Daily Current Affairs 26 November 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind inaugurates Adarsh village Sui in Haryana’s Bhiwani
The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind visited Sui village in the Bhiwani district of Haryana, to inaugurate various public facilities in the village.
- This village is being developed as Adarsh Gram (Model village) by Mahadevi Parameshwaridas Jindal Charitable Trust under the Swa-Prerit Adarsh Gram Yojana (SPAGY) scheme of the Haryana Government.
- The Jindal trust has undertaken developmental works of over Rs 25 crore to transform Sui into an ADARSH VILLAGE.
- It must be noted that Bhiwani is the first district in India where two Presidents have visited. Prior to this President APJ Abdul Kalam visited Bhiwani in 2007.
Andhra Pradesh Named Best Marine State, Telangana Top Performer In Inland Fisheries
Telangana was adjudged best performer in inland fisheries, while Andhra Pradesh was named the best marine state in the country by the Centre.
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Parshottam Rupala announced the awards at a programme to celebrate World Fisheries Day in Bhubaneswar.
- Balasore in Odisha was named the best marine district, and Balaghat in Madhya Pradesh received the award for the best district in inland fisheries.
- The award for the best hilly and Northeastern state in the sector was given to Tripura. Bongaigaon in Assam received the award in this category for being the best district.
- Rupala said that the Centre has set a target of achieving Rs 1 lakh crore export from the sector by 2024-25.
PM Modi calls for constitution of high-power police technology mission for grassroot policing
Prime Minister Narendra Modi called for adoption of future technologies for grass root policing requirements and development of inter-operable technologies which would benefit Police forces across the country.
- The Prime Minister was addressing the valedictory session of the 56th Conference of Director Generals of Police (DGPs) and Inspector Generals of Police (IGPs).
- Prime Minister Modi called for constituting a High-Power Police Technology Mission, under the leadership of Union Home Minister to adopt future technologies for grass root policing requirements.
HM Amit Shah lays foundation stone of Rani Gaidinliu Tribal Freedom Fighters Museum in Manipur
Union Home Minister Amit Shah virtually laying the foundation stone of the Rani Gaidinliu tribal freedom fighters’ museum at Luangkao Village in Tamenglong District of Manipur.
- The museum will be constructed under the funding of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs with an estimated cost of 15 crore rupees.
Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates Centres for nano technology and Indian Knowledge System at IIT Guwahati
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the state-of-the-art Centre for Nanotechnology (CNT) and Centre for Indian Knowledge System (CIKS) at IIT Guwahati. He also released a book on NEP 2020 implementation.
- The CNT aims at meeting future challenges and augmenting academic partnerships with industries in the field of nanotechnology.The CNT will host 25 laboratories that will focus on advancements in multi-disciplinary and scientific research.
- The majority of funding for the centre, which included Rs 37 crore for constructing the building, apart from equipment, was received from the Union Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
India Has More Women Than Men for the First Time, NFHS Survey Finds
Indicating a demographic shift, the number of women surpassed men for the first time in India with the sex ratio being 1,020: 1,000, according to findings of the National Family and Health Survey-5.
- With this, we can say India moves in the league of the developed countries – as the sex ratio crosses 1000,” a health ministry official said, attributing it to measures taken for women empowerment such as financial inclusion and for combating gender bias and disparities.
- The sex ratio at birth also improved from 919 in 2015-16 to 929 in 2019-20, indicating the positive impact of measures like implementation of the PC and PNDT Act and various other interventions. According to NFHS-3, conducted in 2005-06, the sex ratio was 1000: 1000 and in 2015-16 (NHFS-4), it declined to 991:1000.
Union Cabinet approves Privatization of Electricity Distribution and Retail Supply Business in Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu
Union Cabinet has approved the Privatization of Electricity Distribution and Retail Supply Business in the Union Territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu.
- The privatization process will fulfill the desired outcomes of better services to over 1.45 lakh consumers of the UT, operational improvements and functional efficiencies in distribution and provide a model for emulation by other utilities across the country.
- This will further lead to an increase in competition and strengthen the electricity industry and will also lead to recovery of unrealized dues.
13th ASEM Summit held virtually, hosted by Cambodia
The 13th edition of the ASEM (Asia-Europe Meeting) Summit held in a virtual platform, which was hosted by Cambodia as ASEM The Indian delegation is being led by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu through the virtual platform.
- The theme of the two-day ASEM Summit is Strengthening Multilateralism for Shared Growth. The 2021 summit marks the 25th anniversary of the ASEM process.
- The ASEM Summit will bring together countries in Asia and Europe to exchange views on regional and global issues and strengthen cooperation in a wide range of areas.
El Salvador plans to build world’s first Bitcoin City
El Salvador President Nayib Bukele has announced that the country is planning to build the world’s first “Bitcoin City”.
- The new city is planned to be developed in the eastern region of La Union and will be initially funded by bitcoin-backed bonds. It would get geothermal power from a volcano.
- Bitcoin City will not levy any taxes except for value-added tax (VAT). One half of this VAT levied will be used to fund the bonds issued to build the city and the next half would be used to pay for services such as garbage collection.
BANKING & FINANCE
Asian Development Bank Approves USD 1.5 Billion Loan to India for Purchasing Covid-19 Vaccines
The Asian Development Bank has approved a USD 1.5 billion (around Rs 11,185 crore) loan to India for COVID-19 vaccine procurement.
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank is expected to co-finance an additional USD 500 million for the project.
NPCI Bharat BillPay ties up with Tata Power
NPCI Bharat BillPay – the wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) announced its integration with Tata Power, the country’s largest integrated power utility on ClickPay – making it the first power company to go live on the newly launched platform.
- Bharat BillPay’s marquee offering – ClickPay will enable Tata Power customers to make monthly electricity bill payments with ease.
- Tata Power will generate the ClickPay link and share it with customers which will redirect them to the payment page comprising payment details.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
UBS revises India’s GDP growth forecast to 9.5% from 8.9% for FY22
Citing faster-than-expected recovery, rising consumer confidence and the resultant spending spike, Swiss brokerage UBS Securities has revised upwards its growth forecast for the current fiscal to 9.5 per cent from 8.9 per cent in September.
- The brokerage also sees the economy clipping at 7.7 per cent in FY23 but moderating to 6 per cent in FY24, as it expects the benefit of the low-interest rate regime to end by the end of FY23, and it sees the central bank hiking policy rates by 50 bps in the second half of the next fiscal.
Govt targets to increase country’s marine exports to Rs 1 lakh crore by 2024-25 : MoS L Murugan
Minister of State for Fisheries and Information & Broadcasting Dr. L. Murugan said that the government has targetted to increase marine exports from the country to one lakh crore rupees by 2024-25 fiscal.
- The Minister said five fishing harbors in the country including Kochi, Chennai,Vishakhapatanam and Paradip will be modernised to international levels, which will help boost exports. Ice plants and processing units will be set up at the fishing harbours as part of the modernisation programme.
- He said the detailed project report of the seaweed processing facility at a special economic zone in Tamil Nadu is getting ready. The facility will help to generate employment for fisherwomen and would lead to their economic empowerment.
Spain’s Garbine Muguruza Beats Anett Kontaveit to Win WTA Finals Title
Garbine Muguruza made light work of Anett Kontaveit to register a 6-3, 7-5 victory over the Estonian star to win the WTA Finals title for the first time in her career and improve her record playing in Mexico at 14 wins and two losses.
- Muguruza, who won back-to-back titles in Monterrey in northern Mexico in 2018 and 2019, became the first Spaniard to win the women´s season-ending tournament.
- The WTA Finals were played in Guadalajara for this year only, with the event scheduled to return in 2022 to Shenzhen, China.
Maharashtra government ropes in Salman Khan to promote vaccination drives
Maharashtra Public Health Minister Rajesh Tope has said there was hesitancy about taking anti-coronavirus vaccines in Muslim-dominated areas, and the government will take the help of Bollywood superstar Salman Khan to convince people to take the jab.
- Over 10.25 crore vaccine doses have been administered in the state so far, and by the end of November all eligible persons will have received at least the first dose, the minister said.
Himachal Pradesh’s Kamdhenu Hitkari Manch awarded ‘Gopal Ratna’ by Govt
Himachal Pradesh’s Kamdhenu Hitkari Manch, Namhol in district Bilaspur has been selected as ‘Best Milk Cooperative Society’ and is being awarded ‘Gopal Ratna’ Award by the Ministry of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Government of India.
- Kamdhenu Hitkari Manch with about 5445 active farmer members is one of the leading Societies in the State and being awarded with the prestigious ‘Gopal Ratna’ Award in the category of Best Dairy Cooperative Society.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Delhi Airport to Become Net Zero Carbon Emission Airport by 2030, Says DIAL
The Delhi airport will become a net zero carbon emission facility by 2030, said its operator DIAL.
- Achieving “carbon neutral” or “net zero carbon emission” status refers to a policy of not increasing carbon emissions and of achieving carbon reduction through offsets.
Eminent Assamese Poet Sananta Tanty passes away
Sahitya Akademi Award-winning poet Sananta Tanty died at a private hospital in New Delhi after a prolonged illness. He was 69.
- Tanty received several awards and recognitions, including the Sahitya Akademi in 2016 for ‘Kailoir Dinto Amar Hobo’ (Tomorrow Will Be Ours), a collection of his poems in Assamese.
Prominent Minnesota Poet, Writer Robert Bly passes away
Robert Bly, one of the most prominent American poets of the last half century and author of the best-selling men’s movement classic “Iron John,” has died. He was 94.
- Bly, an active poet, writer and editor for more than 50 years, has won the National Book Award in 1968 for “The Light Around the Body,” a book of Vietnam War protest poems. Bly donated the $1,000 prize money to the draft resistance movement.