Daily Current Affairs 27 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
CAG, Auditor General of Maldives ink MoU to strengthen public finance audit
Comptroller and Auditor General of India and Auditor General of Maldives have signed a memorandum of understanding to strengthen the audit process of public finance. The MoU was signed by Girish Chandra Murmu, CAG of India and Hussain Niyazy, Auditor General of Maldives in Male.
- CAG of India and Auditor General of Maldives have decided to develop and strengthen respective institution’s professional capacity and improve methodologies in the field of audit of public finance.
National Steering Committee formed to implement NIPUN Bharat Mission
The Union government has set up a National Steering Committee (NSC) for implementation of the NIPUN Bharat Mission. The Union Education Minister, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan will be the Chairperson of the NSC and Minister of State for Education, Smt. Annpurna Devi will be the Vice-Chairperson.
- It seeks to develop a methodology of assessment to analyze the progress of education and provide feedback to States/UTs.
Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel launches scheme to provide subsidised e-vehicles to workers
Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel launched a scheme to provide electric two-wheelers at subsidised rates to construction and industrial workers of the state. He launched the ‘Go-Green’ scheme and its portal at a function held at Mahatma Mandir.
- Under the scheme, a worker of the organised sector, such as an industrial labourer, would get a subsidy of 30 per cent on the vehicle’s price or Rs 30,000, whichever is less, on the purchase of battery-powered two-wheelers.
- For workers in the construction sector, the criteria is 50 per cent subsidy or Rs30,000, whichever is less.
Glasgow to host COP-26 summit
The UK will host the COP26 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, Scotland from October 31 to November 12.
- The COP26 summit will bring parties together to accelerate action towards the goals of the Paris Agreement and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- The UK is committed to working with all countries and joining forces with civil society, companies and people on the frontline of climate change to inspire climate action ahead of COP26.
Konkan Shakti 2021: India, UK take part in maiden bilateral tri-service exercise
The sea phase of the maiden bilateral tri-service exercise ‘Konkan Shakti 2021’ between the UK and Indian Armed Forces commenced off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea.
- According to an Indian Navy official, all participating units were split into two opposing forces with the aim of achieving ‘sea control’ to land Army ground-troops at a pre-designated site.
- One force was led by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet and comprised the flagship INS Chennai, other warships of the Indian Navy and HMS Richmond, the Royal Navy’s Type 23 frigate. The other force operated under the UK Carrier Strike Group comprising aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, other UK and Netherland naval ships, and Indian warships.
BANKING & FINANCE
India, ADB sign project readiness financing loan to support urban mobility in Mizoram
The Centre and the Asian Development Bank signed a 4.5 million dollar project readiness financing PRF loan to support project preparation and design activities to improve urban mobility in Aizawl, the capital city of the northeastern state of Mizoram.
- The PRF supports the development of long-term solutions to improve urban mobility in Aizawl by identifying high-priority urban transport investments for the ensuing project and enhancing its readiness by supporting due diligence and other preparatory activities.
ICICI Bank overtakes HUL in m-cap to occupy 5th spot
Private sector lender ICICI Bank crossed the market capitalisation of Hindustan Unilever to become the fifth largest company by market value.
- According to BSE data, ICICI Bank’s market capitalisation (m-cap) stood at ₹5.83 lakh crore, just above HUL’s ₹5.76 lakh crore.
- This follows the bank posting its highest ever quarterly net profit in the July to September 2021 quarter.
ICICI Lombard launches BeFit cashless OPD and wellness solution to users
ICICI Lombard has launched BeFit, a service provided through its ILTakeCare app that gives customers benefits of complete OPD services—that is, doctor consultation, pharmacy, diagnostics services, etc.—on a cashless basis.
- The solution empowers customers to benefit from a host of wellness services. As good health and immunity gain importance, this comprehensive solution will come in handy now more than ever. V
HDFC, India Post Payments Bank tie up to offer home loans
India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has tied up with HDFC Limited, India’s premier housing finance company, to offer home loans to nearly 4.7 crore customers of IPPB.
- The partnership aims to facilitate HDFC’s home loans to customers, especially in unbanked and underserved areas with many of them having little or no access to finance, to fulfill their dream of owning a home.
