Daily Current Affairs 27 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approves India, Myanmar agreement on human trafficking
The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Myanmar on enhancing bilateral cooperation between each other for prevention of trafficking in persons.
- The agreement will also strengthen the friendship between the two Asian countries and to increase bilateral cooperation on the issues of prevention, rescue, recovery and repatriation related to human trafficking.
Bill to merge Daman-Diu and Dadra-Nagar Haveli passed in LS
Lok Sabha has passed the bill to merge Union Territories of Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. Union Minister of State for Home G Kishan Reddy had introduced the Dadar and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (Merger of Union Territories), Bill, 2019 for the merging of the two Union Territories.
State’s 1st Vulture Conservation to set up by UP Government
In a major step to conserve the endangered vulture population, the Uttar Pradesh government will set up the state’s first vulture conservation and breeding centre in farenda area of Maharajganj district.
- According to Environment Minister, there has been a sharp decline in the population of vultures in the country which has come down from 40 million to 19,000 in a span of over three decades.
Anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal gets its logo, motto
Anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal released its logo and motto. While the logo symbolises ‘caretaker of people’ (‘Lok’ meaning people and ‘pal’ meaning caretaker) and depicts its various essence figuratively in shapes — such as judges bench for ombudsman, three human figures for people, Ashok Chakra for vigilance, orange book for law and two tricolor hands forming a unique balance, the motto in Sanskrit, when translated into English, reads “Do not be greedy for anyone’s wealth”.
Assam bans gutkha, pan masala containing tobacco, nicotine for 1 year
The Assam government has prohibited manufacturing, storage, transportation, display, distribution and sale of gutkha, pan masala or any chewing material containing tobacco or nicotine as ingredients, for a period of one year.
- The decision has been taken in the interest of public health with immediate effect.
Bihar records highest prevalence of acute respiratory infections among under-5 children: Report
Bihar recorded the highest prevalence of acute respiratory infections among under-five children among the five high-burden states between September 2018 and June 2019.
- The prevalence of acute respiratory infections among under-five children was 15.9 per cent in Bihar, followed by Uttar Pradesh (15.9 per cent), Jharkhand (12.8 per cent), Madhya Pradesh (11.6 per cent) and Rajasthan (8.4 per cent), according to report — “Situation Analysis of Pneumonia in India” — released recently.
- Household air pollution emerged as the important risk factor for childhood pneumonia.
India & Japan holds Mine Countermeasure Exercise(MINEX) 2019
A maiden bilateral exercise between the Indian Navy and the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) have conducted Mine Countermeasure Exercise (MINEX) 2019 at Kochi, Kerala.
- Officials of the Indian Navy and from the warships Bungo and Takashima of JMSDF’s Minesweeper (a naval ship that is deployed in removing naval mines) Division 3, commanded by Captain Seiji Ikubu took part in the exercise.
ISRO launches PSLV-C47 carrying Cartosat-3 and 13 nanosatellites from Sriharikota
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched PSLV-C47 carrying Cartosat-3 and 13 nanosatellites from Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
- Cartosat-3 satellite is a third-generation agile advanced satellite having high-resolution imaging capability. Cartosat-3 satellite will be placed in an orbit of 509 kilometres at an inclination of 97.5 degrees.
BANKING & FINANCE
IndiaFirst Life Insurance partners with Spice Money for ‘Insurance Khata’ product
IndiaFirst Life Insurance has entered into a strategic & technical partnership with Spice Money, a tech-led financial services provider, for distribution / marketing of ‘insurance khata’ through the latter’s platform, which has nearly 3 lakh customers. Insurance Khata is targeted at the informal/agriculture sector.
ADB approves second tranche of USD 150 mn for West Bengal to boost capital investment, infra
The Manila-headquartered Asian Development Bank has approved second tranche of USD 150 million (about Rs 1,065 crore) for West Bengal to boost capital investment and infrastructure in the state.
- It is a policy based programme loan of USD 300 million (about Rs 2,130 crore) by ADB for West Bengal Development Finance Program, which was approved in September 2017.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Cabinet approves increase in authorised capital of FCI to Rs 10,000 crore
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the increase in authorised capital of Food Corporation of India (FCI) from existing Rs 3,500 crore to Rs 10,000 crore.
- This will reduce borrowings of FCI, save interest cost and reduce food subsidy in consequence.
- With the increase of authorised capital, additional equity capital can be infused in FCI through the Union Budget to fund foodgrains stock perpetually held by FCI.
Odisha to host Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2023
Odisha will host the Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2023 and the matches will be played in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela.
- The Executive Board of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) on November 8 announced that India will be hosting the Men’s Hockey World Cup in 2023.
Gautam Gambhir unveils stand named after him at Arun Jaitley stadium
Former cricketer Gautam Gambhir now has a stand named after him at the Arun Jaitely stadium. The cricketer-turned-politician himself unveiled the stand.
- Earlier on September 12, Virat Kohli stand was unveiled in the Feroz Shah Kotla stadium, which was renamed to Arun Jaitley stadium on the same day.
Ekalabya award for Odia weightlifter Jhilli Dalabehera
Odia women weightlifter Jhilli Dalabehera, who has brought laurels for both the State and the country in several national and international events, will receive the 27th Ekalabya Award for 2019.
- The annual award instituted by Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT) comprises a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh along with a citation.
Sundram Fasteners Chairman Suresh Krishna gets ‘Quality Ratna’ award
Chairman of Sundram Fasteners Ltd Suresh Krishna has been presented with the ‘Quality Ratna’ award by trade body Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Suresh Krishna has been a role model for the society in embracing the principles of Quality, in both personal and professional life.
Billie Eilish is Billboard’s 2019 ‘Woman of the Year’
Singer Billie Eilish will be honoured as Billboard’s 2019 Woman of the Year. Pop star Taylor Swift will also be honoured at Billboard’s event, receiving the inaugural Woman of the Decade award.
Veteran Tamil actor Bala Singh passes away
Veteran Tamil actor Bala Singh passed away in Chennai following a brief illness. Bala who was lauded for his versatile roles in the film industry had made his debut as an actor in Nassar’s movie ‘Avatharam’ in 1995. He later went on to take different roles in over 100 movies.
Former Navy Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar passes away
Former Navy Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar passed away due to illness. He was 79-years-old. Sushil Kumar, who led the Indian navy during the Kargil War, was a specialist in hydrography and amphibious warfare.
- He authored a book named “A Prime Minister to Remember- Memories of a Military Chief” which highlighted the key defence-related decisions taken by former Prime Minister of India Late Atal Bihari Vajpayee.