Daily Current Affairs 27 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Arunachal Pradesh builds a war memorial at Bum La
A war memorial has come up in at Bum La in Arunachal Pradesh. Joginder Singh of 1st Battalion the Sikh Regt received the highest gallantry award, ‘Param Vir Chakra’ in the Eastern Theatre during the 1962 Sino- India War.
- Indian Army organised the Inauguration Ceremony of Joginder War Memorial at Bum La on October 23 coinciding with the day on which the Battle of Tongpen La (Bum La) took place in 1962.
Bangladesh govt orders ‘no mask, no service’ policy
The Bangladesh government has decided that no service will be provided to people who don’t wear mask.
- It decided that all offices must install notice boards saying ‘no mask, no service’ in order to control the spread of COVID 19 virus in the country.
- People at all public and private offices, social institutions, haat-bazars, shopping malls, other establishments, educational institutions, mosques or other places of worship throughout the country must use mask in view of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank shuts down operations in Sri Lanka
ICICI Bank said it has shut down operations in Sri Lanka after getting approval from the Sri Lankan monetary authority.
- The Monetary Board of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, having considered the request made by ICICI Bank, has granted approval to close down business operation of the bank in Sri Lanka and cancel the licence issued to it.
BPCL ties up with Fino Payments Bank for recharging truck drivers’ fleet cards
India-based fuel outlet Bharat Petroleum (BPCL) has partnered with Fino Payments Bank for recharging truck drivers’ fleet cards.
- Through this partnership, truck drivers in the country can now recharge their BPCL Smartfleet Cards, which are used for fuel payments.
Honda achieves 800th FIM World Championship Grand Prix victory
Honda Moto3 rider Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing NSF250RW) claimed victory in the Moto3 class in round 12 of the 2020 FIM World Championship Grand Prix at MotorLand Aragon in Spain.
- Beginning with its first world grand prix race in 1961, in the 125cc class of the Spanish Grand Prix, Honda has now achieved 800 grand prix.
Indian Chess Player Leon Mendonca Wins Tournament In Hungary
Young Indian International Master Leon Luke Mendonca earned his maiden Grandmaster norm after winning the title in Rigochess International Festival tournament in Hungary.
- The 14-year old Mendonca won six games, drew two and lost one to emerge winner in the 10-player field which included three GMs and was played over the board. He secured seven points from nine rounds in the tournament.
Tanmay Srivastava announces retirement at age of 30
Mumbai Batsman Tanmay Srivastava, who was part of India’s Under-19 World Cup winning team in 2008, announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- The 30-year-old left-hander, played 90 first-class matches and scored 4,918 runs, with 10 centuries and 27 fifties to his name.
- He represented Uttar Pradesh and later captained Uttarakhand in domestic cricket. In the IPL, he turned up for Kings XI Punjab and the now-defunct Kochi Tuskers.
Sabalenka beats sick Azarenka to win Ostrava Open
Third seed Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus won the Ostrava Open WTA tournament after beating her visibly struggling compatriot Victoria Azarenka in straight sets.
- It was Sabalenka’s second title this year after a win at the Qatar Open in February, before the coronavirus pandemic broke out.
Alexander Zverev beats Diego to win another Cologne Championship
Top seed Alexander Zverev won his second ATP title in Cologne in the space of a week with a quickfire 6-2 6-1 demolition of Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the final of the bett1HULKS Championship.
- The German world number seven had claimed his first ATP crown of the year by besting Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 6-3 to win the bett1HULKS Indoor title at the same venue.
Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports names Bimal Julka as chairman
The Federation of Indian Fantasy Sports (FIFS), the self-regulatory industry body for fantasy sports, has appointed former Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India, Bimal Julka, as its Chairman.
- He will take over from John Loffhagen, who served as the chairman of FIFS for over three years.
Sashidhar Jagdishan Takes Over as HDFC Bank MD and CEO
In a change of guard at the country’s largest private sector lender, the Reserve Bank of India has approved the appointment of Sashidhar Jagdishan as Managing Director and CEO of HDFC Bank.
- He will replace Aditya Puri who retires on October 26, 2020.
- Jagdishan joined the bank in the year 1996 as a manager in the finance division. He became Business Head- Finance in 1999 and was appointed as the Chief Financial Officer of HDFC Bank in 2008.
India origin Wavel Ramkalawan elected President of Seychelles
A victory for the Seychelles opposition for the first time since 1977 has brought the Indian origin Wavel Ramkalawan to the office of president.
- Ramkalawan, a former Anglican priest, defeated incumbent Danny Faure after three decades of unsuccessful runs for the presidency of the East African nation.
Alpha Conde re-elected as president of Guinea
Incumbent Alpha Conde has won Guinea’s disputed presidential election with 59.5 percent of the vote to secure a controversial third term, defeating his main rival Cellou Diallo.
- Opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with 33.5 percent of the vote.
- The victory, which requires confirmation by the Constitutional Court, gives a third term in office to the 82-year-old after a bitterly fought election in which the opposition said he had no right to participate.
Luis Arce elected as president of Bolivia
Bolivia’s Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE) announced that Luis Arce Catacora, the candidate for the Movement Towards Socialism (MAS) party, has won the presidential elections with 55.1 per cent of the votes.
- This is the first time since 1989 that the country has published the official results of a presidential election in such a short period of time.
- In the second place came Carlos Mesa from the Citizen Community party with 28.83 per cent, and Luis Fernando Camacho from the Creemos (We Believe) alliance ranked third, with 14 per cent.
Samsung Tops Forbes’ list of World’s Best Employer 2020, HCL Tops among Indian list
South Korea based electronics conglomerate Samsung Electronics has topped the list of ‘World’s Best Employer 2020 published by Forbes’.The global list features 750 multinational and large corporations headquartered in 45 countries.
- Amazon, IBM, Microsoft LG are among the top 5 in the list respectively.
- From India, HCL Technologies is top industry in the list. It is placed at 30th position globally.
- In Banking sector, HDFC Bank is top from India. It is at 176th position.
- In addition to this, state-run power giant NTPC Ltd. has topped the list among Indian PSUs. Globally it is ranked at 261 position.
Vigilance Awareness Week
The Central Vigilance Commission observes the Vigilance Awareness Week from 27th October to 2nd November, 2020.
- This is observed every year during the week in which the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (31st October) falls.
- In 2020, the Vigilance Awareness Week is observed with the theme, “सतर्क भारत, समृद्ध भारत – Satark Bharat, Samriddh Bharat (Vigilant India, Prosperous India)”.
Disarmament Week is an annual event that is observed from 24 October to 30 October in various parts of the world. The annual observation of the Week starts on the anniversary of the founding of the United Nations, which is observed as the United Nations Day.
- Disarmament Week seeks to promote awareness and better understanding of disarmament issues and their cross-cutting importance.
World Day for Audiovisual Heritage
The World Day for Audiovisual Heritage takes place every 27 October.
- This commemorative day was chosen by UNESCO in 2005 to raise awareness of the significance and preservation risks of recorded sound and audiovisual documents.
- This year the theme of the World Day for Audiovisual Heritage is “Your Window to the World”