Daily Current Affairs 28 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first university for transgender community to come up in UP’s Kushinagar
The country’s first university for transgender community will be opened in Uttar Pradesh’s Kushinagar district to facilitate its members to study right from class one to PG and even do research and get PhD degree.
- The university, which will come up in Fazilnagar block of Kushinagar district, is being built by the Akhil Bhartiya Kinnar Siksha Seva Trust (All-India transgender education service trust).
- It is the first of its kind in the country where members of transgender community will be able to get education and the process of has already been initiated.
Mandu Festival begins at Mandu, Madhya Pradesh
The first edition of Mandu Festival began at Mandu, picturesque fort city of Madhya Pradesh. The event is organized by Madhya Pradesh Tourism Board. The festival will witness a celebration of the historic heritage blended with the modern vibrancy of the city culture.
- The Mandu festival will offer an eclectic mix of performing arts, workshops, art installations, nature trails, walks, food, architecture and music to the visitors during the festival. The festival is based on the idea of “Khojne Me Kho Jao”.
“National Symposium of Poets 2020” organized by All India Radio
All India Radio organized the National Symposium of Poets 2020. Select poets of all 22 languages recognized in the constitution participated in the symposium. It is being held every year since 1956. The poets from all corners of the country gave their presentations and captivated the hearts of the people during the symposium.
- The symposium will be broadcasted on the eve of Republic Day and at all the centers of AIR.
IAF bids goodbye to MiG 27 swing-wing fighter fleet
The Indian Air Force (IAF) finally bid goodbye to the formidable MiG 27 swing-wing fighter fleet. A press note said that “No. 29 Squadron, ‘SCORPIOS’ had the proud privilege of flying the aircraft into the sunset. The Mig-27 (last of the swing-wing fighters) participated actively in various national and international exercises and undertaken numerous operational missions during Kargil war and Op-Parakram.”
China launches Long March-5 rocket
China launched the third Long March-5, the largest carrier rocket of the country, from Wenchang Space Launch Centre in south China’s Hainan Province.
- The rocket, coded as Long March-5 Y3, blasted off from the coastal launch centre at 8:45 pm (Beijing time), carrying the Shijian-20 technological experiment satellite weighing over eight tonnes, the heaviest and most advanced communications satellite of the country.
Russia deploys its 1st Avangard Hypersonic missile system
Russia’s 1st missile unit equipped with Avangard Hypersonic glide vehicle entered into service. Russia’s defence ministry stated that a new hypersonic weapon with latest strategic missiles of intercontinental range has became operational. The nuclear-capable missiles can travel more than 20 times the speed of sound. They have a “glide system” that affords great manoeuvrability and could make them impossible to defend against.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI appoints J&K Bank as lead banking convenor for J&K, SBI for Ladakh
The Reserve Bank appointed Jammu & Kashmir Bank as the lead banker for the newly carved out union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- State Bank of India (SBI) will be the lead convenor bank for union territory of Ladakh.
RBI directs large UCBs to report exposures above Rs 5 cr to CRILC
The Reserve Bank of India has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs 5 crore and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC). The move is aimed at early detection of financial distress. The aggregate exposure will include all fund-based and non-fund based exposures like partial credit enhancement, including investment exposure on the borrower. As per the new rules, Urban Cooperatives Banks are required to submit CRILC report on quarterly basis with effect from December 31, 2019.
- The CRILC was created by the Reserve Bank of India. CRILC constitutes commercial banks, all India financial institutions and certain non-banking financial companies with multiple objectives, which, among others, include strengthening offsite supervision and early recognition of financial distress.
Karnataka Bank launches TAB Banking
Karnataka Bank, as part of its digital initiative, launched ‘KBL Xpress SB Accounts’, a digitised version for opening Savings Bank account through TAB Banking on the spot.
- Using the TAB banking account opening process, the Bank can on-board the prospective customer and open the Savings Bank Account. The Bank official will visit the customer’s place and open the account using the TAB within 10 minutes and issue the pre-activated Debit Card and Mobile and Internet Banking will be activated instantly.
Andhra Bank receives best performing bank award
Andhra Bank has received a best performing bank award for RSETIs for 2018-19 financial year. The public-sector bank has established 14 Rural Self-Employment Training Institutes (RSETIs) under Ministry of Rural Development scheme in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Odisha and Kerala.
- Andhra Bank RSETIs trained 9,711 candidates in 2018-19 and 82 per cent of them got employment by way of self-employment or jobs.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IMF retains India’s FY20 GDP growth rate forecast at 6.1%
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has retained India’s economic growth forecast at 6.1 per cent for FY20, but said risks to the outlook are tilted to downward side. IMF’s projection, given in its much-awaited country report on India under Article IV of the Fund, is much higher than those by most agencies.
- For example, the Reserve Bank of India’s latest projection pegged the growth at 5 per cent, Standard & Poor’s at 5.1 per cent, Moody’s at 4.9 per cent and Fitch’ at 4.6 per cent for the current financial year.
Weightlifter Seema banned for four years for doping
Weightlifter Seema has been banned by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for four years for a doping violation. The verdict comes following the hearing on her positive test for banned performance-enhancing drugs.
India wins the first Miss Teen International crown in 27 years
Vadodra’s Aayushi Dholakia has bagged the title of Miss Teen International 2019, vying with the girls from 22 countries, becoming the first Asian to do so in the last 27 years. Yessenia Garcia from Paraguay and Anicia Gaothusi from Botswana became the First and second Runners-Up respectively. The event was held at Kingdom of Dreams, Gurugram.
- Miss Teen International is the world’s oldest running teen pageant.
A book titled “Politics of Opportunism” released by S Gurumurthy
Noted Economist and Political Analyst S Gurumurthy released a book titled “Politics of Opportunism: Regional Parties, Coalitions, Centre-State Relations In India”. The book is authored by R P N Singh. The book throws light on the subject related to rise of regional parties and Centre-States relation.
Former SC Judge Justice S Mohan passes away
Former Supreme Court Judge Justice Dr S Mohan has passed away. He was 89. He was enrolled as an Advocate in the High Court of Madras in August 1954. In 1989, he was sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court.
- In 1991, Justice Mohan was elevated to the bench of the Supreme Court from where he retired on February 10, 1995.
Veteran Political cartoonist Vikas Sabnis passes away
Veteran Political cartoonist Vikas Sabnis has passed away recently. He recently completed 50 years of illustrious career in 2018. He was inspired by Bal Thackeray and RK Laxman. He has also worked as a staff cartoonist at various newspapers, including the Times of India and the Mid-day. He made caricatures and political cartoons on various subjects and issues. These ranges from local to international levels.
Former Assam BJP president Indramoni Bora passes away at age 81
Former Assam BJP president and Rajya Sabha MP Indramoni Bora passed away at the age of 81. While the leader had retired from active politics after his Rajya Sabha membership ended on June 2007, he continued to be closely associated with ground-level party workers.
Radio show host Don Imus passes away
Don Imus, the legendary American host of the radio show ‘Imus in the Morning’ has passed away at the age of 79. After being on air for nearly fifty years, the much-acclaimed radio host took retirement from his famous radio show in 2018.