Daily Current Affairs 29 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘Aadhaar’ is Oxford’s first Hindi word of the year
The Hindi Word of the Year as announced by Oxford Dictionaries for 2017 is ‘AADHAAR’. ‘Aadhaar’ also becomes the first Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year. The accompanying shortlisted words include Notebandi, Swachh, Vikaas, Yoga and Bahubali, reflect the social, cultural, political and economic trends and events that have been part of 2017.
Jaipur to host global spice meet in February
The third edition of international spice conference will be held at Jaipur, Rajasthan from February 4-7. Over 750 delegates from various countries including representatives of international spice associations, policymakers, farmers, etc are expected to participate in the four-day meet.
3-day international bird festival to be held at Dudhwa
A three-day international bird festival will be held at the Dudhwa National Park in Uttar Pradesh from February 9 with nearly 200 leading ornithologists expected to attend. Eminent documentary maker Mike Pandey would act as the brand ambassador of the festival.
Assam Governor releases stamp on footballer
Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi released a postage stamp on legendary footballer Dr Talimeren Ao during his birth centenary. Ao was instrumental in popularising football in Assam. He was captain of the Indian football team in their first official match in the 1948 London Olympics.
India’s GDP growth projected between 7-7.5% in 2018-19
India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth for 2018-19 has been projected at 7 to 7.5 percent as per the Economic Survey 2017-18.
- The document, which was tabled in Lok Sabha, noted that a series of major reforms undertaken over the past year will allow real GDP growth to reach 6.75 percent this fiscal and will rise to 7.0 to 7.5 percent in 2018-19.
India cheapest country to live in after South Africa: Survey
According to a survey by GoBankingRates ranked nations, India is ranked second only to South Africa as the cheapest country to live or retire.
- These rankings are based four key affordability metrics: Local purchasing power index, rent index, Groceries index, and Consumer price index.
Australian Open 2018- Complete List of Winners
The Australian Open is a tennis tournament held annually in Melbourne Park, Australia. The 2018 Australian Open is the 106th edition of the tournament.
- Men’s Singles – Roger Federer (Switzerland)
- Women’s Singles – Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark)
- Men’s Doubles – Oliver Marach (Austria) Mate Pavic(Croatia)
- Women’s Doubles – Kristina Mladenovic (France) – Tímea Babos (Hungary)
- Mixed Doubles – Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada) – Mate Pavic (Croatia).
Sandeep becomes first Nepal player to get IPL contract
Sandeep Lamichhane has become the first cricketer from Nepal to land a deal an IPL contract when he was picked by Delhi Daredevils in the ongoing players auction. The 17-year-old, the only Nepal player in the IPL auction, was sold at his base price of Rs 20 lakh.
Vijay Gokhale assumes charges as Foreign Secretary
Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale has assumed charges as the new Foreign Secretary of India. Gokhale succeeds Dr Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, as the latter completed his tenure on January 28.
Finland re-elects President Sauli Niinisto for second term
Finland has re-elected their popular and pragmatic president Sauli Niinisto, who is credited for maintaining a balanced relationship with the nation’s powerful neighbour Russia at a time of simmering relations between Moscow the West.
Grammy Awards 2018
The 60th Annual Grammy Awards, honouring the best achievements from October 2016 to September 2017 were held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, the USA.
Here is the list of winners of the 60th Grammy Awards:
- Album Of The Year: Bruno Mars
- Song of the Year: Bruno Mars’, That’s What I Like
- Record Of The Year: Bruno Mars, 24K Magic
- Best Pop Solo Performance: Ed Sheeran, Shape of You
- Best Pop Vocal Album: Ed Sheeran, Divide
- Best Dance Recording: LCD Soundsystem, Tonite
- Best Music Film: The Defiant Ones
- Best Children’s Album: Feel What U Feel, Lisa Loeb
- Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media: La La Land
- Producer of the Year, Classical: David Frost
CM Naveen releases book on Biju Patnaik
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik released a book on his father — The Tall Man Biju Patnaik — written by Sundar Ganesan, who said his material on Biju Patnaik “was found scattered all over the world in countries like Indonesia, France, Germany, USA, Russia, Singapore, and other places”.
Chhattisgarh’s first Governor passes away
The first governor of Chhattisgarh and former governor of Tripura, Dinesh Nandan Sahay, has passed away.