Daily Current Affairs 27 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Jordan King arrives in India today for 3-day visit
King of Jordan Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein arrived in India for a three-day visit. Defence, security and investments are going to be the key areas of discussion on the bilateral agenda.
Indian Railways launch idea competition, SRIJAN to redevelop over 600 stations
In a bid to redevelop over 600 major railway stations across the nation, an idea competition ‘SRIJAN’ (Station Rejuvenation through Joint Action) has been launched at MyGov portal since January 26, 2018, by Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC). All stakeholders like railway passengers, architects, urban planners, engineers are allowed to send their ideas and the last date to submit the entries is March 26, 2018.
- The redevelopment of 600 major railway stations was announced by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in Union Budget 2018, which was held on February 1 in the parliament.
Odisha launches ‘Khushi’ to provide free sanitary napkins
The Odisha government launched a scheme ‘Khushi’ to provide free sanitary pads to 17 lakh girl students across the state. The free sanitary napkin scheme is launched for girl students from Class 6 to 12 in all the government and government-aided schools in the state.
Indian Navy’s biennial multi-national military event Milan-2018 in March
The Indian military’s Andaman and Nicobar Command is going to host biennial multinational naval event ‘Milan-2018’ at Port Blair from March 6 to March 13 with the underlying theme of “friendship across the seas”.
- The theme of this year’s MILAN International Maritime Seminar is “In Pursuit of Maritime Good Order – Need for Comprehensive Information Sharing Apparatus”.
AAI launches aviation skill development center
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) launched the first of its kind Aviation Multi Skill Development Centre at Old Civil Air Terminal in Chandigarh. Civil Aviation Minister P. Ashok Gajapathi Raju inaugurated the ceremony.
Prepaid wallet: RBI refuses to extend deadline on KYC-compliance beyond Feb 28
The Reserve Bank said there would not be any extension to the February 28 deadline for mandatory KYC-compliance by prepaid wallet customers.
- However, customers who have balances in such wallets or prepaid payment instruments (PPIs) need not worry about their money even if they do not do the KYC (know-your- customer) norms, the central bank said.
RBI raises currency derivative trade limit to USD 100 mn
The Reserve Bank raised the exposure limit under exchange traded currency derivatives (ETCD) trading for residents and foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) to USD 100 million across all currency pairs involving the Indian rupee.
- The RBI’s decision to raise the limit will help entities engaged in forex transactions to maintain their currency risks in a better manner.
Google’s digital payment app ‘Tez’ integrates with SBI
Google announced a deeper integration with the State Bank of India (SBI) for its digital payment app “Tez” that will allow users to now create a SBI UPI Id — @oksbi and get access to exclusive offers for the SBI customers.
- “Tez” is built on the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), allowing users make payments from their bank accounts to other accounts from over 70 UPI-enabled banks.
India Ranks 47th On Inclusive Internet Index: Facebook
India has been ranked 47th out of 86 countries on the Inclusive Internet Index by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), which was commissioned by Facebook.
- Sweden took the first place, followed by Singapore and the US.
Bihar is national topper in FY17 growth, with 10.3 pc
Bihar clocked a growth rate of 10.3 per cent in 2016-2017 as against 7.5 per cent in the corresponding fiscal a year ago, riding largely on the back of the services sector, according to the latest Economic Survey tabled in the Bihar Assembly.
- Bihar’s growth rate is higher than that of the national average of 7.0 per cent.
Rashid Khan set to become youngest captain in international cricket
At 19 years of age, highly-rated Afghanistan leg-spinner Rashid Khan is set to become the youngest captain in the history of international cricket.
- The World’s No.1 ODI and Twenty20 International bowler, Rashid will lead Afghanistan.
TV Journalist Rahul Mahajan Named Rajya Sabha TV Editor-In-Chief
Television journalist Rahul Mahajan has been appointed as editor-in-chief of the television channel Rajya Sabha TV.
Eminent Odia Writer Kanakalata Mohanty Passes Away
Eminent Odia writer Kanakalata Mohanty passed away. Mohanty is the author of 12 novels and more than a 100 short stories. Her novels Ete Andhara, Kete Jwala and Anuradha shot her into the limelight in the 1960s.