Daily Current Affairs 29 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MyGov reaches 1 crore registered users
Central government’s citizen engagement platform – MyGov has reached one crore registered users. Five years ago, @mygovindia began its journey with a vision to offer a platform for the voice and views of the people of India.
Maharashtra cabinet approves farm loan waiver, meal scheme
The Shiv Sena-led government in Maharashtra approved the farm loan waiver scheme announced last week and also gave its nod to a subsidised meal scheme for the poor.
- The state cabinet approved the Mahatma Jyotirao Phule Farmer Loan Waiver Scheme, under which crop arrears pending till September 30, 2019, will be waived.
- Similarly, the cabinet gave its approval to launching the ‘Shiv Bhojan’ programme, under which the poor will be served meal at the subsidised rate of Rs 10 at designated centres in all districts of the state.
Kejriwal launches housing scheme for residents of JJ clusters
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Aawas Yojana’ for the residents of Jhuggi Jhopri (JJ) clusters and said the AAP government would provide a pucca house to every citizen of Delhi.
- According to the Chief Minister, 65,000 families residing in slum areas were distributed certificates and they would soon be provided pucca houses.
UN declares Malala decade’s ‘most famous teenager’
The UN has declared Pakistani education activist and Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai as “the most famous teenager in the world” in its ‘Decade in Review’ report.
- In part one of its review series, which takes into account events that happened between 2010 and the end of 2013, the UN highlighted the devastating Haiti earthquake in 2010, the beginning of the ongoing Syrian conflict for 2011 and Malala’s work in favour of girls’ education for the year 2012.
- In 2014, Malala became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of her efforts for children’s rights which started even before she was shot in the head two years ago by Taliban militants.
Tropical Cyclone Sarai lashes Fiji
Tropical Cyclone Sarai lashed the Pacific island nation Fiji with heavy rain and destructive winds. Packing wind gusts up to 140km/h, Sarai has brought down trees and cut power supplies while stranding thousands of holidaymakers as flights to and from Fiji were either cancelled or rescheduled.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI to launch OTP-based cash withdrawal at all its ATMs from January 1, 2020 onwards
The State Bank of India (SBI) will switch to a one-time password (OTP) based cash withdrawal system at all its ATMs from January 1, 2020, onwards.
- With this latest move, the lender aims to ensure the protection of its customers from unauthorised transactions at ATMs.
- The new OTP-based ATM withdrawal will be applicable for transactions above Rs 10,000, between 8 pm to 8 am. Customers withdrawing cash from SBI ATMs will receive an OTP on their mobile number registered with the bank.
- However, the facility won’t apply in case of transactions made by SBI card holders at any other bank’s ATM.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India set to cross 100-GW renewable energy capacity mark in 2020
India is set to cross the 100-Gw renewable energy capacity mark in 2020 and can make rapid strides towards the ambitious 175 Gw clean energy target by 2022 provided the government keeps a close eye on key issues and deals with those well in time.
- The government, however, needs to promote storage to ensure 24×7 clean energy supply as coal fired thermal power still remains the base load in the country.
Finance Ministry makes Aadhaar linking mandatory for PM Vaya Vandana Yojana
The Finance Ministry has made it mandatory for Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) beneficiaries and applicants to submit their Aadhaar number or undergo Aadhaar authentication. The pension scheme is implemented through LIC for senior citizens.
Krish Srikkanth, Anjum Chopra to receive CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
Former India captain and member of the 1983 World Cup – winning team Krishnamachari Srikkanth will be the recipient of this year’s prestigious CK Nayudu Lifetime Award given by the BCCI.
- Former India women’s captain Anjum Chopra is the co-recipient of the lifetime achievement award for the year 2019.
- The BCCI Annual Award function will be held in Mumbai on January 12 ahead of the first ODI against Australia on January 14.
Udayan Mane sets new PGTI record; bags TATA Steel Tour C’ship title
In Golf, Udayan Mane produced a flawless seven-under 65 on the final day to claim a thrilling one-shot win at the season-ending TATA Steel Tour Championship in Jamshedpur. It was Mane’s eighth professional title and his second win on the PGTI this season.
Koneru Humpy becomes Women’s World Rapid Chess Champion
Indian grandmaster Koneru Humpy has become the 2019 Women’s World Rapid Champion. She defeated China’s Lei Tingjie in a dramatic final in Moscow, Russia.
Hemant Soren takes oath as 11th chief minister of Jharkhand
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader Hemant Soren took oath as the eleventh Chief Minister of Jharkhand at a mega event in Ranchi. This is the second time that Mr Soren is being sworn in as the chief minister.