Daily Current Affairs 28 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union Minister launches mobile app for generic medicines
Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers, D.V. Sadananda Gowda has launched a mobile application “Janaushadhi Sugam” and has announced that “Jan Aushadhi Suvidha Oxo-Biodegradable Sanitary Napkin” will now be available at only One Rupee per pad.
- He said that the “Janaushadhi Sugam” will enable people to search Janaushadhi generic medicines and the stores at the tip of their fingers.
TN: Education Dept launches exclusive 24-hour tv channel for students
The Education Department in Tamil Nadu has launched an exclusive 24-hour television channel for the school students.
- It was launched by the state Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswamy at a function in Chennai. In his address, he asked the students to make full use of the channel, saying its programmes would cover syllabi from pre-KG to 12th standard.
- The name of the channel is ‘Kalvi Tholaikkatchi’ (Education TV).
- He also said, interviews and motivational programmes on joining civil services, defence forces and banks would be aired by the television as a form of career guidance.
In a first, Karnataka to have 3 Deputy Chief Ministers
Karnataka will have three Deputy CMs for the first time after the newly formed BJP government appointed Govind Makthappa Karajol, CN Ashwath Narayan and Laxman Sangappa Savadi to the post. While Makthappa has been allotted Public Works Department, Narayan and Savadi have been given higher education and transport portfolios, respectively.
45th G-7 Summit held in France
45th G-7 Summit held in the southwestern French city of Biarritz. The summit focused on fighting income and gender inequality and protecting biodiversity.
- The seven members of the group are France, Italy, Japan, Germany, Canada, United States and United Kingdom
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also attended the summit, where India along with some other countries had been invited as a partner country. India is not a member country of the G-7, and the invitation to participate in the summit was extended by France.
Pakistan, China engage in joint aerial exercise 200 km north of Leh
The air forces of Pakistan and China are jointly exercising ‘Shaheen-VIII’ in Chinese city of Holton, close to the Indian border near Ladakh. The annual joint training is the eighth of its kind between the two countries since it was first launched in March 2001.
Indian Ambassador to Madagascar unveils commemorative plaque of Mahatma Gandhi road in Antananarivo
A restored commemorative plaque of the Mahatma Gandhi road in Antananarivo was jointly unveiled by the Indian High Commissioner to Madagascar Abhay Kumar and city’s Mayor Lalao Ravalomanana to mark the 150th birth anniversary of the Mahatma.
- The road was named after Mahatma Gandhi in 1969.
BANKING & FINANCE
Canara Bank launches OTP facility for ATM cash withdrawals over Rs 10,000
Public sector lender Canara Bank has launched India’s first OTP facility for ATM withdrawals. In order to offer a more secured and safe system, Canara bank will activate OTP facility for cash withdrawals of Rs 10,000 or more in a day.
- This move is in line with banks trying to take security measures to safeguard customers who use debit cards to withdraw cash at ATMs.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
PUMA partners with Goonj to promote circular economy
Global Sports Company PUMA is partnering with Goonj, an award-winning, India based non-profit specializing in using the urban surplus to trigger grassroots development work.
- In an effort to promote a circular economy, PUMA is encouraging its customers to contribute any of their gently used apparel and footwear at PUMA stores and on PUMA.com until September 10.
SIDBI partners with Incuspaze to open coworking space for MSMEs
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has partnered with Incuspaze Solutions Private Limited (Incuspaze) to open a first-of-its-kind co-working space. This coworking space exclusively designed for MSMEs and startups. This coworking space, named @Workspaze.
- This coworking space is fully furnished office equipped with training and conference room, fast-speed internet, reception, refreshment, recreational area, housekeeping facilities etc.
Delhi’s Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium to be renamed after Arun Jaitley
The Delhi & District Cricket Association (DDCA) announced that the Feroz Shah Kotla cricket stadium will be renamed after Arun Jaitley, who died on August 24. The decision was taken to honour Jaitley who served as DDCA’s president from 1999 to 2013.
World Para Badminton Championships 2019 held in Switzerland
The 2019 BWF Para-Badminton World Championships was held from 20 to 25 August 2019 in Basel, Switzerland. India won a total of 12 medals in the Championship with 3 Gold Medals. China won the championships with a total of 13 medals (7 Gold).
- In women’s singles SL3 event, Manasi Girishchandra Joshi won a Gold Medal.
- In men’s singles SL3 event, Pramod Bhagat won a Gold Medal.
- In men’s doubles SL3-SL4, duo of Pramod Bhagat and Manoj Sarkar won the Gold Medal.
Pune youth becomes first Indian to complete ‘La Ultra The High’ marathon
Ashish Kasodekar, a youth hailing from Pune, has become the first Indian to complete the 555 kms long ‘La Ultra The High’ marathon in Ladakh.
- This marathon is also known as the cruellest marathon of the world. This event is organised every year in Ladakh and for the latest edition, the distance of the marathon was extended to 555 kms from 333 kms.
- Five people participated in the marathon and among five, two were Indians. The total journey of the marathon had to be completed in five and a half days.
- The participants had to pass five mountains with almost 1700 feet height.
FIFA U- 17 Women’s World Cup India 2020: Bhubaneswar gets provisional clearance as 1st venue
The city of Bhubaneswar got a provisional clearance as the first venue for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020, the Organising Committee confirmed.
- The other venues are Kolkata, Ahamadabad, Mumbai, and Goa. However, all these venues are yet to get infrastructure clearance.
Paytm appoints ex-Goldman Sachs executive Amit Nayyar as president
Noida-based digital payments company Paytm has appointed ex-Goldman Sachs executive Amit Nayyar as a president of the company, in a bid to strengthen its leadership team.
- This comes after chief financial officer Madhur Deora was also elevated to president.
Indian team creates history at WorldSkills event in Russia, wins 4 medals
Indian team created history by winning one gold, one silver and two bronze medals at the world’s biggest international vocational skill competition, 45th WorldSkills Kazan 2019, Russia.
- S Aswatha Narayana won the gold medal in water technology, Pranav Nutalapati won a silver medal in web technologies, Sanjoy Pramanik and Shweta Ratanpura won one bronze medal each in Jewellery and graphic design technology.
Wing Commander S Dhami becomes first female officer to become Flight Commander
Indian Air Force’s Wing Commander S Dhami has become the first female officer in the country to become the Flight Commander of a flying unit.
- Dhami took over as Flight Commander of a Chetak helicopter unit at Hindon airbase, recently.
- She is a permanent commission officer of the flying branch in the Air Force and has been flying choppers.
A.K. Subbaiah, Karnataka BJP’s first president, passes away
Ajjikuttira Kariappa Subbaiah, the first president of BJP in the State who later turned a bitter critic of the party, passed away due to age related complications.
- Mr. Subbaiah, who started off as a firebrand politician, was a leading advocate and social activist.
Former Chief Secretary of Odisha LI Parija passes away
Former Chief Secretary of Odisha Lalat Indu Parija passed away following a cardiac arrest.. He was 89. He was the Chief Secretary of the State twice, first for one month in 1983 and then for a year in 1986.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs