Daily Current Affairs 26 October 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Southern Railway launches new app ‘Rail Dhandora’
In a bid to reduce usage of paper for day-to-day operations, the Information Technology Cell of Passenger Marketing Wing, Southern Railway released a new application called Rail Dhandora.
- The Android app is for Railway employees and customers, who can use it in their day-to-day working and transactions with Railways.
Odisha govt inks LoU for ‘drink from tap mission’ with UNICEF
In a bid to provide quality drinking water to every urban household in the state, Odisha has inked a Letter of Understanding (LoU) on “drink from tap mission” with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- UNICEF will provide technical cooperation to the government of Odisha for implementation of the “drink from tap” program which aims at providing piped quality drinking water supply to each household on a 24-hour basis, in first phase 1.20 lakh people are going to benefit.
CBSE, NCERT launches ‘Tamanna’ aptitude test for Class 9, 10 students
In a bid to help students make the right career choices, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) have launched an online aptitude test called as ‘Tamanna’ (Try And Measure Aptitude And Natural Abilities).
- Tamanna is an aptitude test that aims at helping students of Class 9 and 10 make a better choice of subjects, eventually helping them in making an informed decision while choosing subjects in Class 11 and 12.
“Global Bio-India 2019” Summit to be held in New Delhi
The Global Bio-India 2019 will be held for the first time in India in New Delhi from 21st to 23rd November, 2019. It is one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders integration programme.
- India is hosting this mega event for the biotech community to attract investments and showcase our indigenous strengths and aspirations of the indigenous talent pool.
BANKING & FINANCE
IOB launches health care plus insurance policy
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) in association with Universal Sompo General Insurance Co Ltd. has launched an upgraded health care plus insurance policy.
- It is a co-branded insurance scheme exclusively designed for IOB customers with a sum insured starting from ₹50,000 and going up to ₹15 lakh.
Jasprit Bumrah, Smriti Mandhana win Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award
Fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah and batswoman Smriti Mandhana won the Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award. They were the two winners from India among five who won the award.
- The other winners from Asia were Pakistan’s Fakhar Zaman, Sri Lanka’s Dimuth Karunaratne, and Afghanistan’s Rashid Khan.
- The book titled “Cricket Country: The Untold History of the First All India Team” by Prashant Kidambi was adjudged the Wisden India Book of the Year 2019 (Published by Penguin India).
IAS officer Arvind Singh appointed chairman of AAI
Senior IAS officer Arvind Singh has been appointed as the chairman of Airports Authority of India and Sukhbir Singh Sandhu will head the National Highways Authority of India as part of a major bureaucratic reshuffle effected by the Centre.
Marg ERP promoter gets Udyog Rattan Award
The promoters of Marg ERP, which provides inventory and accounting software to over one million active users including to 2,50,000 MSMEs, has bagged Udyog Rattan Award from the Government.
- Thakur Anup Singh Chairman and Managing Director of Marg ERP, the company which has presence in over 25 countries worldwide, won the award for his exceptional work in transforming how MSMEs can accelerate their business by using technology.
Bill Gates overtakes Jeff Bezos as the world’s richest person
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates overtook Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person. Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos lost the title as the world’s richest man to Bill Gates, after losing nearly $7 billion in stock value leaving his net worth to $103.9 billion.
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is currently worth $105.7 billion.
Former Gujarat CM Dilip Parikh passes away
Former Gujarat Chief Minister Dilip Parikh passed away following a prolonged illness. He was 82.
- He served as the 13th Chief Minister of Gujarat during 1997-98 when he was with Rashtriya Janata Party – RJP, floated by Shankersinh Vaghela.