Daily Current Affairs 26 September 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government celebrates ‘Bharat ke Kaushalzaade’ on the eve of Antyodaya Diwas
On the eve of Antyodaya Diwas 2017, the government has celebrated the “Bharat Ke Kaushalzaade” occasion on 24th September this year. Antyodaya Diwas has completed 3 years this year. on this occasion the government has celebrated the youth skill development programs that has encouraged the youth talent in rural areas.
Rajnath Singh Unveils ‘PENCIL’ Portal On Child Labour Elimination
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has launched a web portal called ‘PENCIL’ for effective implementation of the National Child Labour Project, (NCLP) in the National Conference on Child Labour organized by Ministry of Labour & Employment.
- PENCIL (Platform for Effective Enforcement for No Child Labour) — an electronic platform for no child labour in the country is being developed by the Labour Ministry.
- PENCIL portal has five components — Child Tracking System, Complaint Corner, State Government, National Child Labour Project and Convergence.
Vice-President inaugurates a Crusade for Toilets” in Karnataka
The Vice President, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu, today inaugurated the Swachhta Hi Seva” and Shouchalayakkagi Samara” (A Crusade For Toilets) Programme in Karnataka in an ocassion.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Vice President emphasized the need for Swachhata to become a jan aandolan.
Thaawarchand Gehlot launches ‘Divyang Sarathi’ Mobile Application
Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment launched the Beta version of ‘Divyang Sarathi’—The accessible and comprehensive mobile application for easy dissemination of information to ‘Divyangjans’.
- The mobile application is bound to empower the ‘Divyangjans’ by providing easier and convenient access of information to them as they can now understand all details pertaining to the schemes, scholarships, etc.
Karnataka govt launches Vision-2025 project
The Karnataka government has launched ‘Vision-2025’ project aimed at evolving a draft policy for development of the state in next seven years by seeking the opinion of the public.
- Under the project, the government would seek public opinion on how they want their dream state to be in the next seven years. Information will be collected after discussing with public representatives and the general public that will help to bring out a draft vision policy for the year 2025.
- Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah also launched the website ‘www.navakarnataka2025.in’
Israel to boost ‘White Revolution’ in Haryana
The ‘White Revolution’ in Haryana is set to get an Israeli boost. A leading state in milk production, Haryana would now benefit from the techniques and experience of Israel, leader in milk production in the world, for increasing the average milk production
Isro’s Mars Orbiter Mission completes 3 years in orbit
India’s rendezvous with the red planet continues as its celebrated Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) completes three years in orbit.
- The country had on 24 September 2014 successfully placed the Mars Orbiter Mission spacecraft in the orbit around the red planet, in its very first attempt, thus breaking into an elite club.
Apple, Google and Microsoft top list of the 100 most valuable brands
Apple and Google respectively have once again take the two top spots in a list of the world’s 100 most valuable brands, according to rankings by consultancy group Interbrand. This is the fifth consecutive year with Apple and Google at the top of the list.
Russia launches world’s biggest, most powerful icebreaker
Russia has launched the world’s largest and most powerful icebreaker ship, designed to transport cargo via the Northern Sea Route in the Arctic Ocean. The nuclear-powered vessel, capable of breaking ice fields up to three metres thick, will also carry out rescue work in ice conditions and ice-free waters.
IDBI Bank initiates ‘Project Nishchay’ to improve financial performance
Public sector lender IDBI Bank has initiated a turnaround plan – ‘Project Nishchay’ in consultation with The Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The project aims to accelerate the struggling lender’s turnaround programme and improve financial performance. The project will be led by senior management at IDBI Bank along with BCG.
- The bank is under the Reserve Bank of India’s prompt corrective action framework which means that the bank has to conserve capital and find ways to return to profitability. The bank is also not allowed to open new branches or lend to potentially risky companies
Flipkart acquires F1 Info Solutions
E-commerce major Flipkart has acquired mobiles and IT products repair services company, F1 Info Solutions for an undisclosed amount.
