Daily Current Affairs 29 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government accords in-Principle approval to set up 21 greenfield airports across the country
Government has accorded in-principle approval to set up 21 greenfield airports across the country. These airports include Mopa in Goa; Navi Mumbai, Sindhudurg and Shirdi in Maharashtra; Bijapur, Hassan, Kalaburagi and Shimoga in Karnataka; Dabra in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh; Kushinagar and Jewar (Noida) in Uttar Pradesh.
- Other states where these airports will come up are Gujarat, Puducherry, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Sikkim, Kerala and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Eight of these 21 airports have already been operationalized.
1.15 crore houses sanctioned under PMAY (Urban)
Government has sanctioned 1.15 crore houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna (Urban), which is going to end this month. The objective of the scheme and the dream of Prime Minister Narendra Modi enshrined in it will stand fulfilled within the next 18 months.
- The PMAY-U was conceived in June 2015 and the demand for houses has gone well beyond the initial projection of one crore. The Minister also said the number has now reached 1.15 crore and in the remaining three days of this fiscal, it will go up further.
India crosses milestone of 50,000 ODF Plus villages
The country has crossed a milestone of 50 thousand open defecation-free (ODF) Plus villages. Among the top performing States are Telangana with 13 thousand 960 ODF Plus villages followed by Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh.
- Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen Phase-II was launched in February 2020 with the aim to ensure that all villages in the country can declare themselves as ODF Plus by the end of 2024.
10-day mega Red Fort Festival – Bharat Bhagya Vidhata begins
The ten-day mega Red Fort Festival -Bharat Bhagya Vidhata kick has started at the iconic 17th- century monument Red Fort in Delhi. Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the festival.
- The Red Fort mega festival-Bharat Bhagya Vidhata is being organised as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav by Ministry of Culture.
- The festival aims to commemorate the heritage of the country and culture of every part of India. The festival Bharat Bhagya Vidhata will help everyone to appreciate the diversity of India. More than 70 master craftsmen have displayed their craftsmanship at the venue.
Western Naval command conducts exercise prasthan in western offshore development area
An offshore security exercise, code-named ‘Prasthan’ was conducted in the Offshore Development Area (ODA) off Mumbai by the Western Naval Command (WNC).
- The exercise provided all stake holders a realistic scenario to assess their readiness to respond to and combat contingencies in the Western ODA, as also to operate together in a coordinated manner.
Moradabad 2nd most noise polluted city globally, says UNEP
A recent report by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has placed Uttar Pradesh’s Moradabad as the second noisiest city in the world. The UNEP report – ‘Frontiers 2022: Noise, Blazes and Mismatches’ highlighted the long-term physical and mental health impacts of noise pollution.
- Three cities in South Asia have filled the top three spots in the list – Bangladesh’s Dhaka, Moradabad in India’s Uttar Pradesh, and Pakistan’s Islamabad.
- The report draws attention to noise pollution and its long-term physical and mental health impacts, along with measures that can be implemented to create positive and restorative soundscapes in urban areas.
BANKING & FINANCE
Max Life Insurance partners PhonePe to offer financial protection to consumers
Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd has announced the launch of Max Life Smart Secure Plus Plan, a non-linked non-participating individual pure risk premium life insurance plan on the PhonePe app to enhance financial protection for digitally-savvy customers.
- With this, PhonePe customers can avail comprehensive financial coverage for their families with premiums starting as low as ₹4,426 annually.
- Through a simplified digital customer journey, the term plan can be purchased on the PhonePe app without any hassle or excessive paperwork.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IIE signs MoU with MoRD to support rural entrepreneurs
The Indian Institute of Entrepreneurship (IIE) under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), to promote entrepreneurship at a local level amongst the rural youth.
- Under the agreement, the Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP), the sub scheme of the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM), with the core objective of promoting employment opportunities in rural India, particularly developing self-employment avenues for unemployed rural people.
Defence Ministry bans import of 107 strategically important sub-systems
The Ministry of Defence has banned import of 107 strategically important line replacement units or sub-systems aimed to enhance self-reliance in defence manufacturing.
- These 107 sub-systems will be indigenised in the coming years and will only be procured from Indian Industry after the timelines indicated against each of them in the list.
- Indigenisation of these items will be taken up by DPSUs under ‘Make’ category. ‘Make’ Category aims to achieve self-reliance by involving greater participation of Indian industry.
AAI and BEL join hands to develop indigenous Air Traffic Management Systems
In a major boost to Government’s “Make in India” Initiative, Airports Authority of India (AAI) has entered into an agreement with Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the joint indigenous development of systems for air traffic management and surface movement of aircraft at airports in the country which were being imported till now.
- The agreement was signed by AAI’s B K Sarkar and BEL’s M V Raja Sekhar at Wings India 2022 in Hyderabad.
- Under this agreement, BEL and AAI will jointly develop Civil Air Traffic Management System (ATMS) with Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (ASMGCS), a complex ground surveillance system that manages air traffic at airports and in Indian civil airspace for safe operation of flights from take-off to landing.
