Daily Current Affairs 28 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India elected to Executive Board of first UN-Habitat Assembly
India has been elected to the Executive Board of the first UN-Habitat Assembly, announced by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. India has been elected to the Executive Board of the first UN-Habitat Assembly at the Plenary Session of the Assembly being held in Nairobi.
- The first session of the UN-Habitat Assembly started on May 27th at the headquarters of UN-Habitat in Nairobi and will go on till May 31st. The special theme for the UN-Habitat Assembly is “Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities”.
NASA unveiled the plans about the Artemis program
NASA unveiled the calendar for the “Artemis” programme that will return astronauts to the Moon for the first time in half a century, including eight scheduled launches and a mini-station in lunar orbit by 2024. Artemis : The original lunar missions were named for Apollo – Artemis was his twin sister in Greek mythology, and the goddess of hunting, wilderness, and the Moon.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI extends RTGS timings from 4:30 pm to 6 pm
With an aim to ease high-value fund transfers, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced an extension of timings for customer transactions through Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) by one and half hours.
- Customers can now transfer money through RTGS mode till 6 pm instead of the existing 4:30 pm.
- The change will come into effect starting June 1.
- While no fee is charged for transfers between 8 am to 11 am, banks charge Rs 2 for a transaction made between 11 am to 1 pm, and Rs 5 for transfers between 1 pm to 6 pm period. After 6 pm, customers will be charged Rs 10 per outward transaction.
Indian Overseas Bank launches ‘Bank on Wheels’ facility
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has announced that it has launched ‘Bank on Wheels’ facility in 14 of its lead districts in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, besides Vijayawada. The mobile van facility will enable the public, especially senior citizens, conveniently get door-step banking facility available at identified locations of the lead districts.
- A dedicated banking correspondent will accompany the vehicle with a micro-ATM inside the van to take care of services such as account opening, enrollment of customers in Social Security Scheme, passbook printing, and other financial inclusion activities.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Srei Equipment Finance ties up with Oriental Bank of Commerce
Srei Equipment Finance, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Srei Infrastructure Finance, has tied-up with Oriental Bank of Commerce to offer loans for purchase of equipment under a co-lending arrangement.
- Under the arrangement, financing of construction, mining and allied equipment, medical equipment, commercial vehicles and farm equipment will be covered.
GDP growth in Q4 likely to moderate to 5.9-6.1%, says SBI report
The country’s economic growth in the fourth quarter ended March 2019 is expected to moderate to 6.1-5.9 per cent, which could pull down growth rate for the entire fiscal 2018-19 to below 7 per cent, according to a report by SBI.
Rahi Sarnobat clinched gold in the womens 25m pistol in 2019 ISSF World Cup
Rahi Sarnobat clinched gold in the women’s 25m pistol at the season’s third International Shooting Sport Federation World Cup in Munich, Germany. By this win, she sealed an Olympic quota place for India in style.
Saurabh Chaudhary won his second gold medal in 10m Air Pistol event in 2019 ISSF Gold Cup
India’s 17-year-old shooter Saurabh Chaudhary broke his own junior and senior world record to win his second gold medal in 10m Air Pistol event in ISSF Gold Cup 2019. Saurabh won 10m Air Pistol event with 246.3 points, breaking his own senior record of 245 points and junior record of 245.5 points.
Malawi re-elects Peter Mutharika as its President
Malawian President Peter Mutharika has been narrowly re-elected for a second five-year term following a hotly-contested vote, according to the country’s electoral commission.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs