Daily Current Affairs 29 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approves Rs 6600 cr education loan for weaker sections
The Cabinet approved Rs 6,600 crore for providing education loans to students belonging to economically weaker sections.
- The Cabinet approved the continuation of Credit Guarantee Fund for Education Loans Scheme (CGFEL) and continuation and modification of Central Sector Interest Subsidy Scheme (CSIS).
- The government over the period of 2017-18 to 2019-20 would provide loans for 10 lakh students.
- It is made available for all the professional/technical courses in India and students with annual gross parental income up to Rs 4.5 lakh.
Cabinet approves Rs 4,500 crore to boost development projects in North-East
Cabinet has approved Schemes of North Eastern Council (NEC) including continuation of existing Schemes. It will boost the development projects in North-East.
- 4,500 crore rupees have been approved for the scheme for three years upto March, 2020.
MP govt launches “Kadaknath” app to market black chicken breed
The Madhya Pradesh government has come up with a mobile application to market rare chicken breed–the “Kadaknath”–whose black meat is in high demand for its nutritious content and purported medicinal properties.
- The “MP Kadaknath” mobile app aims to connect poultries that sale the breed with people from other parts of the country.
Proposal for Goa-Kaliningrad as twin regions approved
The Goa Cabinet approved the proposal to make the scenic Kaliningrad region of Russia near the Baltic Sea a twin region of Goa, in order to promote cultural and social exchanges.
- According to the agreement, valid for three years, both the Goa government and the administration of the Kaliningrad region will “actively promote bilateral co-operation and build and develop their relations in the spirit of friendship, trust and mutual respect on the basis of equality, partnership and mutual advantage”.
ISRO successfully launches GSAT-6A satellite
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched the GSLV-F08 carrying the GSAT-6A communication satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota.
- Providing mobile communication to India through multi-beam coverage facility, is a key feature of the satellite.
- The GSAT-6A will complement GSAT-6 launched earlier. The two satellites will provide platform for advanced technologies for point-to-point communication.
- The GSLV rocket which lifted the communications satellite has been named as ‘Naughty Boy’ by ISRO scientists as it had a rough record, with five of its 11 flights ending in failure.
New Jersey declares April as Sikh Awareness Month
The US state of New Jersey has declared April as ‘Sikh Awareness and Appreciation Month’ as part of its effort to promote awareness of the faith.
- New Jersey’s State Assembly made the declaration in a joint resolution this week, saying it was an effort to combat the “increasing and unacceptable levels of anti-Sikh bigotry”.
BANKING & FINANCE
Jana Small Finance Bank begins operation, to foray into affordable housing, consumer durable loans
Jana Small Finance Bank has finally commenced operations after a year of receiving final license from Reserve Bank of India. The bank plans to foray into affordable housing loans and consumer durable loans while it will continue with focus on microfinance.
- The bank has its headquarters in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
RBI imposes monetary penalty worth Rs 58.9 crore on ICICI Bank
In a rare move, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed monetary penalty worth Rs. 58.9 crore on ICICI Bank, the country’s biggest private bank, for failing to abide by rules on the sale of bonds in the held-to-maturity (HTM) category.
Rs 350 coin to mark birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh
Government will come out with a Rs 350 commemorative coin to mark 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh, the 10th and last Sikh Guru.
- The obverse will bear the rupee symbol and denominational value ‘350’ in international numerals below the Lion Capital.
- The reverse side will bear the picture of “Takht Shri Harimandir Ji Patna Sahib” in the centre.
- The years ‘1666’ and ‘2016’ in international numerals will be on the left and right periphery of the coin.
Andhra Pradesh appoints shuttler Srikanth as Deputy Collector
Ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has been appointed as a Deputy Collector by the Andhra Pradesh government.
Justice Rahim appointed acting chairperson of NGT
The Supreme Court appointed Justice Jawad Rahim as the acting chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT). Justice Rahim would also participate in the selection process of judicial experts.
- NGT chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar had retired in December 2017. After that, Justice Umesh Dattatraya Salvi was appointed as the acting chairperson of NGT who retired from the post in February 2018 after completing a five-year tenure.
Sisi wins second term as Egypt President
Incumbent Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has been re-elected to the post for the second time. Sisi won the elections with a brute majority, amassing a massive 92 percent vote share.
Veteran Malayalam film personality Sreekumaran Thampi bags J.C. Daniel award
One of the most popular Malayalam film personalities, Sreekumaran Thampi was awarded the prestigious J.C. Daniel Award for in recognition of his sterling contributions to the Malayalam film industry.
- The award is the Kerala government’s top film award for a veteran, Thampi, 78, began in the Malayalam film industry in 1966 as a lyricist but went on to produce 25 films, direct 29, write scripts for 85 besides writing thousands of songs.