Daily Current Affairs 28 July 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre allocates additional Rs 40 thousand cr under MGNREGA in view of COVID-19 pandemic
In view of the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic, an additional allocation of 40 thousand crore rupees has also been made for the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme during this financial year.
- Union Minster for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Narendra Singh Tomar has called upon the states to ensure that funds being routed to Gram Panchayats are effectively used for development works at the village level.
- On this occasion, Mr Tomar released a Financial Management Index for Rural Development Programmes to rank the performance of the states.
100 electric potter wheels under KVIC’s Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana
Seeking to empower and associate the marginalized potters’ community with India’s quest to become “Aatmanirbhar”, the Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah distributed 100 electric potter wheels to 100 trained artisans under the Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- The initiative would go a long way in strengthening the marginalized potters’ community by incorporating technology to improve productivity while also reviving the traditional art of pottery
- The average income of potters under the Kumhar Sashaktikaran Yojana has gone up from nearly Rs 3,000 per month to nearly Rs 12,000 per month.
Government launches Mausam App for weather forecasts
Earth Sciences Minister Harsh Vardhan launched a mobile application ‘Mausam’ which will provide city-wise weather forecasts, nowcasts and other warnings.
- The mobile application, ‘Mausam’, has been designed and developed jointly by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- It will provide current weather information, including temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, for 200 cities. The information will be updated eight times a day.
Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App BIS-Care launched
Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan launched the Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App BIS-Care. He also launched three portals on Standardization, Conformity Assessment and Training of e-BIS.
- The mobile app BIS-Care can be operated on any Android phone and consumers can check the authenticity of the ISI-marked and hallmarked products through this Application.
- Customers can also lodge complaints using this medium.
India’s first NABL-accredited honey testing lab inaugurated in Gujarat
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated India’s first honey testing lab set up by National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) at Anand in Gujarat.
- The testing lab will unlock potential for apiarists to not just get domestic business but also take advantage of exports to the US and Europe.
- Till a short while ago, the exporters were needed to ship their samples to Germany for screening.
Assam govt deploys drone and anti-depredation quick response vehicle to guard forest areas
In a move to intensify surveillance, Assam deployed a Surveillance Quadcopter (Drone) and an anti-depredation quick response vehicle.
- The inauguration of the vehicle an intensified 24X7 surveillance would be made possible over the forest cover of the state helping to rein in the increasing incidents of human-animal conflict.
- This surveillance drone would be able to narrow-cast any purported movement of the poachers and would delve a blow to poaching in the national parks, wild life sanctuaries and other reserve forests
‘Rozgar Bazar’: Delhi Govt launches online portal for job seekers, employers amid COVID-19
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi govt started portal for employers and the job seekers. The website http://jobs.delhi.gov.in, named as ‘Rozgar Bazar’, a sort of marketplace for job seekers and the people recruiters.
- CM announced that recruiters can go to the website and update their requirement. Job seekers can also go there and update their qualification, experience and requirement.
TN government signs MoUs with 16 firms for Rs. 5,137-crore investments
The Tamil Nadu government signed MoUs with 16 companies that would bring an investment of Rs. 5,137 crore and provide employment to 6,555 persons.
- This comes within three days of the State government signing MoUs with eight companies for bringing in investment of Rs. 10,399 crore and providing 13,507 jobs.
- There are seven MoUs that have been signed in the technology space. Of these, six will come up in Chennai and one in Coimbatore.
Haryana Horticulture dept organised 5-day Sub-Tropical Fruit Expo 2020 at Ladwa
Haryana Horticulture Department is organising five-day Sub-Tropical Fruit Expo 2020 at the Centre for Sub-Tropical Fruit (Indo Israel Project), at Ladwa in district Kurukshetra.
- The event was aimed at providing a platform for farmers to learn the latest technologies in the field, especially in view of increased adoption of horticulture under the ‘Mera Pani – Meri Virasat’ crop diversification scheme of the State Government.
- The entire event will be streamed live on social media, including YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, from 10am to 1pm every day.
DRDO to set up two temporary hospitals of 500 bed to treat Corona patients in Bihar
In Bihar, Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) will set up 2 temporary hospitals of 500 bed to treat Corona patients.
