Daily Current Affairs 26 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
UP govt renames Faizabad Railway Junction as Ayodhya Cantt
Uttar Pradesh government has decided to rename the Faizabad Railway Junction as Ayodhya Cantt.
- A notification for the official change will be issued soon be issued after getting approval from the Centre.
- Another proposal to change the name of Firozabad district to Chandra Nagar has also been doing the rounds
India, UK, Australia launches IRIS at COP26
India, along with Australia, the UK and small island developing states (SIDS) will be launching a new initiave for Infrastructure for Resilient Island States (IRIS) on the sidelines of the upcoming Conference of Parties (COP26).
- The platform is aimed at creating a coalition for putting in place infrastructure that can withstand disasters and lessen economic losses in island nations.
- Australia, India and the UK have committed an initial funding of $10 million for IRIS. More countries, including Japan, are expected to contribute to the initiative.
Climate change: 14% of global coral lost as sea temperatures rise
Close to 14 per cent of the world’s coral reef have been lost since 2019 as rising temperatures take a toll on marine ecosystems across the planet. The new figures were released as part of the Status of Coral Reefs of the World: 2020 report, which analysed global coral reef health spanning 40 years in 73 countries.
- More than 300 scientists worked across 12,000 coral sites to conduct two million individual observations and document the relentless stress on the ecosystem caused by climate change and other local pressures such as overfishing, unsustainable coastal development and declining water quality.
- The report said that Since 1978 there has been a 9 per cent decline in the amount of hard coral worldwide, while between 2010 and 2019, the amount of algae has increased by 20 per cent.
- The greatest impacts of this mass bleaching event were seen in the Indian Ocean, Japan, and the Caribbean, with smaller impacts observed in the Red Sea, The Gulf, the northern Pacific in Hawaii and the Caroline Islands.
BANKING & FINANCE
Future Generali India Insurance enters into bancassurance tie-up with Bank of India
Private sector general insurer Future Generali India Insurance (FGII) has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with the Bank of India (BoI) for further penetration of its general insurance products.
- Through this alliance, FGII will offer its wide array of best-in-class and innovative insurance solutions to 5,084 BoI branches spread across 28 States and 8 Union Territories.
Yamaha’s Fabio Quartararo becomes first Frenchman to win the MotoGP world championship
Yamaha’s Fabio Quartararo became the first Frenchman to win the MotoGP world championship following a fourth-placed finish in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix as his closest title contender Francesco Bagnaia of Ducati crashed.
- Pole sitter Bagnaia was leading Ducati’s home race when he crashed with five laps to go, handing Honda’s Marc Marquez the race victory and the world title to Quartararo who has an unassailable lead in the standings with two races left.
Max Verstappen wins F1 United States Grand Prix 2021
Max Verstappen has won the 2021 United States Grand Prix held at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, United States. Lewis Hamilton stood second while Sergio Perez came third.
- This is the 8th win for Verstappen in this season. The race was the 17th round of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.
Lucknow and Ahmedabad become home to the two newest IPL franchises
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) unveiled Ahmedabad and Lucknow as the two new teams for the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 after CVC Capitals Partners and Sanjiv Goenka’s RPSG Group successfully bid for the franchises in Dubai’s Taj Hotel.
- The RPSG Group picked Lucknow as their home base with a winning bid of Rs 7090 crores while CVC Capital Partners have opted for Ahmedabad with a bid of Rs 5625 crores.
- The IPL 2022 season will comprise ten teams and will have 74 matches, wherein each team will play 7 home and 7 away matches.
Zimbabwe’s Dangarembga receives German peace prize
Zimbabwean author and filmmaker Tsitsi Dangarembga has received the 2021 Peace Prize of the German Book Trade. Along with her artistic endeavors, she has been committed to protecting civil liberties in her home country.
- Dangarembga is the first Black woman to win the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade, which is endowed with 25,000 euros ($29,100) and has been awarded since 1950.
- Dangarembga is known for her works including the bestselling novel, “Nervous Conditions” and its sequel, “This Mournable Body.”
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
France launches Syracuse 4A military communications satellite
France has successfully launched a state-of-the-art satellite into orbit, designed to allow all of France’s armed forces across the globe to communicate swiftly and securely.The Ariane-5 rocket carrying the Syracuse 4A satellite took off from Kourou, in French Guiana.
- The satellite is designed to resist military aggression from the ground and in space, as well as interference.
- The satellite can survey its close surroundings and move itself to escape an attack.
Indian Navy receives 11th P-8I aircraft from Boeing
The Indian Navy has received the 11th anti-submarine warfare aircraft P-8I from the U.S.-based aerospace company Boeing.
- This is the third aircraft to be delivered under the option contract for four additional aircraft that the Indian Ministry of Defence awarded in 2016.
US conducts ‘successful’ test of hypersonic missile technology
The United States successfully tested hypersonic missile technology in Wallops, Virginia , a new weapons system which is already being deployed by China and Russia, the US Navy said.
- Hypersonic missiles, like traditional ballistic missiles, can fly more than five times the speed of sound (Mach 5).
- This test demonstrated advanced hypersonic technologies, capabilities, and prototype systems in a realistic operating environment.
Election Commission Of India Launches Garuda App For Digital Mapping Of Polling Booths
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the Garuda app for digital mapping of all polling stations, to ensure faster, smarter, transparent and timely completion of election work.
- Through the Garuda app, Booth Level Officers (BLO) will upload photos and location information of the polling stations, along with data like latitude and longitude of the centre, from their registered mobile numbers.The app will also help in reducing the paperwork.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Anthology of author Ruskin Bond’s works released
A new anthology consisting of some outstanding stories, poems, and essays by award-winning author Ruskin Bond was released recently.
- “Writing for My Life”, an anthology has been released 25 years after the first anthology of Bond titled, “The Best of Ruskin Bond”.
- The selections for this anthology have been made by Bond himself and his editor Premanka Goswami.
NITI Aayog launches Innovations for You Digi-Book
The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of NITI Aayog has launched a Digi-book named “Innovations for You”. The sector in focus in this Digi-book is Healthcare.
- The book is a compilation of 45 health tech startups, incubated at Atal Incubation Centres spread across the country.
“Kamala Harris: Phenomenal Woman” book by Chidanand Rajghatta
A new book written by Chidanand Rajghatta, journalist and author, traces the life and rise to power of “phenomenal woman” and US Vice President Kamala Harris.
- Published by HarperCollins India, the book Kamala Harris: Phenomenal Woman will be released on 28 October on ‘Softcover’, ThePrint’s online venue to release select non-fiction books.