Daily Current Affairs 27 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi Inaugurates 3rd global renewable energy event RE-INVEST 2020
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 3rd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-INVEST 2020) to woo investors for investing in clean energy in India.India has set an ambitious target of having 175GW of renewable energy by 2022 and 450GW by 2030.
- The summit is organised by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.The theme for RE-Invest 2020 is ‘Innovations for Sustainable Energy Transition’.
- The RE-INVEST 2020 include a two-day virtual conference on renewables and future energy choices and an exhibition of manufacturers, developers, investors and innovators engaged in the clean energy sector.
- The partner countries for the RE-INVEST 2020 are Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, Maldives, the United Kingdom along with European Union and US agencies.The partner states are Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
Agriculture Minister unveils ‘Sahakar Pragya’ to impart training to primary cooperative societies in rural areas
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar unveiled Sahakar Pragya. The 45 new training modules of Sahakar Pragya of the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) will impart training to primary cooperative societies in rural areas of the country along with Lakshmanrao Inamdar National Cooperative Research and Development Academy.
- These 45 training modules pf Sahakar Pragya to be delivered at LINAC and its countrywide network of Regional Training Centres will address the need for training of Primary cooperatives, FPO-Cooperatives and Self Help Groups federating.
- The training programmes will be supported under NCDC schemes, 10,000 FPO formation scheme of Government of India, Agri Infra Fund scheme of Government of India , PM-FME scheme of Min of Food Processing Industry, Dairy Infra Dev Fund scheme of Government of India, Fisheries Infra Dev Fund scheme of Government of India, PM MatsyaSampada Yojana of Government of India, Min of Rural Dev schemes State/UT schemes Other organizations’ schemes.
‘Quarantine’ named Cambridge Dictionary’s Word of the Year 2020
Cambridge Dictionary has named ‘quarantine’ as the Word of the Year 2020,the year that saw people around the world being forced to remain isolated indoors in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
- ‘Lockdown’ and ‘pandemic’ turned out to be runner-ups for Word of the Year.
- ‘Quarantine’ was the only word that ranked among the top five in both overall views and search spikes in 2020.
UN release $25 mn for women-led projects fighting gender-based violence
The United Nations humanitarian chief has released 25 million US dollars from its emergency fund to support women-led organisations that prevent and respond to gender-based violence.
- The funding has gone to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and UN Women that have been asked to channel at least 30 per cent of it to organisations run by women that prevent violence against women and girls, and help victims and survivors with access to medical care, family planning, legal advice, safe spaces, mental health services and counselling.
BANKING & FINANCE
ESIC extends ABVKY scheme up to June 2021
ESI Corporation (ESIC) has announced the extension of the “Atal Beemit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana” (ABVKY) by another one year up to June 30, 2021 and relaxed the eligibility conditions for the period between March 24, 2020 and December 31, 2020.
- It has also been decided to enhance the rate of unemployment relief under the scheme to 50% of wages from earlier rate of 25% along with relaxation in eligibility conditions, provided the Insured Person should have been in insurable employment for a minimum period of two years immediately before her/his unemployment and should have contributed for not less than 78 days in the contribution period immediately preceding to unemployment and minimum 78 days in one of the remaining three contribution periods in two years prior to unemployment.
Sports Ministry restores recognition of Archery Association of India
Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry has restored the government recognition to Archery Association of India as a Nation Sports Federation for promotion and regulation of Archery Sport in the country.
- Government recognition of AAI was withdrawn eight years back on account of failure to conduct its elections in accordance with the National Sports Development Code of India. Government recognition of AAI will be valid for one year.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
South Indian Bank, Canara, Axis, Indian Bank purchase stake in IBBIC
Canara Bank, Axis Bank, Indian Bank and South Indian Bank have acquired 6.67% stake each in financial technology firm, IBBIC, at Rs 10 per equity share for a cash consideration of Rs 5 lakh each.
- Canara Bank (down 0.27%), Axis Bank (down 1.54%), Indian Bank (up 0.40%) and South Indian Bank (up 4.56%) advanced.
- Post investment, all the partners will hold 6.67% shareholding in IBBIC on fully diluted basis through acquisition the of 50,000 equity shares. The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of December 2020.
Achyuta Samanta elected President of Volleyball Federation of India
The Kandhamal MP and KIIT & KISS Founder Achyuta Samanta has been honoured to be elected as the President of Volleyball Federation of India.
- He is the first person from Odisha to be elected for this post. With this, Prof. Samanta has become entitled to be the member of the Olympics Association of India.
- Raj Kumar of Punjab has been elected as Executive Vice President, while nine others were elected as Vice Presidents of VFI. Anil Choudhury of Rajasthan has been elected unopposed as Secretary General of VFI. The term of the newly-elected body is from 2020 to 2024.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launches ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’
The Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry launched a National portal for transgender persons to apply for certificates and identity cards.
- The portal had been developed within two months of the Ministry notifying the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020, on September 29.
- The portal would help transpersons in applying for certificate and ID cards digitally without having to visit any government office.
- The portal transgender.dosje.gov.in would enable the applicant to track their application and register their grievances in case of delays.
Goa CM launches WhatsApp helpline for women in distress
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched a Whatsapp helpline 7875756177 for women in distress in the state at Police Headquarters, Panaji.
- Women helpline aims to provide all-time security and comfort for the womenfolk and achieve zero crime against women in the state.
23 medicinal plants of Karnataka on international union’s endangered list
At a time when climate change and infrastructural projects are wreaking havoc on forests, an exhaustive study commissioned by the Karnataka Biodiversity Board and National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) has revealed that 23 rare medicinal plants in various forests of the state are on the verge of extinction and listed as ‘endangered’ on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) list.
- The red-listed rare medicinal plants include sandalwood, wild clove, red sanders, wild jamun, wild cinnamon and other species endemic to the Western Ghats.
- The study spanning five years by forest officials, botanists and field experts helped document more than 4,800 flowering plant species in various circles of the forests. Out of these, 60 rare species are medically prominent, including the 23 endangered species.
AIMPLB vice president Maulana Kalbe Sadiq passes away
Well-known Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Sadiq died in Lucknow. He was 83.
- Sadiq was an educationist, Islamic scholar and ambassador of communal amity. He was the first to organise a Shia-Sunni namaz in the history of Lucknow.
- He was also All India Muslim Personal Law Board vice president.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
PM Modi releases book on life and ideals of Guru Nanak Dev
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a book on the life and ideals of Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of Sikhism and first of its 10 gurus.
- The book has been penned by Kirpal Singh, who is based in Chandigarh.
Shashi Tharoor’s latest book “The Battle of Belonging” launched
Renowned Author and Politician, Shashi Tharoor has released his new book titled “The Battle of Belonging”. The book is published by Aleph Book Company.
- Shashi Tharoor described this book as his “magnum opus” on the Theory, evolution and practice of Nationalism across the globe and especially in India.
- The book appears to be an extension of his book “Why I Am a Hindu”.
Indian Constitution Day
Constitution Day or Samvidhan Diwas is celebrated annually in India on 26 November to promote Constitution values among citizens. The day is also known as National Law Day.
- The day commemorates the adoption of the Constitution in On this day in 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India formally adopted the Constitution of India that came into force on 26 January 1950.
National Milk Day
The National Milk Day is celebrated every year on November 26 in India to honour Dr. Verghese Kurien, who is considered to be the father of India’s White Revolution.
- The day marks his birth anniversary and is a tribute for his contribution in the dairy world.
- This day highlights the importance of milk in everyone’s life. Milk is the food that is not only consumed by human beings but also by animals.