Daily Current Affairs 28 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt forms working group for revision of WPI
A working group has been constituted for the revision of current series of Wholesale Price Index (base 2011-12) under the chairmanship of NITI Aayog Member Ramesh Chand.
- The working group will select the most appropriate base year for preparation of a new official series of index numbers of Wholesale Price (WPI) and Producer Price Index (PPI).
- The current series of WPI with 2011-12 as base year was introduced in May 2017.
BYPL to launch energy saving app, to begin project from Mayur Vihar
Power distribution company BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL) has tied up with several private organisations to launch a slew of initiatives including a ‘behavioural energy saving app’ to reduce electricity consumption. The app — Susthome — developed by BYPL and TERI to bring about a behavioural change in how consumers use electricity, will track energy consumption patterns.
Mumbai among top 20 most expensive cities in Asia for expatriates: Mercer
Mumbai is India’s most expensive city and among the top 20 costliest cities surveyed in Asia for expatriates, with residential housing prices among the highest in the world, according to a survey by global consulting leader Mercer.
- According to Mercer’s 25th Annual Cost of Living Survey, Mumbai fell 12 spots and was ranked at the 67th position out of the 209 cities surveyed.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh statue unveiled at Lahore Fort
The bronze statue of Maharaja Ranjit Singh was unveiled at Lahore fort near Maharani Jinda haveli at Lahore on 180th death anniversary of Ranjit Singh.
- Minister for tourism Punjab (Pakistan) unveiled the statue and claimed government was taking steps towards improving tourism and special attention was being given to religious tourism.
Virat Kohli becomes the fastest cricketer to score 20,000 international runs
Virat Kohli has become the fastest cricketer to score 20,000 international runs. The India captain reached the milestone when he reached the score of 37 against West Indies at Old Trafford.
- Virat Kohli took just 417 innings to reach the milestone and bettered the time taken by legends such as Sachin Tendulkar and Brain Lara.
Marcus Trescothick announces retirement from professional cricket
Former England star Marcus Trescothick on Thursday announced he would retire at the end of the season, bringing down the curtain on a 27-season career with county side Somerset.
Indian woman crowned Miss Universe Australia
India born Priya Serrao, whose family migrated to Australia from Middle East, has won the Miss Universe Australia title for 2019.
- Serrao edged past 26 other women from across the country in Melbourne to win the title.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar gets honorary doctorate degree from Russian varsity
Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has been conferred with an honorary doctorate degree by Russia-based Ural Federal University for his contribution to the development of inter-cultural friendship between India and Russian Federation.
- He also encouraged students to incorporate yoga, deep breathing techniques and meditation in their daily routines to lead stress-free lives.
Former Bengal captain Shyam Sundar Mitra passes away
Former Bengal captain Shyam Sundar Mitra died following prolonged illness. Mitra, 82, was being treated for a heart ailment.
Eminent Gandhian Jharna Dhara Chowdhury passes away
Eminent Social Activist and secretary of the Gandhi Ashram Trust in Jayag, Noakhali, Bangladesh Jharna Dhara Chowdhury passed away in Dhaka.
- Born on October 15, 1938 at Lakshmipur, she devoted her whole life to promoting peace, communal harmony and social justice.
- She was deeply influenced by Gandhian principles of non-violence and communal harmony.