Daily Current Affairs 28 & 29 January 2024 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Punjab Govt sets up ‘Sadak Surakhya Force’ (SSF), first of its kind in India, to reduce road fatalities
In Punjab, the State government has set up the ‘Sadak Surakhya Force’ (SSF), the first of its kind in the country, to reduce road fatalities. The State Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann flagged off 144 hi-tech vehicles from Jalandhar. Anyone in the State can get help by dialing number 112, and the vehicle will reach the spot within ten minutes of receiving the call.
- A Report says that Indian Hockey team’s former captain and AIG traffic Gaganjit Singh will lead this Sadak Surakhya Force. With more than 1,200 police jawans, 144 hi-tech vehicles have been flagged off and about 90 female drivers will also handle the steering of vehicles.
- The vehicles will cover 5,500 km of State and national highways, each covering a distance of nearly 30 kilometres. The vehicles are fitted with specialised equipment to check for drunken driving and overspeeding.
Joint military exercise – SADA TANSEEQ between India & Saudi Arabia to be held in Rajasthan
The joint military exercise – SADA TANSEEQ between India and Saudi Arabia held in Rajasthan.
- The exercise aims to enhance synergy, interoperability and jointmanship by learning and sharing best practices between the Armies of both nations. The exercise will continue till the 10th of next month.
Cabinet approves setting-up of two coal gasification plants in West Bengal and Odisha with a target of 100 metric ton coal gasification by 2028-29
The Government has approved that Coal India Limited (CIL) will set up two Coal Gasification Plants with a view to achieve the target of 100 MT coal gasification by the year 2030 and to fulfil India’s dual objectives of self-reliance and energy independence.
- Union Cabinet meeting, Union Minister for Coal Pralhad Joshi said that total investment in the joint venture of CIL and GAIL for the proposed Coal-to-Synthetic Natural Gas at Sonepur Bazari Area of Eastern Coalfields Limited in West Bengal will be of 13 thousand 52 crore rupees. Mr Joshi informed that for CIL and BHEL Joint Venture for the proposed Coal-to-Ammonium Nitrate at Mahanadi Coalfields Limited in Jharsuguda district of Odisha will be 11 thousand 782 crore rupees. He informed that by 2028 – 29 these projects will be operationalised.
Union Minister Devusinh Chauhan releases postal cover on ‘Centuries old Sree Seetharama Chandra Swamy Temple of Bhadrachalam’
Union Minister of State for Communications Devusinh Jesinghbhai Chauhan released a special postal cover on the ‘Centuries old Sree Seetharama Chandra Swamy Temple of Bhadrachalam’ in Hyderabad.
- The Minister said postal department is the most trustworthy network in the country which provides the service at the doorsteps of the people especially to all the four Amrith Pillars, including the poor, farmers and women.
- He said postal department is providing the services with dedication and devotion as it is transforming to enable itself to become the source for the socio- economic change in the society. He said the postal depart is the only network to reach out to the last mile with the help of technology.
MP, Rajasthan sign MoU with Centre on modified Parbati-Kalisindh-Chambal-ERCP link project
In a significant development in water management sector in the country for the interlinking of rivers (ILR) programme, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh (MP) signed an MoU with Ministry of Jal Shakti (MoJS), Government of India (GoI) for implementation of the Modified PKC-ERCP’ (integration of original PKC with Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project of Rajasthan), which is the second project under the national perspective plan of interlinking of rivers (ILR) program of Government of India.
- Led by Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of Jal Shakti, intense consensus building exercise was done by the Jal Shakti ministry during the past few years to build a consensus amongst both the states of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh to implement this project.
- This link project proposes to provide drinking and industrial water in 13 districts of eastern Rajasthan, Malwa and Chambal regions of Madhya Pradesh apart from providing irrigation in 2.8 lakh ha. area (or more) each in both the states (total of 5.6 lakh ha or more) including supplementation of enroute tanks in the states.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Baroda’s arm rebranded as ‘BOBCARD Limited’ with ‘Credit Reimagined’ tagline
Bank of Baroda’s wholly-owned subsidiary for cards, ‘BOB Financial Solutions Limited’, has been rebranded as ‘BOBCARD Limited’ with the tagline “Credit Reimagined”.
- Accordingly, the NBFC has also unveiled a new logo called ‘Baroda Sun’, which comprises dual ‘B’ letterforms that hold the rays of the rising sun.
- The rebranding embodies “revitalised commitment to reimagine the country’s credit landscape with excellent credit solutions and customer-centric offerings”, the release said, adding that it aims to offer customer-centric, solution-driven assistance that assures service through innovation.
PayPal and Venmo unveil six new innovations to revolutionise commerce
Nasdaq-listed PayPal Holdings Inc has announced six new innovations that the company is piloting and bringing to market this year to revolutionise commerce through artificial intelligence (AI)-driven personalisation for both merchants and consumers.
- The newest innovations, which will be rolled out in the US throughout 2024 and then globally, include a reimagined PayPal checkout experience, Fastlane by PayPal, Smart Receipts, PayPal advanced offers platform, a reinvented PayPal consumer app, and Venmo’s enhanced business profiles.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Airbus, Tata team up to set up India’s first private helicopter assembly line
In the backdrop of French President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to India, Airbus Helicopters has announced that it is partnering with the Tata Group to establish a Final Assembly Line (FAL) for civil helicopters in the country, making it India’s first helicopter assembly facility in the private sector. Under this partnership, the FAL will produce Airbus’ best-selling H125 single-engine civil helicopter for India and export to some of the neighbouring countries, the company said.
- Under this partnership, Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL), a subsidiary of Tata Group, will set up the facility along with Airbus Helicopters. Airbus and Tata are already setting up a FAL in Vadodara for the C-295 military transport aircraft as part of a contract to supply 56 aircraft to the Indian Air Force.
Indian pair of Rhythm Sangwan and Ujjwal Malik claim 1st gold at ISSF Shooting World Cup
The Indian pair of Rhythm Sangwan and Ujjwal Malik won India’s first gold medal at the ISSF Shooting World Cup 2024 in Cairo. They defeated the Armenian pair of Elmira Karapetyan and Benik Khlghatyan 17-7 in the 10m air pistol mixed team event.
- Earlier, Arjun Babuta and Sonam Uttam Maskar won silver in the 10-meter air rifle mixed team event. They lost 16-14 to Great Britain’s Seonaid McIntosh and Dean Bale in the final.
- Indian shooters have so far won one gold and two silver medals in Cairo. Anuradha Devi had opened the team’s account with a silver in the women’s 10-meter air pistol.
Nitish Kumar takes oath as Bihar CM along with 8 cabinet ministers
JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar took oath of office and secrecy for the record ninth time as Chief Minister of Bihar. Eight other cabinet ministers also took oath at Rajbhavan with him.Samrat Choudhary and Vijay Sinha sworn in as Nitish’s deputies.
- Governor Rajendra Vishwanat Arlekar administered oath of office and secrecy this evening to three BJP and three JD(U) leaders. Besides this, one member from Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) and one Independent also took oath.
- From the BJP, party’s state president Samrat Choudhary, former minister Vijay Kumar Sinha and Prem Kumar have been inducted in Nitish Kumar’s cabinet. On the other hand senior JD(U) leaders Vijay Kumar Choudhary, Bijendra Prasad Yadav and Shravan Kumar have got cabinet berths. Former Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi’s son and HAM President Santosh Kumar Suman and one Independent have also been inducted as ministers.