Daily Current Affairs 28 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Delhi LG Vinai Kumar Saxena launched property tax amnesty scheme SAMRIDDHI
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Vinai Kumar Saxena launched a one-time property tax amnesty scheme, ‘SAMRIDDHI 2022-23’.The scheme is valid from October 26, 2022 till March 31, 2023. It aims to provide relief to commercial and residential property owners in the city.
- SAMRIDDHI stands for The Strengthening and Augmentation of Municipal Revenue for Infrastructure Development in Delhi.This scheme is launched to resolve thousands of pending court cases since the unit area method for property tax calculation came into existence in 2004.
- Residential property owners who opt for the SAMRIDDHI scheme are required to pay the principal amounts for ‘One Plus Five’ years. So the tax for residential properties will be calculated for six years, that is, the current financial year, and for years 2017-18 to 2021-22.
Indian Navy, Drone Federation of India to work towards maritime drones
With an aim of developing versatile and reliable drone platforms for advanced maritime cases, the Technology Development and Acceleration Cell (TDAC) of the Naval Innovation Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) under the Indian Navy and Drone Federation of India (DFI) have joined hands to collaboratively work towards promoting indigenous development, manufacturing and testing of a drone, counter-drone, and associated technologies for the Navy.
- Under the joint collaboration, areas related to developing a deeper industry connection as well as building a stronger roadmap for induction of drone platforms in the Indian Navy will be on focus.
- Further, the Indian Navy and DFI will increase the Navy-industry-academia synergy, and source technology development challenges towards component indigenisation.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Coca-Cola’s Sprite becomes billion-dollar brand in Indian market
Global soft drinks major Coca-Cola Company said its lemon and lime-flavoured soft drink Sprite has become a billion-dollar brand in the Indian market.
- The company has recorded a “strong” volume growth in its India business in the third quarter of 2022, helped by its sparkling soft drinks portfolio and fruit drink brand Maaza.
- Earlier in January this year, Coca-Cola had said its Indian soft drink brand Thums Up had become a billion-dollar brand in 2021. India is the fifth-largest market for Coca-Cola globally.
BCCI decides to end discrimination; offer equal pay to men & women cricketers
In a historic move, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced equal match fee for both men and women cricket players of India.
- The BCCI women cricketers will be paid the same match fee as their male counterparts. As per new rules, the payment for Tests will be 15 lakh rupees, 6 lakh rupees for ODIs, and 3 lakh rupees for T-20.
Shefali Juneja elected as chairperson of UN’s Air Transport Committee
Dr Shefali Juneja was named the chairperson of the Air Transport Committee (ATC) of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a specialized agency of the United Nations, becoming the first Indian in 28 years to do so.
- In September last year, Juneja was elected as the chairperson of the ICAO’S Aviation Security Committee (ASC) and made an Indian taking charge of the position after a gap of 12 years. Juneja has been serving as India’s representative in the council of the ICAO since 2019.
- Juneja, a 1992 batch officer of the Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax cadre), served as the joint secretary in the ministry of civil aviation (MoCA) before joining the ICAO.
Elizabeth Jones appointed Chargé d’Affaires ad interim at U.S. Embassy in New Delhi
The Biden administration has appointed senior foreign service officer Elizabeth Jones the Chargé d’Affaires ad interim at the US Embassy in New Delhi, an official announcement said.
- Jones, who was the coordinator for Afghan relocation efforts recently, will depart to New Delhi soon, the State Department said in an announcement.
- Jones has earlier served as the Assistant Secretary of State for Europe and Eurasia, acting Assistant Secretary of State for the Near East
Govt appoints Sangeeta Verma as acting chairperson of CCI for 3 months
The Corporate Affairs Ministry (MCA) appointed Sangeeta Verma, Member-CCI, as Acting Chairperson of Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- Verma is currently a member at the regulator.She has been appointed as Acting Chairperson for three months or till any further orders, the MCA said in an order.
- She will replace Ashok Kumar Gupta.Gupta had taken over as the CCI chairperson in November 2018.
FIPRESCI declared ‘Pather Panchali’ as best Indian movie
Legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray’s feature Pather Panchali has been declared the best Indian film of all time by the International Federation of Film Critics (FIPRESCI).
- The 1955 film has received the number one slot in the top ten films in the history of Indian cinema list, which was declared after a poll conducted by the India chapter of FIPRESCI.
- This list also features Ritwik Ghatak’s 1960 drama Meghe Dhaka Tara (Bengali), Mrinal Sen’s 1969 drama Bhuvan Shome (Hindi), Adoor Gopalakrishnan’s 1981 drama Elippathayam (Malayalam), Girish Kasaravalli’s 1977 film Ghatashraddha (Kannada), MS Sathyu’s 1973 movie Garm Hava (Hindi), Ray’s 1964 film Charulata (Bengali), Shyam Benegal’s 1974 film Ankur (Hindi), Guru Dutt’s 1954 film Pyaasa (Hindi) and 1975 blockbuster Sholay (Hindi), directed by Ramesh Sippy.
Two more Indian Beaches enter the coveted list of Blue Beaches
Recognising India’s commitment to protect and conserve the pristine coastal & marine ecosystems, the globally recognized and the coveted International eco-label ‘Blue Flag’ has been accorded to two new beaches in India.
- Minicoy, Thundi Beach and Kadmat Beach, in Lakshadweep are the proud entrants in the coveted list of Blue Beaches, an eco-label given to the cleanest beaches in the world.Now the tally of total blue flag-endorsed beaches in India stands at 12.
- The other Indian beaches in the blue list are Kappad: Kerala, Shivrajpur: Gujarat, Ghoghla: Diu, Kasarkod and Padubidri: Karnataka, Rushikonda: Andhra Pradesh, Golden: Odisha, Radhanagar: Andaman and Nicobar, Eden in Puducherry and Kovalam in Tamil Nadu.
President Droupadi Murmu presents Silver Trumpet and Trumpet Banner to President’s Bodyguard
President Droupadi Murmu presented the Silver Trumpet and Trumpet Banner to the President’s Bodyguard at a ceremony in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The President’s Bodyguard is the oldest regiment in the Indian Army. This regiment has the unique distinction of being the only military unit of the Indian Army that is privileged to carry the President’s Silver Trumpet and Trumpet Banner.
- This distinction was conferred on the President’s Bodyguard in 1923 by the then Viceroy, Lord Reading, on the occasion of the Bodyguard completing 150 years of service. On 27 January 1950, the regiment was renamed the President’s Bodyguard.