- These hospitals will be set up at Patna and Muzaffarpur with latest medical equipments. There will be 150 ventilators in each hospital.
DRDO launches ‘Dare To Dream 2.0’ contest for innovators and startups
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) launched ‘Dare to Dream 2.0’, which is an innovation contest.
- The contest was launched on the fifth death anniversary of renowned scientist and former President of India Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, the Ministry of Defence.
- The winners will be decided after due evaluation by an expert committee.Award money, up to ₹10 lakh for startup and Rs 5 lakh to individual category, will be given to the winners.
TRIFED enters into partnership with IIT, Delhi for Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India, TRIFED, under Tribal Affairs Ministry, has entered into a partnership with IIT, Delhi for the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA) which is a flagship national programme of the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The main aim is to boost livelihood opportunities and income generation for tribal communities.
- The partnership can help promote enhancing livelihoods through the Van Dhan Vikas Kendras established under the Van Dhan Yojana.
India among top 10 countries gaining forest area in the world: FAO
India has been ranked 3rd among the top 10 countries that have gained in forest areas in the last decade (2010-2020) as per the latest Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) released by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- Top 10 countries which recorded the maximum average annual net gains in forest area during 2010-2020 are China, Australia, India, Chile, Vietnam, Turkey, the United States, France, Italy and Romania
- India accounts for two percent of total global forest area.
- The Asian continent reported the highest net gain in forest area in 2010-2020, with 1.17 million hectares (ha) per year net increase in forests.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Reliance overtakes Exxon to become world’s No. 2 energy company
Reliance Industries Ltd., controlled by Asia’s richest man, toppled ExxonMobil Corp. to become the world’s largest energy company after Saudi Aramco, as investors piled into the conglomerate lured by the Indian firm’s digital and retail forays.
- Reliance, which manages the biggest refinery complex, gained 4.3% in Mumbai adding $8 billion to take its market value to $189 billion, while Exxon Mobil erased about $1 billion.
- Aramco with a market capitalization of $1.76 trillion is the world’s biggest energy company.
Hichem Mechichi appointed as new Tunisian prime minister
Tunisia’s interior minister Hichem Mechichi has been appointed to form the next government, the president’s office said, amid political tensions among major parties in the North African country.
- The 46-year-old lawyer succeeds Elyes Fakhfakh, who resigned as prime minister earlier this month but Mechichi was not one of the names proposed by the ruling political parties to President Kais Saied.
Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi assumes Charge as commandant Indian Naval Academy
Vice Admiral M.A. Hampiholi took charge as the Commandant, Indian Naval Academy (INA), from Vice Admiral Dinesh K. Tripathi who completed a tenure of over 13 months.
- Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakvasala, Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, the erstwhile College of Naval warfare, Karanja and the prestigious National Defence College, New Delhi.
Veteran lawyer Bhaskar Avhad passes away
Senior advocate and author Bhaskarrao Avhad passed away in a hospital in Pune after a brief illness. He was 78.
- Avhad served as president of Bar Council of Maharashtra, Goa as well as other associations of lawyers, and also penned several books, many of them on law.
American Actor John Saxon passes away
Hollywood veteran actor John Saxon, who passed away, was not only an actor but also a martial artist. He was 83. John Saxon had a stellar career during his span of 60 years in cinema. He was best known for his role in “Enter the Dragon” (1973) starring Bruce Lee.
- He won the Golden Globe Award for new star of the year in 1958 for his role in the film “This Happy Feeling.”
Oscar-winner Olivia de Havilland, known for playing Melanie Wilkes in ‘Gone With the Wind’, passes away
Olivia de Havilland, the doe-eyed actress beloved to millions as the sainted Melanie Wilkes of Gone With the Wind, but also a two-time Oscar winner and an off-screen fighter who challenged and unchained Hollywood’s contract system, died at her home in Paris. She was 104.
- De Havilland went on to earn her own Academy Award in 1946 for her performance in ‘To Each His Own’, a melodrama about out-of-wedlock birth. A second Oscar came three years later for ‘The Heiress.
World Hepatitis Day
World Hepatitis Day, observed on July 28 every year, aims to raise global awareness of hepatitis, a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E and encourage prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- The theme for this year is “Hepatitis-free future”.