Daily Current Affairs 28 June 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates 63 bridges built by BRO in 8 states
In a virtual program from Kyungam in Leh district, Rajnath Singh inaugurated 63 Border Roads Organization bridges in eight states in the country.
- From Eastern Ladakh, at an altitude of 11 thousand 800 ft along with 50 Mtr Kunjan bridge across mighty Indus river on Leh-Loma road, Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated 62 various other bridges built by 15 various projects of Border Roads Organization (BRO), in Eight States across the country.
A Zen Garden and Kaizen Academy inaugurated by Prime Minister at Ahmedabad in Gujarat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated a Japanese Zen garden and Kaizen academy at the Ahmedabad Management Association (AMA).
- It will showcase several elements of Japanese art, culture, landscape and architecture.
- It is a joint endeavour of the Japan Information and Study Centre at AMA and Indo-Japan Friendship Association (IJFA), Gujarat, supported by the Hyogo International Association (HIA), Japan.
Government extends deadline for linking of PAN with Aadhaar till September 30
Government has extended the deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar till 30th of September.
- Minister of State for Finance, Anurag Thakur also announced extension till 31st August for Vivad se Vishwas Payment without interest. He also announced tax exemption for expenditure on COVID-19 treatment and ex-gratia received on death due to COVID-19.
Govt launches LiDAR survey reports to augment water in forest areas
Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar, in a virtual event, released the Detailed Project Reports (DPRs) of LiDAR based survey of forest areas in ten states namely Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura, Bihar, Chhatisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- The project, which was awarded to WAPCOS—a PSU under the aegis of Ministry of Jal Shakti, at a cost of Rs.18.38 crore for implementation in 26 states over 261897 hectare.The project is a first of its kind and a unique experiment using LiDAR technology.
- The project would help augment water and fodder in jungles areas thereby reducing human-animal conflict, help in groundwater recharge, help local communities.
JSCA, SAIL-BSL Inks MoU For International Cricket Stadium In Bokaro
The Jharkhand State Cricket Association, affiliated with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), has signed a lease agreement with Bokaro Steel Plant for the construction of an international cricket stadium.
- BSL is a unit of Steel Authority of India Limited, and the first city of Maharatna to house an international cricket stadium.
- The JSCA claimed Jharkhand will become the first state in the country to have three world-class stadiums.
Hemis Festival 2021 Celebrated in Leh Ladakh
Hemis Festival in Ladakh is celebrated annually on the 10th day of the Tse-Chu, Lunar month of the Tibetan Calendar.
- The 2-day fiesta marks the birth anniversary of Guru Padmasambhava.
Japan to Provide $9.3 Million Aid to India for Building Cold Chain System to Fight Covid
Japan announced that it will provide USD 9.3 million worth cold chain equipment and related assistance to India to help in the country’s fight against COVID-19 pandemic.
- The assistance, under Japan’s Emergency Grant Aid scheme, will provide India with cold chain equipment including medical equipment such as cold-storage facilities, as Last One Mile Support to ensure vaccination in each country, through the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
9th Moscow Conference on International Security held
Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar addressed at the plenary session of the 9th Moscow Conference on International Security on the topic ‘Role of Military Agencies in fighting against COVID-19’, in Moscow, Russia.
- The Defence Secretary highlighted India’s support to friendly nations by deploying Rapid Response Medical Teams to provide medical assistance to those in need. Medical supplies of various kinds were sent to 150 countries.
G20 Labour and Employment Ministerial Meeting held in Catania
G20 Labour & Employment Ministers’ Meeting was held in Catania, Italy.Ministry of labour & employment, India was represented by MoS (I/C) Shri Santosh Gangwar along with minister of state for education, Sanjay Dhotre.
- Ministers reiterated to recognize the need to equip youth well for a smooth transition into work space after they complete their education.This move is especially important for learners belonging to socially and economically disadvantaged population groups, who are more at risk of being left behind.
- Employment, better working conditions and equal pay for women, social protection in a constantly changing labour market, and work models, business organisation and production process in the era of digitalisation are key topics for discussion in the labour and employment ministerial meeting.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI launches FY21 round of survey on ITES exports
The Reserve Bank said it has launched the 2020-21 round of its annual survey on computer software and information technology enabled services (ITES) exports, results of which are used for compilation of balance of payments statistics. The RBI has been conducting this annual survey since 2002-03.
- It collects data on various aspects of computer services exports as well as exports of ITES and business process outsourcing (BPO).
- The RBI said it has also launched the 2020-21 round of the annual survey on ‘Foreign Liabilities and Assets of Mutual Funds and Asset Management Companies’.The survey collects information from mutual fund companies and asset management companies on their external financial liabilities and assets as at end-March of the latest financial year.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
China is now second largest export partner of India
China replaced the UAE as the second largest export destination for India in fiscal 2021, with outbound shipments to the neighbouring country rising 27.53% to $21.18 billion in the pandemic year.
- The US remained the country’s top export partner but shipments declined 2.78% to $51.63 billion in a year. Hong Kong, Bangladesh and Singapore were the other top markets for India last fiscal year.
- India aims to post $400 billion of merchandise exports in the ongoing FY22. Exports in FY21 shrank 7.3% to $290.6 billion while imports fell 18% to $389.2 billion, leading to a trade deficit of $98.6 billion.
Ind-Ra Revises India’s GDP Growth Rate For FY22 At 9.6%
The Indian economy is likely to grow by 9.6 per cent in the current fiscal year 2021-22, according to credit rating agency India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra).