IndiGo partners Kotak Mahindra Bank for Ka-ching co-branded credit card
Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMBL) and IndiGo announced a strategic partnership for the launch of a co-branded credit card – Ka-ching – under the 6E Rewards program.
- This collaboration will create value for customers in the form of a powerful product proposition offering a premium rewards experience to customers.
- The Ka-ching co-branded credit card, available in two variants, 6E Rewards and 6E Rewards XL, the new credit cards will provide a richer travel experience with varied benefits and unmatched rewards to the card-holders keen on domestic or international travel.
Axelson and Yamaguchi won Denmark Open 2021
Danish Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen won the Mens’ single 2021 Denmark Open Badminton held at the Odense Sports Park, Denmark. He defeated world number one Kento Momota of Japan.
- Akane Yamaguchi of Japan won her second title in the women’s category defeating An Se-young (South Korea).
- The women’s doubles’ title went to China as Huang Dongping and Zheng Yu defeated second seeded Korean pair Lee Sohee and Shin Seungchan in straight games, 21-17, 21-15.
- In the Men’s double category, Takuro Hoki, and Yugo Kobayashi (Japan) defeated Denmark’s Kim Astrup and Anders Skaarup Rasmussen by 21–18 21–12 in straight games in the final.
- In Mixed doubles, Yuta Watanabe and Arisa Higashino (Japan) won the title and defeated Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai by 21–18 21–9.
Telangana Govt unveils World’s Largest Cricket Bat in Hyderabad
The world’s largest cricket bat, certified by Guinness World Records was unveiled in Hyderabad. The event was held on the eve of ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. The cricket bat was unveiled by the former caption of the Indian cricket team Mohammed Azharuddin. The bat was a tribute to the Indian cricket team from Pernod Ricard.
- The gigantic bat is 56.1 feet long and weighs 9,000 kgs. The bat is currently on display on tank Bund and will be placed there will November 16. After that, the bat will be kept for display at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium at Uppal.
Uzbek president secures second term in landslide victory
Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev has been re-elected for a second five-year term, according to the preliminary results of a poll that Western observers criticised as uncompetitive despite recent political reforms.
- Uzbekistan’s Central Election Commission said Mr. Mirziyoyev had taken 80.1% of the vote against four token opponents.
- The vote was held with no real opposition facing Mr. Mirziyoyev, who came to power in 2016 after the death of his mentor, dictator Islam Karimov, who ruled Uzbekistan for 27 years.
SMB Neobank FloBiz ropes in Manoj Bajpayee as brand ambassador for myBillBook
FloBiz, a fast-growing neobank for Indian SMBs, announced its association with Padma Shri awardee actor Manoj Bajpayee.
- The Bengaluru-based fintech aims to accelerate its outreach to the SMB sector and promote the adoption of its flagship product myBillBook – a simple to use GST billing and accounting software – with Manoj Bajpayee as the brand ambassador.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari launches knowledge App, platform CUNSULT
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has launched knowledge App and platform CUNSULT. Emphasizing on innovation, entrepreneurship, science technology, research and skill for knowledge transformation, the minister said, conversion of knowledge into wealth is the future.
- CUNSULT app will be a forum for mentors to share their life experiences. He said, the app will allow people to learn from the wisdom which has been acquired over the lifetime.
- CUNSULT app is the first such global facility by which people who need information, advice, counsel, guidance can contact and call up experts in multiple sectors on-the-go.
For the first time in the Major Ports in India, Radio over Internet Protocol system inaugurated in Kolkata
In view of a much needed solution for providing effective long-range marine communications, the Radio over Internet Protocol (ROIP) System at Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata was inaugurated.
- According to the statement released, the ROIP system is being introduced as a marine communication mode, for the first time in any major Indian port.
- It shall cover the entire Hugli river Estuary from Kolkata to Sandheads, having base stations at four locations, the statement said, adding that with this facility, vessels at Sandheads can be directly communicated via radio, from Kolkata, especially during storms and inclement weather.
Ex-South Korean President Roh Tae-woo passes away
South Korean former president Roh Tae-woo, a decorated war veteran who played a pivotal but controversial role in the transition to democratic elections from rule by authoritarian leaders, has died. He was 88.
- In the space of a few decades, Roh went from military coup conspirator to South Korea’s first popularly elected president, before ending his political career in ignominy with a jail sentence for treason and corruption.