Daily Current Affairs 28 November 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa arrives on 3-day India visit
Sri Lanka newly-elected President Gotabaya Rajapaksa arrived in the national capital for a three-day visit to India, his first trip overseas since he took over this month.
- Gotabaya said that he is looking forward to strengthening bilateral relations with Prime Minister Modi and the Indian government.
Centre approves Punjab CM’s demand of setting up Government Medical College in Kapurthala
Responding to requests made by Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, the Centre approved the establishment of a Government Medical College (GMC) at Kapurthala.
- The Centre has also cleared a proposal for up-gradation of the Civil Hospital, which will lead to an increase in bed strength from 220 to 500 and the installation of latest medical infrastructures.
Centre extends ban on ULFA for 5 years
The Centre extended the ban on United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and its various factions, wings and fronts for five years.
- According to a notification, ULFA has indulged in various illegal and violent activities intended to disrupt the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India in furtherance of its objective of liberating Assam and aligned itself with other unlawful associations of North Eastern Region to secede Assam from India.
HRD Ministry launches Kartavya Portal
Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister launched the kartavya.ugc.ac.in portal for holding monthly essay competitions for students.
- The portal was launched as part of year-long ‘Nagrik Kartavya Paalan Abhiyan’ being observed throughout the country.
- The portal will be used primarily for holding monthly essay competitions for students as well as other activities including quizzes, poster making, debates pertaining to Nagrik Kartavya Paalan Abhiyan.
Ministry of Rural Development sanctions additional 18,338 additional houses for Tripura under PMAY-G
Union Ministry of Rural Development sanctioned 18,338 additional houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Gramin (PMAY-G) for Tripura for the financial year 2019-20.
- The PMAY is a housing initiative of the Government of India launched in 2015 to provide affordable housing to the urban and the rural poor.
- The target of PMAY is to build 20 million affordable houses by March 2022.
MoD clears defence acquisitions worth over Rs 22,800 crore
Ministry of Defence cleared defence acquisitions worth over Rs 22,800 crore including six P-8I naval spy planes from the US.
- To boost the ‘Make in India’ initiative, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) accorded approval for indigenous design, development and manufacturing of ‘Thermal Imaging Night Sights’ for Assault Rifles.
Indian Navy successfully test-fires Brahmos cruise missile
Indian Navy successfully test-fired the 290-km strike range Brahmos supersonic cruise missile. BrahMos is a medium-range supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from ships, aircraft, or land.
DEFCOM India 2019 held in New Delhi
The DEFCOM INDIA 2019 seminar commenced at Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi. The seminar is devoted to the seminal theme of leveraging communications for achieving jointness between the three services.
- The theme for the seminar is, “Communications: A Decisive Catalyst for Jointness”.
- DEFCOM 2019 witnessed active participation from the armed forces, industry, research and development organisations and the academia.
47th All India Police Science Congress begins in Lucknow
The 47th All India Police Science Congress (AIPSC) began in Lucknow. Uttar Pradesh Police in association with the Home Ministry and the Bureau of Police Research and Development is organising the event at the police headquarters in Lucknow.
8th WATEC Israel 2019
Union Minister of Jal Shakti, represented India at the 8 WATEC (Water Technology and Environment Control) Conference 2019. The theme of the conference is “Water Stewardship and Innovation–driving global leadership in the responsible planning management, and protection of water”. The conference held at David Intercontinental in Tel Aviv, Israel.
BANKING & FINANCE
Edelweiss Housing, Bank of Baroda partner for co-lending on home loans
Edelweiss Housing Finance Ltd (EHFL) announced a strategic agreement with Bank of Baroda for co-lending of home loans to self-employed entrepreneurs and salaried customers.
- The partnership involves sharing of risks and rewards between EHFL and India’s third largest public sector bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India, ADB sign $451 million loan to strengthen power connectivity in Tamil Nadu
India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a 451 million dollar loan to strengthen power connectivity between southern and northern parts of Chennai-Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor (CKIC).
- CKIC is a part of East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC) in Tamil Nadu and ADB is the lead partner of government for developing ECEC.
FIFA Rankings: India drop two spots to 108th position
The Indian football team dropped two spots to 108 in the latest FIFA rankings which were announced recently.
- Belgium and France retained their first and second positions respectively in the latest rankings. Brazil are in third place followed by England.
Kiren Rijiju confers Khel Ratna to Bajrang Punia
Union Minister for Sports and Youth Affairs Kiren Rijiju felicitated wrestler Bajrang Punia with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
- Apart from Punia, sprinter Muhammad Anas and shotputter Tejinderpal Singh Toor received Arjuna Awards while Mohinder Singh Dhillon was handed the Dronacharya Award.
Anuj Kumar Taliyan wins gold medal at 11th World Bodybuilding Championship
India’s Anuj Kumar Taliyan won the gold medal in 100+ kg weight category in the 11th World Body Building Championship held at Juju Island, South Korea. Anuj Kumar is a Havildar at Madras Engineer Group in the Indian Army.
Uddhav Thackeray takes oath as Maharashtra CM
Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra by Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari at a grand ceremony held at the Shivaji Park.
- Uddhav is the first member from Thackeray family to become the Chief Minister and the third Shiv Sena leader to hold the top post after Manohar Joshi and Narayan Rane.
Bipin Rawat to be first Chief of Defence Staff
General Bipin Rawat will be the first Chief of Defence Staff. He will end his tenure as the Army Chief in December 2019.
- He will take over as the first Chief of Defence Staff – a four-star position being created as part of a defence management overhaul.
IIT gold medalist awarded Karmaveer Chakra by iCONGO and United Nations
Rahul Adhikari, Founder of International Changemaker Olympiad and an IIT Gold-Medalist, was conferred with the prestigious Karmaveer Chakra Award and REX Karmaveer Global Fellowship.
- He was awarded for his contributions in the education sector, and now joins the family of past awardees like Dr Verghese Kurien (Father of White Revolution), Actor Anupam Kher (for his social work) and Mark Parkinson (renowned education change champion).
- The Karmaveer Chakra Award is a National People’s Award for Citizen Social Action and a global civilian honours instituted by the International Confederation of NGO (iCONGO) in partnership with the United Nations.