- F1 is a service partner of brands like Apple, Samsung, HP, Lenovo, Sony and Asus among others.
ADB trims India’s FY18 growth forecast to 7% over low private consumption
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has lowered India’s growth forecast to 7% for 2017-18 owing to weakness in private consumption, manufacturing output and business investment in its Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2017. Earlier it was projected at 7.4%. Also the outlook for 2018-19 is now at 7.4 per cent from the previous 7.6 per cent projection.
ADB raises Asia growth outlook at 5.9%, flags risks from Fed unwinding
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said that the developing Asia is on track to grow faster this year and next. Developing Asia is expected to grow by 5.9 and 5.8 percent in 2017 and 2018, respectively.
Kandla Port renamed Deendayal Port
The Kandla Port Trust has been renamed Deendayal Port Trust. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had suggested renaming the Kandla Port after Upadhyay “who stood up for the upliftment of the poor and weaker sections of society”.
INS Tarasa commissioned into Indian Navy
INS Tarasa, a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft intended for extended coastal and offshore surveillance and patrolling, has been commissioned into the Indian Navy.
- It is the fourth and last of the Water Jet FACs built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata.
- The first two — INS Tarmugli and INS Tihayu — were commissioned in 2016 and are based in Vishakhapatnam, and the third, INS Tillanchang, was commissioned in March this year and is based in Karwar.
- Incidentally, this is the second ship to be christened INS Tarasa — the first INS Tarasa which served the Indian Navy from 1999 to 2014 was gifted to the Seychelles Coast Guard.
Lakshmanan wins 5,000m gold at National Open Athletics
Govindan Lakshmanan won the men’s 5000 metre race on the opening day of the 57th National Open Athletics Championships at the Nehru Stadium, New Delhi.
Shashi Shanker appointed CMD of ONGC
Shashi Shanker has been appointed as the chairman and managing director (CMD) of India’s biggest oil and gas producer ONGC.
David Harquail appointed Chairman of World Gold Council
The World Gold Council has appointed President and Chief Executive of Franco-Nevada Corporation David Harquail as its new Chairman.
- The World Gold Council is the market development organisation for the gold industry. It works across all parts of the industry, from gold mining to investment, and their aim is to stimulate and sustain demand for gold. Headquartered in London United Kingdom, they have offices in India, China, Singapore, Japan and the United States.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Madhur Bhandarkar, Hema Malini to be felicitated in Russia
National Award-winning filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and veteran actress Hema Malini will be felicitated at the 4th Indian Film Festival of Russia, for their contribution to Indian cinema.
- Bhandarkar’s latest film “Indu Sarkar” will also be screened at the festival following the opening ceremony.
Nooyi, Kochhar, Shikha on Fortune’s most powerful women in business list
Two Indians — Chanda Kochhar and Shikha Sharma — have made it to the rankings of most powerful women in business outside the United States drawn up by the Fortune magazine while Indra Nooyi featured in the top three on the US edition list.
- The Most Powerful Women in Business Outside the US list, which was topped by Banco Santander group executive chairman Ana Botin, placed ICICI Bank’s Kochhar at the fifth spot while Axis Bank’s Sharma has been ranked 21st.
- PepsiCo chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi came in at No. 2 on the US Most Powerful Women in Business list, led by General Motors chairman and CEO Mary Barra.
Patanjali CEO among top 10 richest Indians with ₹70,000 cr wealth
Patanjali Ayurved CEO Acharya Balkrishna has been named among India’s top 10 richest people for the first time in Hurun Rich List 2017, with a wealth of ₹70,000 crore. Now India’s 8th richest person, Balkrishna saw a 173% increase in his wealth in a year. Notably, he is the most followed entrepreneur on the Indian social media.
- Mukesh Ambani retains the richest Indian title for the sixth year.