Daily Current Affairs 28 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Russia-Ukraine war: Govt launches ‘Operation Ganga’; devises plan to evacuate 15,000 Indians
Amid the Russia-Ukraine war crisis, the government of India has launched ‘multi-pronged’ ‘Operation Ganga’ to evacuate our citizens stranded in Ukraine. Foreign Secretary Harsh V Shringla has said the government will bear the complete cost of the evacuation process from Ukraine.
Govt approves national roll-out of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission with budget of Rs1,600 crore for five years
The Union Cabinet has approved the national roll-out of Central Sector Scheme, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) with a budget of 1,600 crore rupees for five years. The National Health Authority (NHA) will be the implementing agency of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
- Digital health solutions across healthcare ecosystem have proven to be of immense benefit over the years, with CoWIN, Arogya Setu and eSanjeevani further demonstrating the role technology can play in enabling access to healthcare.
Govt permits up to 20% FDI under automatic route in LIC
Government has permitted up to 20 percent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) under automatic route in Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) with an aim to facilitate disinvestment of the country’s largest insurer.
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) had mooted the proposal to allow FDI in LIC, after taking views from the Ministry of Finance.
India rolls out national strategy to build ecosystem necessary for 3-D printing
The government of India has released a national strategy for additive manufacturing (commonly known as 3D printing) to encourage collaboration between academia, government and industry with the goal of making India a global hub for design, development and deployment of 3D printing, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) said.
- “We are targeting 50 India specific technologies, 100 new startups, 500 products, 10 existing and new manufacturing sectors and One lakh new skilled manpower,” said Ashwini Vaishnaw, minister of Railways, Communications, Electronics and Information Technology.
- One of the objectives of the strategy is to enhance India’s position in the global 3d manufacturing landscape– achieve a market share of 5% and contribute nearly $1 billion to the GDP by 2025.
Nudge Foundation, Ashirvad Pipes, GoI launch clean water challenge
The Nudge Foundation, and Ashirvad Pipes, in partnership with the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India announced a prize for start-ups and innovators working on solutions to provide clean drinking water to the underprivileged and rural households. The initiative aims to support solutions that address population-scale water challenges.
- With a total prize purse of ₹2.5 crore, the program will run for 18 months.
Centre targets 44.4 million tonnes wheat procurement, 4.3 million tonnes rabi rice
The Centre announced that it would buy 44.4 million tonnes (mt) of wheat during 2022-23 and 4.29 mt of rabi-grown rice under the minimum support price (MSP) programme. However, the rice target does not include the estimates of Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
- Wheat procurement target exceeds last year’s total purchase of 43.34 mt.
BSES commissions India’s 1st smart managed EV charging station in Delhi
BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL), a subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure-backed BSES has commissioned India’s first ‘Smart Managed EV Charging Station’ in the national capital.
- Supported by Nordic Innovation, an organisation promoted by the governments of Nordic countries, and executed by Fortum Charge & Drive, it will be the first BYPL operated and managed Smart EV Charging Station.
Delhi to build ‘country’s first’ e-waste eco-park to boost tourism
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia announced the setting up of the “country’s first” e-waste eco-park in New Delhi to handle increasing e-waste and framing of Delhi Film Policy 2022 with an aim to promote tourism in the national capital.
- The Minister further informed that the park will be built on 20 acres of land.
- He further said, “We’ll bring Film policy 2022 for better branding of Delhi and associate our residents through films. ₹50 crore film fund will be introduced to support film producers. This will be India’s most progressive Film Policy, aiming to create jobs and boost the economy.”
- The Delhi Minister also announced the subsidy of up to ₹3 crore for the film which will be made in Delhi.
Sebi extends deadline for client-level segregation of funds
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has extended the timeline for implementing the framework on client segregation and monitoring by about two months.
- The new system, under which a broker will have to segregate collateral at client level, will come into effect from May 2.
NDB first multilateral agency to open office in Gift City
New Development Bank (NDB) will become the first multilateral agency to open an office in the Gujarat International Finance Tech City (Gift) after an approval for the same.
- NDB vice president representating India Anil Kishora said the multilateral agency will take all requisite steps to make the Indian office operational by the middle of May.
MNRE approves development of 400MW solar project in Kinnaur by SJVN
State-owned SJVN said that Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has approved development of 400 MW solar park by the company at Kinnaur in Himachal Pradesh.
- According to a company statement, an in-principle approval has been accorded by the ministry for development of this project under Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Parks of its solar park scheme.
Nepal, India agree to build new projects by investing in energy sector
Nepal and India have agreed to build new projects by injecting joint investment in the hydropower sector. As per the agreement reached at Nepal-India Energy Joint Meeting, a joint technical team will be formed to carry out the study as per the proposal made by India.
- The committee will submit a report on which hydropower projects will be jointly invested and which transmission lines will be constructed and expanded to suit them.
- Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) and the Government of India’s Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PowerGrid) will constitute the company for upgrading the new transmission lines.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Ideal Finance rebrands itself as Mahindra Ideal Finance
Ideal Finance Ltd, a subsidiary of Mahindra and Mahindra Financial Services Ltd announced the rebranding of its company as Mahindra Ideal Finance Ltd (MIFL).
- Ideal Finance already provides a wide range of financial services products to the Sri Lankan customers. Consequent to the change of name officially, the rebranded entity – Mahindra Ideal Finance – will further look at enhancing its customer value proposition by offering an even wider suite of products.
Star Health & South Indian Bank announce Bancassurance tie-up
South Indian Bank has joined hands with Star Health and Allied Insurance Co. Ltd as a corporate agent to provide a slew of innovative health insurance products for the Bank’s more than 6.5 million customers spread over 923 branches across the country.
- The Bank’s customers can avail benefits of Star Health’s retail insurance products and group affinity products through the Bank’s various distribution channels thus helping customers address their health insurance needs under one roof.
NHPC inks pact with HDFC Bank to monetise RoE of Chamera-I Power Plant
State-owned NHPC has inked a pact with HDFC bank to securitise return on equity of its 540-MW Chamera-I Power Plant in Himachal Pradesh for 10 years.
- The amount of the securitisation facility has been arrived Rs 1,016.39 crore or 5.24 per cent per annum discounting rate linked with three-month T-bills.
India’s Sadia Tariq wins gold medal in Moscow Wushu Stars Championship
India’s Sadia Tariq came up with a brilliant performance to win the gold medal in the Moscow Wushu Stars Championship which is being held in the Russian capital from February 22 to 28.
- Sadia Tariq, who hails from Srinagar, is a two-time gold medalist in the Junior National Wushu championship.
Australia’s Green becomes first female golfer to win mixed-gender event
Former Women’s PGA Championship winner Hannah Green became the first woman to win a mixed-gender professional golf tournament with a four-stroke victory at the TPS Murray River event in Australia.
- The Australian world number 30 is the first woman to win a 72-hole mixed tournament on a major world tour.
Rafael Nadal wins Mexican Open, claims Third Title in 2022
Rafael Nadal, the 35-year-old Spaniard defeated Cameron Norrie 6-4, 6-4 to win the Mexican Open and extend his career-best start for a season to 15-0 as he won his 91st ATP title.
- Nadal, who won his third title in 2022, including the Australian Open for his record 21st Grand Slam singles title, is three victories from tying Ivan Lendl’s total of 94 for third place for most championships in the Open Era.
Milma Chairman KS Mani elected director of NCDFI
K S Mani, Chairman, Kerala Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation (KCMMF), known popularly by its brand name Milma, has been elected to the Board of Directors of the National Cooperative Dairy Federation of India (NCDFI), the apex body of dairy and edible oil cooperatives in the country.