Daily Current Affairs 27 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Ministry of Culture announces seven new circles of ASI
The Ministry of Culture has announced 7 new circles of Archaeological Survey of India, ASI.
- The new circles have been created in Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh), Trichy (Tamil Nadu), Jhansi and Meerut (Uttar Pradesh), Hampi (Karnataka), Raiganj (West Bengal) and Rajkot (Gujarat) have been created.
- The Hampi mini circle has been upgraded to a circle, and the Delhi mini circle has been merged with the Delhi circle.
Haryana Government inks MoU with M3M Foundation to facilitate students’ online preparation for government jobs
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the Haryana employment department and M3M Foundation to facilitate students’ for online preparation for government jobs.
- The objective of the MoU is to build and strengthen the partnership between both institutions to enable students to access quality preparation for entrance examinations of government jobs.
- Through this MoU, a program will be run to select 50,000 candidates for online training based on their past performance in government examinations in the state.
TN women top the list of MUDRA loan scheme beneficiaries
Over 15 crore loans amounting to ₹4.78-lakh-crore have been disbursed to women borrowers since the inception of the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) with Tamil Nadu topping the list in availing the loan followed by women in West Bengal and Karnataka.
- As on March 31 women in Tamil Nadu had availed ₹58,227 crore loan from the scheme followed by West Bengal ₹55,232 crore, Karnataka ₹47,714 crore, Bihar ₹44,879 crore and Maharashtra ₹42,000 crore loan.
- Together women from these five States have got 52 per cent of the total MUDRA loan for women. Loans under this scheme are extended to eligible borrowers for manufacturing, processing, trading, services, and activities allied to agriculture, which help in creating income-generating activities and employment.
Gujarat tops in first ever Export Preparedness index 2020 released by NITI Ayog
Gujarat has been ranked first in the first ever Export Preparedness index 2020 released by NITI Ayog.
- The report says, overall, most of the Coastal States are the best performers. Gujarat, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu occupy the top three ranks.
- It is the first of its kind index on the lines of ease of doing business ranking, which has ranked all the states and Union Territories on various parameters of export preparedness and competitiveness.
Handicraft production centre inaugurated in Guwahati, Assam
In a bid to give a boost to the Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Mission, a handicraft production centre is inaugurated in Guwahati by Assam Apex Weavers and Artisans Cooperative Federation Limited- ARTFED.
- The bamboo and cane based local items to be produced in the centre. During the lockdown period, the weavers under the ARTFED produced 13 thousand pieces of bedsheets and pillow covers for the National Health Mission.
NITI Aayog virtually launches India component of NDC- TIA
NITI Aayog virtually launched the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions(NDC) – Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA) .
- The event inform the transport, energy, and climate stakeholders in India about planned project activities for the upcoming year.
- It will also offer the opportunity to provide input about India’s transport challenges and how they relate to CO2 reduction ambitions.
VSSUT first to set up Space Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre with ISRO
The Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), Burla in Odisha’s Sambalpur district became the first University in the country to set up a Space Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- This initiative would help to boost the talent of young scientists.
- The VSSUT Space innovation centre will promote advanced space knowledge among students and create a conducive space culture in India
E-auction portal launched to promote trading of GI-tagged ‘Kashmir Saffron’
Jammu and Kashmir’s agriculture department has created an e-auction portal to promote trading of GI-tagged ‘Kashmir Saffron’.
- The Department, under the aegis of India International Kashmir Saffron Trading Centre (IIKSTC), has created the portal in collaboration with NSE-IT, with the sole motive to assure buyers to have ‘Kashmir Saffron’.
Rare fish sighted by Andhra University scientists in Sileru
A rare fish called Mahseer (scientific name Tor) was sighted and fished out from the upper part of Sileru river, by a team of researchers from the Department of Zoology, Andhra University.
- This fish is listed under the endangered category by IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature).It can grow up to 20 kg and the one found weighs around 7 kg and is over 47 cm long.
- Mahseer, as commonly called, is normally found in the Himalayan region in the rivers running through the cooler climes of Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Nepal and Bhutan. But it is rare to find it in this part of the country.
World Health Organization declares Africa free of polio
World Health Organization has declared Africa free of polio, a landmark in a decades-long campaign to eradicate the notorious disease around the world.
