Daily Current Affairs 29 April 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Gujarat govt launches unique initiative ‘Umbare Aanganwadi’ to help children during lockdown
In Gujarat, Women and Child Development Ministry(WCD) has taken a unique initiative called Umbare Aanganwadi, i.e doorstep Aanganwadi to reach out to children during the lockdown.
- The ICDS Department has launched a TV programme called Umbare Aanganwadi which is telecast every alternate day through Vande Gujarat channel as well as Jio TV. Same is also telecast on You Tube.
BANKING & FINANCE
Asian Development Bank approves $1.5 billion USD to India to Combat COVID-19
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said it has approved $1.5 billion loan to India to help fund its fight against coronavirus pandemic.
- The loan has been sanctioned with a view to support immediate priorities such as disease containment and prevention, as well as social protection for the poor and economically vulnerable sections.
- It is fully committed to supporting the Indian government in its response to this unprecedented challenge.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
APEC region to post 2.7% economic contraction in 2020 due to Covid-19: Report
The APEC region is expected to post a 2.7 percent economic contraction in 2020 due to the impact of the novel coronavirus, the most significant fall since the near-zero growth rate logged in 2009 during the global financial crisis, according to the report ‘APEC in the Epicentre of COVID-19’.
- The contraction compares with a 3.6 percent growth in 2019 for the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, which includes Japan, China and the United States.
- The region’s unemployment rate is projected to rise to 5.4 percent in 2020 from 3.8 percent in 2019, or an additional 23.5 million workers in the region being unemployed in 2020.
India loses hosting rights of men’s World Boxing Championships 2021
India lost the hosting rights of the 2021 men’s world boxing championship to Serbia after the national federation failed to pay the host fee, prompting the International Boxing Association (AIBA) to terminate the agreement signed in 2017.
- The amount to the international boxing association was estimated to be USD 4 million and the payment was to be made by the host country on December 2, 2019. India will also have to pay the cancellation fee penalty of USD 500.
Shiv Das Meena appointed as Chairman & Managing Director of HUDCO
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, additional secretary, Shiv Das Meena has been appointed as chairman and managing director of Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) for a period of six months with immediate effect.
- Meena is a 1989 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre is having over 30 years of experience in public service. He assumed the office of CMD, HUDCO Ltd with effect from April 21, 2020.
Biocon’s Mazumdar-Shaw among world’s top 20 leaders in Biopharma: The Medicine Maker Power List 2020
Biocon Ltd announced that The Medicine Maker Power List 2020 has ranked its Executive Chairperson Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw as one of the world’s top 20 inspirational leaders in the field of biopharmaceuticals.
- She has been recognised for her contribution to the world of medicine as an entrepreneur and innovative business leader.
- The Medicine Maker Power List 20 for 2020 celebrates 60 great minds who have brought the world innovation in small molecules, biopharmaceuticals and advanced medicine.
Padma Shri award winning Actor Irrfan Khan passes away
Padma Shri awardee actor and one of the finest talents in Bollywood Irrfan Khan passed away. He was 54.
- Irrfan Khan was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour, in 2011 for his contributions to the Indian film industry.
- In a career spanning almost 30 years and work across Indian, Hollywood and British films, Khan was last seen in comedy drama Angrezi Medium that was the last film to hit screens before the nationwide lockdown in mid-March
World Veterinary Day 2020
The World Veterinary Day is observed on the last Saturday of April in order to acknowledge the work done by veterinarians across the globe.
- The 2020 World Veterinary Day held on 25th April 2020. The theme for the event this year is “Environmental protection for improving animal and human health”
World Day For Safety And Health At Work 2020
World Day for Safety and Health at Work takes place on April 28. The main objective is to focus international attention on the magnitude of the problem and to promote healthy work culture so that several work-related deaths and injuries can be reduced
- The theme for World Day for Safety and Health at Work 2020 is “Stop the pandemic: Safety and health at work can save lives”