Daily Current Affairs 28 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Niti Aayog releases NER District SDG Index report; East Sikkim tops chart
East Sikkim has topped in terms of meeting sustainable development goals in the Niti Aayog’s North Eastern Region (NER) District SDG Index Report 2021-22 and Nagaland’s Kiphire featured at the bottom, as per the specified parameters.
- It was the release of the first edition of the North Eastern Region (NER) District SDG Index Report and Dashboard 202122 by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M/DoNER).
- The index measures the performance of the districts of the eight states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their corresponding targets and ranks the districts based on the same.
- According to the report, out of the 103 districts considered for ranking, 64 districts belonged to the front runner category while 39 districts were in the performer category in the composite score and ranking of districts.
- All districts in Sikkim and Tripura fall in the Front Runner category and there are no districts in the aspirant or achiever categories.
MP becomes second state after Karnataka to implement National Education Policy 2020
Madhya Pradesh becomes the second state after Karnataka to implement the National Education Policy 2020.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced the implementation of the National Education Policy in the presence of Governor Mangubhai Patel.
- He said that the new National Education Policy fulfills the resolve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to ensure all round development of the new generation along with education and skill promotion.
President Ram Nath Kovind to lay foundation stone of Uttar Pradesh’s first Ayush University in Gorakhpur
On the third day of his visit to Uttar Pradesh, President Ram Nath Kovind, he laid the foundation stone of the state’s first AYUSH University. He also inaugurated the Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath Vishwavidyalaya in the city.
- The state government plans to spend ₹815 crore on the construction of AYUSH University, for which it had acquired 52-acre land for the university near Pipri and Tarkulhi villages.
- The AYUSH University will be run according to the guidelines of the Central Council of Indian Medicine, regarding the establishment of Ayurveda, Unani, homeopathy, yoga, and naturopathy educational institutions in the university.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates Army Sports Institute’s stadium in Pune named after Neeraj Chopra
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Army Sports Institute’s stadium in Pune named after Olympic gold medal winner Neeraj Chopra.
- Highlighting the Indian Army’s legacy, he proudly said that Subedar Neeraj Chopra has added his name to the list of great sportspersons like Major Dhyan Chand, Capt. Milkha Singh, Col Rajyavardhan S Rathore and Captain Vijay Kumar.
Centre announces Drone Rules-2021
The Centre has announced Drone Rules-2021 which reduced the Yellow Zone from 45 kilometres to 12 kilometres from the airport perimeter. No permission is required for operating a drone in Green Zones and upto 200 feet in the area between eight and twelve kilometres from the airport perimeter.
- As per the rules, the coverage of drones has been increased from 300 to 500 kilograms to include heavy payload-carrying drones and drone taxis. The number of permissions has been reduced from twenty-five to five. No security clearance will be required before any registration or licence issuance. The government has also reduced fees for permissions to nominal levels. The maximum penalty has also been reduced to one lakh rupees.
- This will, however, not apply to penalties in respect of violation of other laws. The Directorate General of Foreign Trade will regulate the import of drones. No pilot licence will be required for operating nano drones and micro drones for non-commercial use. All drone training and examination will be carried out by an authorised drone school.
Cabinet approves MoU between ICAI and Institute of Professional Accountants of Russia
Union Cabinet has also approved the signing Memorandum of Understanding between Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and Institute of Professional Accountants of Russia.
- The proposed MoU aims to strengthen cooperation in matters of accountancy profession through exchange of views, information in respect of Professional Accountancy Training, Professional Ethics, Technical Research, Professional Development of Accountants.
Smriti Irani addresses 1st ever G20 ministerial conference on women’s empowerment
Union Minister of Women & Child Development, Smt. Smriti Irani addressed the First ever G20 Ministerial Conference on Women’s Empowerment which was held at Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy in a hybrid format.
- The Union Minister reaffirmed India’s commitment towards addressing gender and women centric issues through mutual cooperation. The Minister highlighted the various initiatives undertaken in India by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi led government towards fostering gender equality, ensuring better healthcare and strengthening women’s safety & security.
- G20 Conference on Women Empowerment acknowledged the common objectives and shared responsibilities to advance the goals of equality and development of women and girls in all spheres including STEM, Financial and Digital Literacy, Environment and Sustainability.
India elected to key bodies of Universal Postal Union
India has won the elections for membership of two key bodies of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), during the 27th UPU Congress in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- ZaIndia got elected to the Council of Administration(CA) with 134 votes, out of 156 countries. The country received the highest votes in CA elections from South Asia and the Oceania region.
- Apart from this, India has also been elected to the Postal Operations Council (POC) with 106 votes. India will now work with all to strengthen cooperation in the Universal Postal Union.
Sonu Sood becomes brand ambassador of Delhi government’s ‘Desh Ke Mentor’ programme
Delhi government announced that actor Sonu Sood would be the brand ambassador of its ‘Desh Ke Mentor’ programme that is set to launch.
- The programme will help students of Delhi government’s schools find a ‘Mentor’ who will help them unlock their potential.
- Children will find answers to their career related questions through Mentors who sign up to be a part of the programme.
President appoints TN Governor Banwarilal Purohit to discharge functions of Governor of Punjab
President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit, to discharge the functions of the Governor of Punjab, in addition to his own duties from the date he assumes charge of the office of the Governor of Punjab.
- Mr Kovind also appointed Mr Purohit to be the Administrator of Union Territory of Chandigarh, in addition to his duties as Governor of Punjab.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Rajnath Singh commissions Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha in Chennai Harbour
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned the state of the art Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha in Chennai Harbour.
- Speaking on this occasion, the Minister said that the commissioning of the ship showcases significant improvement in coastal defence capability as also the ever increasing self-reliance in the defence sector.
- The 100-metre long indigenously designed ship has been fitted with state of the art navigation system useful for patrolling the coastal borders.
- Vigraha is the seventh in the series of offshore patrol vessels and will be based in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
24×7 Mental Health Helpline ‘SUKOON’ inaugurated at SDRF Headquarters, Jammu
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Commandant General, Home Gaurds and SDRF, V.K Singh and Principal Government Medical College, Jammu, Dr. Shashi Sudan inaugurated SUKOON, a 24×7 Mental Health Helpline at SDRF Headquarters, Jammu.
- Mr. V. K Singh emphasized that the helpline shall offer guidance to persons or their well-wishers who are experiencing mental problems or mental health emergency and pandemic induced psychologists stress.
Noted elocutionist of West Bengal Gouri Ghosh passes away at 83
Noted elocutionist of West Bengal Gouri Ghosh passed away in Kolkata after prolonged illness. She was 83.
- She was associated with All India Radio, Kolkata for a long period. Gouri Ghosh had been awarded Kazi Sabyasachi Samman by the State Government in 2018.