GMR Airports, Airbus collaborate to study on sustainable aviation
Airport operators Groupe ADP and GMR Airports together with Airbus, Axens and Safran have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to conduct a joint study on Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) and their potential in India.
- The objective of the study, conducted under the lead and coordination of Groupe ADP and GMR Airports and with the expertise of all partners, is to understand and evaluate the demand, the challenges and opportunities of supply, infrastructure and fueling, as well as to prepare a business case for SAF production and use in India for all kind of aviation purposes, said the official spokesperson of the GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
SIDBI acquires stake in ONDC to facilitate market access to MSMEs
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has acquired 7.84 percent stake in the open public digital infrastructure framework entity, Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC), through an investment of Rs 10 crore.
- ONDC has been recently incorporated on December 30, 2021, with an objective to create a first of its kind open public digital infrastructure to develop and transform the Indian digital commerce ecosystem for both goods and services.
PV Sindhu wins Swiss Open badminton
Double Olympic medallist P.V. Sindhu made light work of Busanan Ongbamrungphan to win the Swiss Open Super 300 badminton tournament in Basel.
- Sindhu overcame Thailand’s Ongbamrungphan in straight games with a scoreline of 21-16, 21-8.
- This is the 2nd title for PV Sindhu in Basel, where she won her maiden World Championships title in 2019. This is also the 2nd title of the 2022 season for Sindhu after she won the Syed Modi India International in January.
- Meanwhile, India’s HS Prannoy missed out on a golden opportunity to end his title drought as he lost the men’s singles final in Basel.
Max Verstappen Wins Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022
Max Verstappen has won the Formula One 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix at Jeddah Corniche Circuit, Saudi Arabia. Charles Leclerc came second and Carlos Sainz Jr. came third.
- It was the second edition of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix and the second round of the 2022 Formula One World Championship. Lewis Hamilton managed to get a point on the board after coming 10th.
Lt. Gen. Vinod G. Khandare appointed Adviser in Defence Ministry
Lt.. Gen. Vinod G. Khandare (retd.) has been appointed as Adviser in the Ministry of Defence. He will work closely with the Defence Secretary, according to defence sources.
- The mandate of the role would be to give strategic inputs and advice on affairs relating to defence policy, preparedness and related activities, including international defence corporation and maritime security and defence space.
Wilfried Brutsaert aka ‘Mr Evaporation’ wins the Stockholm Water Prize 2022
The renowned hydrologist Wilfried Brutsaert, also known as Mr Evaporation, has been awarded the Stockholm Water Prize 2022 for his groundbreaking work to quantify environmental evaporation, helping to make accurate predictions of the impact that climate change has on local rainfall patterns and water sources.
- Wilfried Brutsaert is Professor in Engineering Emeritus at Cornell University, USA. His innovative works on Evaporation and Hydrology are of lasting theoretical and practical importance, particularly in view of climate change.
Oscars Awards 2022 announced
The 94th Academy Awards returned in a mega event, at Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. The star-studded event announced the biggest awards for the year where ‘CODA’ won Oscars 2022 for Best Picture while Oscars 2022 for Best Actor went to Will Smith for his marvelous performance in ‘King Richard’, a story of a father and coach of famed tennis players- Serena Williams and Venus Williams.
- Awards will be presented across 23 categories, which are determined based on voting by members of the Academy.
- This time, there are two new categories- Oscars Fan Favorite Award and Oscars Cheer Moment, which will be decided by fan voting, which was done online between February 14 and March 3, 2022.
List of winners:
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Will Smith, “King Richard”
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
- Best Picture: CODA
- Best International Feature Film: Drive My Car
- Documentary Short Subject: The Queen of Basketball
- Best Directing: Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)’
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Troy Kotsur (CODA)
- Best Makeup & Hairstyling: The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Best Cinematography: Dune
- Best Original Score: Hans Zimmer (Dune)
- Best Visual Effects: Dune
- Best Animated Feature Film: Encanto
- Best Animated Short Film: The Windshield Wiper
- Best Costume Design: Cruella
- Best Original Screenplay: Kenneth Branagh (Belfast)
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Sian Heder (Coda)
- Best Live Action Short Film: The Long Goodbye
- Best Sound: Dune
- Best Documentary Feature: “Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)”
- Best Original Song: “No Time To Die” from “No Time to Die,” music and lyric by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell
- Best Production Design: Dune
- Best Film Editing: Dune
Cochin International Airport Ltd bags Covid champion award at Wings India
The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) has bagged the ‘Covid champion’ award at Wings India 2022. which is Asia’s largest event on civil aviation jointly organised by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and FICCI at the Begumpet airport in Hyderabad.
- CIAL Managing Director S Suhas IAS received the ‘COVID champions’ trophy from Civil Aviation Minister, Jyotiraditya Scindia.
- The airport operator was selected for the successful implementation of a meticulous project named ‘Mission Safeguarding’ during the pandemic time to ensure safe travel at Kochi Airport, CIAL said