Daily Current Affairs 28 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Maharashtra first state to release its own Wildlife Action Plan
Maharashtra became the first state to release its own Wildlife Action plan (2021-30). The new plan, which will be implemented over the next 10 years, recognises concerns about climate change impacts on wildlife, coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity, flora and fauna.
- The plan will be a guiding document for an action plan for wildlife conservation for the next decade.
- The plan has suggested integrating climate change adaption in wildlife conservation and the plan focuses on 12 areas.
Goa govt launches initiative for free breast cancer screening for 1 lakh women
Under the initiative ‘Swasth Mahila, Swasth Goa’, launched by international cricketing icon and humanitarian Yuvraj Singh’s YouWeCan Foundation in partnership with SBI foundation, state government, free breast cancer screening will be done for 1 lakh women in Goa, thereby ensuring that 50 per cent of the age-eligible female population in the state is screened.
- Funded by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance and with SBI Foundation, under this initiative, free breast cancer screening using ‘iBreast’ devices will be done for 1 lakh women in Goa over a period of two years.
- Free treatment will be provided for all positive cases with the support of the Government of Goa.
NSDC collaborates with Global Partners to launch India’s first Skill Impact Bond
Sharing the vision of an ‘employment ready’ young India, the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) in collaboration with a coalition comprising HRH Prince Charles’s British Asian Trust, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, HSBC India, JSW Foundation and Dubai Cares, with FCDO (UK Government) & USAID as technical partners, launched the first-of-its-kind Impact Bond for Skilling.
- The Skill Impact Bond (SIB) is also the first impact bond involving public, private partners and a public private partnership organisation, NSDC.
- The coalition has brought together a US$14.4 million fund to benefit 50,000 young people in India over four years. The target group includes 60 percent women and girls and to equip them with skills and vocational training and provide access to wage-employment in Covid-19 recovery sectors including retail, apparel, healthcare, and logistics.
India ranked 9th in VC funding for climate tech globally: Report
According to a report published by London & Partners and Dealroom.co, India ranks at the ninth spot globally for climate tech investment, with the country’s climate tech businesses receiving US$ 1 billion in venture capital funding between 2016 and 2021.
- Global climate tech venture capital investment surged from US$ 6.6 billion in 2016 to US$ 32.3 billion in 2021, a rise in funding by almost five times, the research disclosed.
- The top 10 countries for climate tech VC investment between 2016 and 2021 are – US (US$ 48 billion), China (US$ 18.6 billion), Sweden (US$ 5.8 billion), UK (US$ 4.3 billion), France (US$ 3.7 billion), Germany (US$ 2.7 billion), Canada (US$ 1.4 billion), Netherlands (US$ 1.3 billion), India (US$ 1 billion) and Singapore (US$ 700 million).
BANKING & FINANCE
YES Bank launches YES Family to fulfil every family member’s needs
In order to celebrate this festive season together, YES Bank has launched its YES Family proposition, which offers services and privileges for the family of an account holder.
- The bank claims that the offering is packed with exclusive benefits, which have been curated thoughtfully.
- From shopping and dining together, to availing loans in a more convenient and rewarding way for their customers, YES Family proposition covers it all.
SBI General Insurance collaborates with Google Pay to offer health insurance
SBI General Insurance has announced a technological collaboration with the digital payments platform Google Pay.
- The collaboration will allow customers to purchase SBI General’s health insurance plan directly through the Google Pay app. The partnership is in line with SBI General’s plan to expand its distribution of insurance solutions through digital channels.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Government ties up with Google to boost app innovations by desi startups
MeitY Startup Hub, an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Google has announced a partnership to launch a growth and development program called the Appscale Academy.
- The program is aimed to train early to mid-stage startups across India on building high-quality apps for the world.
- The academy aims to focus on helping local startups build and scale a range of apps across domains, including gaming, healthcare, fintech,edtech, social impact, and more. Applications will be open till 15th December 2021, from which 100 startups will be selected based on defined qualitative and quantitative parameters by a panel of industry experts, members of MeitY Startup Hub and Google Play.
Netherlands all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate retires from international cricket
Netherlands all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate announced his retirement from international cricket after his side failed to qualify for the Super 12 stage of the T20 World Cup in Sharjah.
- Born in South Africa, Ten Doeschate made his debut in Amstelveen in 2006 against Sri Lanka in an ODI match. He went on to play 33 ODIs and 24 T20s for the Netherlands.
- He scored 1541 ODI runs at an average of 67 and 533 T20I runs at an average of 41.
TVS Motor Company Wins India Green Energy Award
TVS Motor Company, a reputed manufacturer of two-wheelers and three-wheelers in the world, has been recognised in the category ‘Outstanding Renewable Energy User’ at the Third Edition of India Green Energy Award 2020 by the Indian Federation of Green Energy (IFGE).
- The company has won this award as an acknowledgement of its sustainable efforts to increase the usage of alternative power sources in renewable energy to ensure long-term energy security and stability.