Daily Current Affairs 28 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt to set up social media communication hubs in districts
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has planned to set up a ‘Social Media Communication Hub’ that would help it keep a tab on trending news in districts and gather feedback on the Centre’s flagship schemes. Under the project, media persons would be employed on contractual basis in each district to be the eyes and ears of the government and provide real-time updates from the ground.
Acid attack victims to get quota in central govt jobs
People with autism, mental illnesses, intellectual disability and victims of acid attacks will now get quota in central government jobs.
- The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) recently wrote to all central government departments to ensure that one percent of each post be reserved for people with blindness and low vision; deaf and hard of hearing; locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy.
- It said in case of direct recruitment, four percent of the total number of vacancies, up from the existing three percent, in groups A, B and C shall be reserved for people with benchmark disabilities.
Defence Minister Sitharaman gives away Republic Day Parade 2018 best contingent & tableau awards
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the Republic Day Parade 2018 best contingent and tableau awards at a function organised in Delhi Cantt.
- Among the three Services, Punjab Regiment Contingent was awarded the best marching contingent while Indo-Tibetan Border Police awarded the best marching contingent among the para-military and other auxiliary forces.
- Out of 23 tableaux participated in this year Republic Day Parade, the tableau from Maharashtra depicting coronation of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj won the first prize, while tableau from Assam depicting traditional masks and sastras bagged second and Tableau of Chhattisgarh,depicting Ramgarh’s ancient amphitheatre was awarded third prize.
Asha Bhosle to get Yash Chopra memorial award
Bollywood playback doyenne Asha Bhosle will be given the ‘Yash Chopra Memorial Award’.
- She will be the fifth winner of the award. Previous recipients are Asha Bhosale’s elder sister and Bollywood playback singer Lata Mangeshkar, and actors Amitabh Bachchan, Rekha, and Shah Rukh Khan.
Nobel laureate Kailash Satyarthi wins US Documentary Grand Jury Award
A film on the life of Nobel laureate Kailash Satyarthi has won the US Documentary Grand Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival being held at Park City in Utah.
- The documentary, titled ‘Kailash’ has been directed by debutante Derek Doneen. It traces the journey of Satyarthi and his efforts to eliminate child trafficking and child labour.
- The film has been produced by Davis Guggenheim and Sarah Anthony, and co-produced by Purnima Raghunath.
Eminent agricultural scientist Kalkat passes away
Eminent agricultural scientist and Padma Bhushan awardee Gurcharan Singh Kalkat has passed away. Kalkat was actively involved as an agricultural scientist during the Green Revolution in Punjab in the 1950s and 1960s to make the country self-reliant in foodgrain.