- A commission led by Prof. Rose Gana Fomban Leke, has certified that no cases had occurred on the continent for the past four years, the threshold for eradication of poliovirus.
BANKING & FINANCE
Axis Bank introduces ‘Liberty Savings Account’ for Indian youth
Axis Bank has launched a new savings account called the Axis Liberty Savings Account, aimed at millennial customers.
- It offers customers the option of maintaining a minimum balance of ₹25,000 per month or spending the same amount every month using the bank’s debit card.
- It also provides a complimentary insurance cover of ₹20,000, which includes expenses incurred for covid-19-related hospitalization.
- This account targets to meet the lifestyle requirements of the working class that falls under 35 years of age.
- It offers annual savings amounting to Rs 15,000. It also offers 4 complimentary airport lounge access in 1 year.
HSBC launches ‘Omni Collect’, one-stop solution for multiple payment options
HSBC India introduced Omni Collect, a one-stop solution to provide multiple payment options on single platform.
- The aim is to simplify the way businesses collect payments through various digital modes.
- Advanced Travel Partners International (ATPI), is HSBC India’s first client to go live with Omni Collect solution and has started receiving payments through the online payment gateway.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI to dissolve Banking Codes and Standards Board of India
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to dissolve the Banking Codes and Standards Board of India (BCSBI).
- BCSBI was set up by the Reserve Bank in February 2006 as an independent and autonomous body, assigned to formulate codes of conduct to be adopted by banks voluntarily for ensuring fair treatment of customers.
- BCSBI, in collaboration with the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA), has evolved two codes – Code of Bank’s Commitment to Customers and the Code of Bank’s Commitment to Micro and Small Enterprises – which set minimum standards of banking practices for member banks to follow when they are dealing with individual customers and micro and small enterprises.
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches cover for pet dogs
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has launched an insurance product Bajaj Allianz Pet Dog Insurance Policy for pet dogs.
- The product, Bajaj Allianz Pet Dog Insurance Policy, provides comprehensive coverage to domesticated pet dogs of indigenous origin, pedigree, non-pedigree, cross-bred and also exotic breeds over the lifetime of the dogs from age three months to 10 years.
- The premium starts from ₹315 and a 5 per cent discount on premium is available in case the dog is RFID-tagged.
England pacer James Anderson became 1st fast bowler in history to take 600 Test wickets
England pacer James Anderson became the first fast bowler in history to take 600 Test wickets.
- The 38-year-old was seven wickets away from the feat when he started playing the third Test against Pakistan at the Ageas Bowl.
- On Day 5 of the match, he dismissed Pakistan batsman Azhar Ali to claim his 600th wicket.
Poulomi Ghatak, Indian Table Tennis star announced retirement
Veteran Indian table tennis player from West Bengal, Poulomi Ghatak, has announced her retirement from the game to shift focus on coaching career.
- Ghatak, is a seven-time national champion, winning between 1998 and 2016.
- The 37-year-old had represented India at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006 and the Commonwealth Championships between 2000 and 2008.
- She entered the Olympics in Sydney for the first time when she was 16.
Vinay Tonse appointed as SBI Funds MD & CEO
SBI Funds Management said it has appointed Vinay M Tonse as MD & CEO, replacing Ashwani Bhatia who returned to parent State Bank of India (SBI) as its Managing Director.
- Tonse joined SBI as a Probationary Officer in 1988 and has worked across different locations in India and abroad.
‘Cricket Drona’, book on renowned coach Vasoo Paranjape set to release
A book title ‘Cricket Drona’ on renowned coach Vasudev Jagannath Paranjpe or Vasoo Paranjape will be released in September 2020.
- The book published by Penguin has been co-authored by Paranjape”s son, former India player and current national selector Jatin Paranjpe along with cricket journalist Anand Vasu.
- The book has essays written by Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Sunil Gavaskar.
Urdu poet Ashok Sahil passes away
Urdu poet Ashok Sahil passed away at a Meerut hospital after prolonged illness. He was 64.
World Water Week 2020
World Water Week 2020 is observed from 23-28 August, 2020. The World Water Week organized by Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) in Stockholm.
- It is the annual focal point for global water issues. This world-leading conference on water is now cancelled due to the global spread of COVID-19 and the measures taken by national and local authorities to contain the spread of the disease.
- World Water Week 2020 theme is ‘Water and Climate change: Accelerating Action’.