- The company trimmed its projection of the gross domestic product (GDP) growth for the current fiscal from 10.1 per cent to 9.6 per cent, due to the scale of the second wave of the deadly COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Amazon’s AWS Acquires Encrypted Messaging App Wickr
Amazon Web Services (AWS) has acquired a messaging application Wickr to offer secure communications for businesses, government agencies, and individuals, who are moving to hybrid work environments, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The messaging application which was founded in 2012, boasts of emphasis on encryption.
- The messaging application Wickr rivals the likes of Signal for providing encryption. The application has even been used by journalists and whistleblowers.
LIC, SBI Life, Canara Bank pick up stakes in Indian Bank under QIP
Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), SBI Life and Canara Bank were among the top investors picking up stakes in Indian Bank under a QIP, according to a regulatory filing.
- The country’s largest and the only state-owned life insurer, LIC, picked up 17.80 per cent of the shares issued under the qualified institutional placement (QIP).It was followed by SBI Life Insurance (11.87 per cent), SBI Mutual Fund and its various schemes (11.87 per cent), Societe Generale and its various schemes (9.74 per cent) and Canara Bank subscribing to 5.93 per cent of the shares offered in the issue.
- Indian Bank raised a total of Rs 1,650 crore in its QIP of shares, which were issued at Rs 142.15 apiece.
Pharmeasy to Acquire Thyrocare in Rs 4,546 Crore-deal
Digital healthcare company Pharmeasy announced that it will acquire a controlling stake in diagnostic chain Thyrocare for Rs 4,546 crore.
- Under the transaction, the Delhi-based company will buy 66.1 per cent stake in Thyrocare from Velumani and his affiliates at Rs 1,300 per share.
Angelique Kerber wins inaugural Bad Homburg Open
Germany’s Angelique Kerber stepped up her Wimbledon preparations by winning her first tournament in three years, when she claimed the inaugural Bad Homburg grasscourt title.
- Back in a final for the first time in two years and playing on home soil, the former world number one broke Katerina Siniakova’s serve six times to win 6-3 6-2 in the final.
Deepika Kumari Reclaims World No.1 Ranking After Hat-trick of Gold Medals at World Cup Stage 3
Star Indian archer Deepika Kumari regained the number one position in global rankings following her hat-trick of gold medals at the World Cup Stage 3. The 27-year-old from Ranchi, who had achieved the top spot for the first time in 2012, claimed gold medals in three recurve events — women’s individual, team and mixed pair.
- Deepika first combined with Ankita Bhakat and Komalika Bari to notch up the women’s recurve team gold with a comfortable win over Mexico.
- She then paired up with husband Atanu Das and the couple from a 0-2 deficit to down the Netherland’s Sjef van den Berg and Gabriela Schloesser 5-3 for the gold medal.
- The Ranchi archer then blanked 17th ranked Russian Elena Osipova 6-0 to cap a perfect three out of three in the recurve women’s section, her fourth individual World Cup gold medal.
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju Announces ‘Cheer Up’ Campaign For Olympic-Bound India Athletes
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju announced a ‘Cheer Up’ campaign for the Olympic-bound Indian athletes across the country and urged people to come out in support of the sportspersons, who will be competing at the Tokyo Games beginning July 23.
- Over 100 athletes from India have so far qualified for the Games and Rijiju said over 6000 selfie points will be set up in the country for people to show their support.
Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes Joint Top-Scorer In Men’s International Football
Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo has become the joint top-scorer in men’s international football. He achieved the feat in Portugal’s Euro 2020 game against France at the Puskas Arena in Budapest.
- Ronaldo scored two goals from the spot against France and as a result, he now has 109 goals from 176 matches for Portugal.
- The striker is currently tied with Iran’s legend Ali Daei, who also scored 109 goals from 149 matches.
NDDB executive director Meenesh Shah takes additional charge as Chairman
Meenesh Shah, executive director (ED) of Anand-headquartered National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) has been given additional charge of the post of chairman.
- Shah had taken over the post for a period of six months with effect from June 1 until further orders as the tenure of NDDB’s interim chairman Varsha Joshi ended on May 31.
Delhi Metro Bags Japan Society of Civil Engineers’ Award
The Delhi Metro has bagged an award from the Japan Society of Civil Engineers for its “high-quality” infrastructure development projects under phases I-III. The ‘Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award’ is for the year 2020.
- This award is given to highly selective showcasing projects in the development of civil engineering technology across the world.
- The JSCE termed the Delhi Metro’s project as ‘high-quality Infrastructure development project.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Social Justice & Empowerment Minister TC Gehlot launches website for Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawaarchand Gehlot launched the website for the Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan on the occasion of International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
- Addressing the gathering on the occasion, Mr Gehlot stated that according to the National Comprehensive Survey conducted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, there are more than 60 million drug users in the country of which a large number of users are in the age group of 10 to 17 years.
- He expressed hope that as a part of celebration of 75 years of Independence, the government will soon be able to declare at least 100 districts drug free.
Carnatic musician Parassala Ponnammal passes away at 96
Parassala B Ponnammal, a doyen of carnatic music from Kerala passed away She was 96.
- In 2006, Parassala B Ponnammal became the first woman in 300 years of tradition to sing at the famed Navaratri Celebrations of the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple.
- In 2017, Parassala B Ponnammal was awarded the Padma Shri. She also received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award and Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram in 2009.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Tahmima Anam’s novel ‘The Startup Wife’ released
An award-winning author Tahmima Anam has released his new novel titled ‘The Startup Wife’.
- The novel, titled The Startup Wife has been published by Penguin Random House India.
- It revolves around a coder Asha Ray, and her high school crush-turned-husband Cyrus Jones who develop a hit social media networking app.
Micro, Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises Day
Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (MSMEs) Day is celebrated every year on June 27 to recognise the contribution of these industries in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- In 2021, the theme is “MSME 2021: Key to an inclusive and sustainable recovery.”