Daily Current Affairs 27 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
HRD Ministry launches National Digital Library of India
Human Resource Development Ministry under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology, NMEICT has launched the National Digital Library of India project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility.
- National Digital Library has been integrated with UMANG App and users can register through www.ndl.gov.in or through the mobile app.
Centre for avian ecotoxicology inaugurated in Coimbatore
A National Centre for Avian Ecotoxicology was inaugurated at Salim Ali Centre for Ornithlogy and Natural Sciences (SACON) in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- The centre would study the movement of environmental contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, poly-cyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, poly chlorinated biphenyls and drugs through food chain, and their harmful effects on birds.
7th ‘Community Radio Sammelan’ held in Delhi
The seventh ‘Community Radio Sammelan’ held in New Delhi during which representatives of community radio stations discussed experiences and possibilities of programming for raising awareness on sustainable development goals in a better manner.
- The ‘Sammelan’, being organised at Dr B R Ambedkar Bhawan by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, also witnessed discussion on various flagship schemes of the government such as the Jal Shakti Abhiyaan and efforts for disaster risk reduction.
4th edition of Internet of Things (IoT) India Congress 2019 held
- The fourth edition of India’s largest confluence of digital-technology stakeholders, the IoT India Congress 2019 concluded its two-day event in Bangalore with a footfall of 1600+ participants and 70+ speakers. The IoT India Congress is the platform of platforms for the Internet of Things. This year’s theme was ‘Mainstreaming the Internet of Things’.
- The two-day session focussed on ten tracks, namely: Energy, Healthcare, Defence, Standards and Regulatory, Retail, Digital Communication, Skills and Development, Agriculture, Manufacturing and Smart Cities.
Microsoft to train 5000 govt employees on AI, cloud
Microsoft India launched a program under which it will train 5000 government employees over the next year on AI (artificial intelligence) and cloud computing skills. This program was inaugurated by Amitabh Kant, chief executive of NITI Aayog.
- The program, called ‘Digital Governance Tech Tour’, will comprise of physical and virtual workshops. The program will be open for technocrats and IT professionals across the government, including employees of Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs).
Indo Pacific Chiefs of Defence conference held in Thailand
The 2019 Indo Pacific Chiefs of Defence (CHOD) Conference held in Bangkok, Thailand in which Air Chief Marshal and Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee, Birender Singh Dhanoa participated. The theme for the conference was “Collaboration in a free and Open Indo – Pacific”.
- The conference provided perspectives on common challenges faced by attending nations and elicit open discussions on the same.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI to transfer Rs 1,76,051 crore to Government
The Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the transfer of Rs 1,76,051 crore to the Government of India.
- The top bank’s decision is in line with the recommendations of the Bimal Jalan Committee.
- RBI in consultation with the Government of India had constituted an Expert Committee to Review the Extant Economic Capital Framework of the Reserve Bank of India under the chairmanship of Dr Bimal Jalan.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Q1 FY20 GDP growth pegged at 6 pc: FICCI Economic Outlook Survey
FICCI’s latest Economic Outlook Survey released puts the quarterly median forecast at 6 per cent for GDP growth in the first quarter of 2019-20.
- Furthermore, the annual median GDP growth forecast for 2019-20 has been pegged at 6.9 per cent with a minimum and maximum estimate of 6.7 per cent and 7.2 per cent respectively.
- While the median growth forecast for agriculture and allied activities has been put at 2.2 per cent for 2019-20, the industry and services sectors are expected to grow by 6.9 per cent and 8 per cent respectively.
Indian Bank, Tata AIG General Insurance tie up
Indian Bank has joined hands with Tata AIG General Insurance to offer the latter’s diverse range of general insurance policies benefiting the bank’s customers by way of protection, wealth creation and savings.
- Tata AIG General Insurance will work with the bank for sales training, product support and ensuring smooth operational processes.
Amazon India launches employment programme for ex-servicemen and their spouses
Amazon India announced the launch of a Military Veterans Employment programme that it said will create hundreds of opportunities for military veterans and their spouses across Amazon India’s Fulfillment Centres, Sort Centres and Delivery Centres in the country.
- Amazon relates to and respects the principles and work ethics of those who have served, and believes they have the ability to think big, invent and simplify on behalf of its customers, it was stated.
Microsoft and ISB partner to advance AI skilling in India
The Indian School of Business (ISB) and Microsoft India announced a new partnership to take forward their shared vision for an AI-empowered India at an event in Hyderabad.
- Through the creation of the AI Digital Lab, the two organizations will collaborate in research which will use Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to study issues that are relevant for business and public policy.
Sumit Nagal becomes first Indian to win a set against Roger Federer
Sumit Nagal became the first Indian to win a set against Roger Federer. Nagal achieved the feat during his first-round match against Federer in the US Open as he outclassed him in the first set. Nagal ended up losing the match 6-4, 1-6,2-6,4-6 against Federer.
Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 Announced
Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards are given every year to recognize the achievements of persons in the fields of adventure, to encourage young people to develop the spirit of endurance, risk–taking, cooperative teamwork and quick, ready and effective reflexes in challenging situations and to provide incentive to the young people for getting exposed to the adventure activities.
- The award is given in four categories namely, Land Adventure, Water Adventure, Air Adventure and Life Time Achievement.
|1.||Ms. Aparna Kumar||Land Adventure|
|2.||Late Shri Dipankar Ghosh||Land Adventure|
|3.||Shri Manikandan K.||Land Adventure|
|4.||Shri Prabhat Raju Koli||Water Adventure|
|5.||Shri RameshwerJangra||Air Adventure|
|6.||Shri Wangchuk Sherpa||Life Time Achievement|
Country’s first woman DGP Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya passes away
The first woman Director General of Police (DGP), Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, passed away following an illness. Bhattachary, a 1973 batch IPS officer, made history when she was appointed the DGP of Uttarakhand in the year 2004.
Naval war hero Noel Kelman dies at 92
Naval war hero and Kirti Chakra awardee, Commander Noel Kelman, passed away at the age of 92 following a brief illness.