend the road map for the funds industry in the International Financial Service Centres,IFSCs.
- The Committee comprises leaders from the Fund Management sector.
Finance Ministry notifies rules for increased FDI in the insurance sector
The Finance Ministry formally notified the amendment to the Indian Insurance Companies (Foreign Investment) Rules, 2015 and clarified on the final rules for increasing the foreign direct investment limit in the insurance sector to 74% from the existing 49%,which came into effect on May 19, 2021.
- Total Foreign Investment in an Indian Insurance Company, shall mean the sum total of direct and indirect foreign investment by Foreign Investors in such company, calculated in such manner as is specified in regulations made by the authority with regard to registration of Indian Insurance Companies.
- It also mentioned that every Indian insurance company having foreign investment, existing on or before the date of commencement of the Indian Insurance Companies (Foreign Investment) Amendment Rules, 2021, shall within one year from such commencement, comply with the requirements of the provisions.
Equitas Small Finance Bank offers online process for NRI account opening
Equitas Small Finance Bank has now become the first Small Finance Bank to offer its NRI customer segment the ease of account opening online. The company will also be the only one in the Small Finance Bank sector to have Virtual Relationship Managers based on time zones.
- The online process of account opening for NRIs can done via smart phone or computer connected to Internet. The applicants will have a span of 90 days to courier documents after account opening.
- With this pioneering move, Equitas Small Finance Bank is seamlessly increasing opportunities for its NRI account holders to manage their investments, deposits and the income earned in India. The Equitas Net Banking would also facilitate investment in mutual funds and Portfolio Management Services for the NRI account holders.
LIC hikes its stake in Union Bank to over 5%
The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has hiked its stake to 5.06% in state-run Union Bank of India with acquisition of nearly 2% additional stake in the bank.
- Earlier, the LIC held 3.09% stake in UBI, representing 19,79,23,251 equity shares of the bank, as per a regulatory filing of LIC sent to exchanges through Union Bank of India.
Mahindra Rural Housing Finance, IPPB tie up for cash management solution
Mahindra Rural Housing Finance and India Post Payments Bank announced a strategic partnership for cash management solution.
- As part of the tie-up, IPPB will be offering cash management and collection services to MRHFL through its access points and postal service providers.
- With the cash management service, its customers will be able to repay their monthly or quarterly loan instalments at over 1.36 lakh post offices.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Communications launches ‘S.H.E’ to promote entrepreneurship, education and wellbeing of women
Tata Communications, a global digital ecosystem enabler has announced the launch of the ‘School of Hope and Empowerment’ (S.H.E.) at the 2021 UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
- S.H.E., a multi-media, multi-stakeholder impact communications initiative is designed in collaboration with The Better India, an impact driven Indian digital media platform, to support and educate women from small towns in India to overcome key barriers to entrepreneurship.
- S.H.E. includes a series of short films highlighting challenges faced by women in becoming entrepreneurs, such as gender stereotypes, family commitments, financial and societal constraints, and lack of self-belief.
Sebi doubles overseas investment limit of AIF, VCF to $1,500 million
Markets regulator Sebi doubled the overseas investment limit of alternative investment funds and venture capital funds to USD 1,500 million.
- This move would allow greater Indian participation in global companies and would accelerate the growth of the Indian AIF industry overall.
- Currently, Sebi-registered alternative investment fund (AIF) or venture capital fund (VCF) are permitted to invest overseas, subject to an overall limit of USD 750 million.
Australia’s Jack Miller wins rain hit French MotoGP
Ducati’s Jack Miller held his nerve in a crash-filled MotoGP race in rainy conditions to win the French Grand Prix at Le Mans, with the Australian finishing ahead of local hopes Johann Zarco and Fabio Quartararo.
- It was Miller’s second consecutive victory following his success in the Spanish Grand Prix earlier this month, making him the first Australian to seal back-to-back wins since Casey Stoner in 2012.
Sports Ministry gives approval to open 143 Khelo India Centres across 7 states in country
The Sports Ministry has given its approval to open 143 Khelo India Centres across seven states in the country with a total budget estimate of Rs 14.30 crore.
- The states include Maharashtra, Mizoram, Goa, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur.
- These Khelo India Centres will be entrusted with one sports discipline each. The financial assistance will be used for remuneration of the past-champion athletes as coach, support staff, purchase of equipment, sports kits, consumables, participation.
Mohali International Hockey Stadium dedicated to legendary centre-forward Balbir Singh Senior
The Mohali International Hockey Stadium in Punjab was dedicated to legendary centre-forward Balbir Singh Senior at a formal ceremony on his first death anniversary.
- It was also decided that the sports department would start a scholarship in the name of the three-time Olympian for sportspersons belonging to the state.
Anatole Collinet Makosso as new prime minister of Congo
The President of the Republic of Congo, Denis Sassou Nguesso has appointed Anatole Collinet Makosso as the country’s Prime Minister. He replaced Clement Mouamba, in-office since 2016.
- Before this appointment, Makosso was the education minister of the Central African country. He was also minister of youth and civic instruction from 2011 to 2016.
Shergaon BMC bags best Biodiversity Management Committee award in Arunachal Pradesh
The Shergaon Biodiversity Management Committee (BMC) in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh was awarded the best such panel in the country at the fifth edition of the India Biodiversity Award.
- The award was given by the National Biodiversity Authority at a virtual programme on the occasion of the International Day for Biological Diversity. Winners of the India Biodiversity Awards get a memento, a certificate and a cash prize of Rs two lakh each for individuals and Rs five lakh each for institutions.
- The Shergaon BMC has worked on documentation of endemic flora and fauna of the village forest. Plant species like Paris polyphylla, Taxus baccata, Swertia chirayita, Rubia cordifolia, and faunas such as red panda, flying squirrels, civets, Himalayan Asiatic black bear have been documented.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
NASA to send its first mobile robot to search for water on the moon in 2023
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration has announced its first mobile robot to the moon in late 2023. The rover will search for ice as well as other resources on and below the lunar surface.
- Data collected from the Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover (VIPER), as part of the Artemis Programme, will help the scientists in mapping the resources at the lunar south pole that can one day also be harvested for long-term human exploration on the moon.
- Throughout the Artemis Program, the US Space Agency will be sending humans and robots to explore more of the moon than ever before.
Microsoft will retire Internet Explorer 11 in June 2022
Microsoft announced that the Internet Explorer 11 desktop browser will be retired on June 15, 2022, for certain versions of Windows 10.
- The company noted that legacy Internet Explorer-based websites and applications will continue to work on the new Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer) mode until 2029.
- The company has been moving away from Internet Explorer over the past year as it has been working Microsoft Edge with IE mode to replace the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application on certain versions of Windows 10.
Indian Commonwealth Day
Indian Commonwealth Day is celebrated on May 24. Also known as Empire Day, Commonwealth Day commemorates the formation of the British Empire in India and other colonies of Britain.
- This year the theme for Commonwealth Day is: Delivering a Common Future.
- The aim of this theme is to highlight how the 54 Commonwealth countries are innovating, connecting and transforming to help achieve essential goals like tackling climate change, promoting good governance, achieving gender equality.
International Day for Biological Diversity
The International Day for Biological Diversity is a United Nations–sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues. It is currently held on May 22.
- “We’re part of the solution” is the theme for International Day for Biological Diversity 2021.