Daily Current Affairs 1 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indore’s Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar airport gets ‘international’ status
Indore’s Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar airport has been declared as an international airport.
- The airport, named after Maharani Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore, is considered as the busiest airport in Central India. It has been bestowed Worlds Standardization Certification by the United Kingdom.
US removes India, Switzerland from its currency monitoring list
The Trump administration removed India from its currency monitoring list of major trading partners, citing certain developments and steps being taken by New Delhi addressing some of its major concerns. Switzerland is the other nation that has been removed from the list. However, the list includes China, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam among others.
Sri Lanka to host ADB annual meeting in 2021
Sri Lanka will host the annual meeting of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Colombo in May 2021 and it will attract over 3,000 delegates.
- The 2019 ADB meeting was held in Fiji in May and the next meeting is scheduled to be held in South Korea in 2020.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India moves up to 43rd in competitiveness; Singapore tops chart
India has moved up one place to rank 43rd most competitive economy in the world on the back of its robust economic growth, a large labour force and its huge market size, while Singapore has toppled the US to grab the top position in the 2019 edition of the IMD World Competitiveness Rankings.
RBI sets up panel to develop secondary market for corporate loans
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) constituted a task force on development of secondary market for corporate loans.
- The six-member task force will have T. N. Manoharan, Chairman of Canara Bank, as its chairperson and will submit its report by the end of August 2019.
- The task force will be required to make recommondations on “required policy or regulatory interventions for facilitating development of secondary market in corporate loans, including loan transaction platform for stressed assets”.
RBI forms panel for housing finance securitisation market
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced the setting-up of a committee to work for the development of housing finance securitisation market in the country under the chairmanship of Harsh Vardhan, Senior Advisor with Bain & Co.
- The committee would review the existing state of mortgage-backed securitisation in India, including the current regulations, and would make specific recommendations on aligning the same with international norms.
Vodafone Idea Business Services ties up with CtrlS
Vodafone Idea Business Services (VIBS), the enterprise arm of telecom major Vodafone Idea, announced a strategic partnership with datacentre service provider CtrlS for information and communications technology (ICT) solutions, including cloud computing.
- The telecom service provider said that the partnership will help bring together a portfolio of innovative and differentiated products and services.
Naveen Patnaik takes oath as Odisha CM for fifth-consecutive term
Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Naveen Patnaik took oath for the fifth consecutive term as the Chief Minister of Odisha in the presence of Governor Ganeshi Lal.
- Many other BJD leaders who have been allotted portfolios in the ministry also took oath along with Patnaik at the swearing-in ceremony.
Pema Khandu sworn-in as AP Chief Minister
BJP leader Pema Khandu was sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. Khandu along with 11 other cabinet ministers were administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Brigadier (retd) B.D Mishra.
Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa receives baton of Chairman, COSC from Admiral Sunil Lanba
Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa received the baton of Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) from outgoing Chairman COSC and Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba.
- Dhanoa will be the Chairman COSC with effect from May 31, consequent to the relinquishment of charge by Admiral Sunil Lanba upon superannuation.
Flipkart’s Sandeep Patil joins Truecaller as India MD
Swedish caller identification app Truecaller has appointed former Flipkart executive Sandeep Patil as the Managing Director for its India operations.
- Patil will be part of the global management team effective May 28, which has over 100 million daily active users in India.
Nigerian President Buhari sworn in for second term
Muhammadu Buhari has been sworn in for a second term as Nigeria’s president, following a campaign that focused on tackling security threats and rooting out corruption.
Noted artist Benu Mishra passes away at 80 years
Assam’s noted artist and former senior art adviser and deputy director of state Directorate of Information and Public Relations, Benu Misra has passed away in Guwahati.
- Mishra was the founder president of Guwahati Artists’ Guild (formed in 1976) which is one of the most important platforms for aspiring artists in the State.
Click here to read Daily Current Affairs