Daily Current Affairs 27 June 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM launches ‘Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Yojana’ for migrant workers
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Abhiyan, a campaign to provide employment to 1.25 crore migrant workers and others in Uttar Pradesh, who lost their jobs during the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Atma Nirbhar Uttar Pradesh Rojgar Abhiyan will cover 31 districts of Uttar Pradesh, which has seen more than 30 lakh migrant labourers return home following the lockdown in the country.
- It will be undertaken as part of the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan that the Prime Minister started on June 20 for 116 districts in six states in the country
AP govt. launches YSR Kapu Nestham, to provide Rs 15,000 for eligible women
Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched ‘YSR Kapu Nestham’ at his camp office for the welfare of the women from Kapu community.
- Under the scheme, the government will provide Rs 15,000 per year for all the eligible women aged between 45 and 60 years for a period of five years
- Around 2.36 lakh women will benefit through the scheme in the first year and the amount will be credited in the bank accounts. The government allocated Rs 354 crore for the scheme in the first year.
Niti Aayog launches behaviour change campaign ‘navigating the new normal’
NITI Aayog launched behaviour change campaign ‘Navigating the New Normal’ and its website to help people follow norms to contain the spread of Covid-19.
- Focusing on Covid-safe behaviour, especially wearing masks, during the ‘Unlock’ phase of the Covid-19 pandemic, the campaign has been developed under the guidance of Empowered Group 6, chaired by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant
- The campaign has two parts. The first is a web portal containing resources informed by behavioural science and the use of nudge and social norms theory, related to Covid-safe behavioural norms during the ongoing Unlock phase and the second is a media campaign focused on the wearing of masks.
Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai Make Global Startup Ecosystem List
Two Indian cities made it onto the top 40 of the world’s most favourable ecosystems to build a globally successful startup, topped by the Silicon Valley in California.
- Bangalore was ranked 26th and Delhi 36th in The Global Startup Ecosystem Report 2020′ by Startup Genome, with Mumbai topping a parallel Top Emerging Ecosystems ranking.
- London and New York also overtook Silicon Valley in the connectedness ranking, a factor based on the number of tech meetups in the ecosystem and a life sciences-focused measure of accelerators and incubators, research grants, and R&D anchors in the ecosystem.
BANKING & FINANCE
Yes Bank, UDMA Technologies launch digital wallet Yuva Pay
Yes Bank announced the launch of ‘Yuva Pay, a digital wallet, in partnership with UDMA Technologies to enable contactless payments.
- Through the app, utility bills like municipal, house, water tax, electricity, LPG, DTH, mobilephone bill, licence fee, windmill and solar park fee, building sanction fees and billboard taxes can be paid via Bharat Bill Pay and Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- Besides, insurance renewal, fastag recharge, EMI payment, school fee can be paid through the facility,
IRDAI sets up panel on insurance for use drones
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has formed a working group to suggest insurance products covering the various risks involved in the use of drones.
- The nine-member panel headed by Anjan Dev, General Manager of The New India Assurance Co, has been asked to study and understand the insurance needs of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) owners and operators.
- Irdai has tasked the group to make recommendations relating to design and development of product/s meeting the needs of RPAS owners and operators, including third party liability.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Dharmendra Pradhan, Naveen Patnaik inaugurate Indian Oil’s PADC in Odisha
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik virtually inaugurated Product Application and Development Centre (PADC) in Paradip.
- Constructed on 5-acre of land with a capital expenditure of Rs 43 crore, the PADC has been set up by Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL) adjacent to its Refinery complex in Odisha’s Paradip.
- The PADC will not only perform a pivotal role in developing new materials and innovative applications but will also provide support to investors in setting up manufacturing units on the plastic and polymer sectors.
Australia, New Zealand win joint bid to host 2023 Fifa Women’s World Cup
Australia and New Zealand have beaten Colombia to win the bid to host the 2023 Women’s World Cup.
- In the vote by the FIFA Council, Australia and New Zealand beat Colombia 22-13 to host the tournament, which is being expanded to 32 teams
- The winning bid proposed 12 cities with seven in Australia and five in New Zealand. It includes the main stadium used for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
Liverpool win Premier League 2019/20 for first time
Thirty years of hurt came to an end for Liverpool when they were confirmed as Premier League champions courtesy of second-placed Manchester City’s 2-1 defeat by Chelsea
- Liverpool were last champions of England when they won the old First Division title in 1989-90 after which a decline in fortunes saw Manchester United and Arsenal, then Chelsea and Manchester City seize power.
Priyanka Chopra, Anurag Kashyap among ambassadors for virtual TIFF 2020
Actor Priyanka Chopra and filmmaker Anurag Kashyap are among the 50 celebrated filmmakers and actors invited as the ambassadors of a slimmed down Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) this year.
- Chopra and Kashyap will join Oscar winners and celebrated international names including filmmakers Martin Scorsese, Alfonso Cuaron, Taika Waititi, Ava DuVernay, Rian Johnson, Denis Villeneuve, and actors Nicole Kidman, Nadine Labaki, Riz Ahmed, Isabelle Huppert, Zhang Ziyi to help TIFF deliver a strong gala this year,.
- For the first time in its history, TIFF will launch a digital platform for the festival, hoping to connect with audiences beyond Toronto by hosting digital screenings, as well as numerous talks and special events
Cricketer Clare Connor to be first female MCC president in 233 years
Former England women’s captain Clare Connor is to become the first female president of Marylebone Cricket Club in its 233-year history.
- Current incumbent Kumar Sangakkara, the first non-British MCC president, nominated Connor via video link from his native Sri Lanka during an annual general meeting.
- Connor, now the England and Wales Cricket Board’s head of women’s cricket, is set to take up her new post on October 1, 2021, subject to the membership’s approval.
UN Honours Kerala Health Min KK Shailaja for fight against COVID
United Nations honoured Kerala Health Minister KK Shailaja by inviting her on panel discussion on World Public Service Day, which was on June 23, 2020.
- She was the honored speaker from India to speak about the strategies that were adopted by the state to combat the pandemic.
- Kerala, which recorded India’s first three coronavirus cases, has been successful in flattening the curve of new infections.