Daily Current Affairs 29 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Haryana CM announces annual health assistance to ‘loktantra senanis’
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced an annual financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh to “loktantra senanis” or their spouse.
- Under this, they will be provided treatment at private or government hospitals. The term “emergency victim” on their identity cards would be replaced with “loktantra senani”.
- “Loktantra senanis” are those people who were imprisoned during the 1975-77 Emergency under preventive detention laws.
BANKING & FINANCE
India signs USD 400M loan agreement with World Bank
India has signed a loan agreement worth 400 million dollar with the World Bank to help treat and eliminate Tuberculosis from the country.
- The World Bank supported program will cover nine States and it will support the government’s National Strategic Plan to end TB in India by 2025.
World Bank, Centre and Kerala sign $250-m loan pact
The Government of India, Government of Kerala and World Bank signed a loan agreement of $250 million (Rs 1,725 crore) for the First Resilient Kerala Programme to enhance the state’s resilience against the impact of natural disasters and climate change.
- The programme, which represents the first ‘State Partnership’ of the World Bank in India, is the first of two Development Policy Operations aiming to mainstream disaster and climate resilience into critical infrastructure and services.
- The loan aims to support Kerala with improved river basin and water infrastructure operations management, water supply and sanitation services, resilient and sustainable agriculture, enhanced agriculture risk insurance, improved resilience of the core road network, unified and more up-to-date land records in high-risk areas, risk-based urban planning and strengthened expenditure planning by urban local bodies and strengthened fiscal and public financial management capacity of the state.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Govt cuts interest rate on small savings schemes
The GoI has reduced interest rates for small savings schemes by 10 basis points for the July-September quarter of the 2019-20 financial year. Current Rates are
- Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) – 7.6% and mature in 113 months
- National Savings Certificate (NSC) – 7.9%
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) – 7.9%
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account – 8.4%
- Senior Citizens Savings Scheme – 8.6%
RBI allows ARCs to buy financial assets from peers
The Reserve Bank of India has allowed Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs) to buy financial assets from other ARCs. The transactions must be settled in cash between the 2 enitities.
- In view of amendment to the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Securities Interest Act, 2002, it has been decided to permit ARCs to acquire financial assets from other ARCs.
RBI relaxes leverage ratio for banks
The Reserve Bank relaxed the leverage ratio (LR) to 4% for Domestic Systemically Important Banks (DSIBs) and 3.5% for other banks. This has been done to help them boost their lending activities.
- The reduced leverage ratio will be effective from the quarter commencing October 1, 2019.
- The leverage ratio, as defined under Basel-III norms, is Tier-I capital as a percentage of the bank’s exposures.
FIEO elects Sharad Kumar Saraf as new president
Exporters body Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) has elected Sharad Kumar Saraf as its new president.
- Sharad Kumar Saraf will replace renowned exporter Ganesh Kumar Gupta.
IIT Kanpur honours Gopichand with honorary doctorate
IIT Kanpur honours India’s chief national badminton coach Pullela Gopichand with honorary doctorate on the occasion of their 52nd convocation.
- Former President APJ Abdul Kalam and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh are past recipients of the honour.
Writer Abburi Chaya Devi passes away
Telugu story writer and the Sahitya Akademi award winner Abburi Chaya Devi passes away. Some of her popular stories are Bonsai Bathuku, Prayanam Sukhantam, Akhariki Aidu Nakshatralu, and Wood Rose.
Malayalam director Babu Narayanan passes away
Malayalam director Babu Narayanan passes away. He directed several Malayalam hits such as ‘Kudumba Vishesham’ and ‘Welcome to Kodaikanal’.
- Babu Narayanan was also part of the Anil-Babu duo that made several box office hits like Sthreedhanam, Pattabhishekam.
The Government of India celebrates the Statistics Day to popularize the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitize the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
- The day is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Prof. P C Mahalanobis, on 29th June.
- Theme of Statistics Day for year 2019 is “Sustainable Development Goals.”
International Day of the Tropics
The United Nations observe 29 June as International Day of the Tropics. The International Day of the Tropics celebrates the extraordinary diversity of the tropics while highlighting unique challenges and opportunities the Tropical nations face.