Daily Current Affairs 29 October 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Young Advocates Welfare Fund launched in Tamil Nadu
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy has been launched the Young Advocates Welfare Fund.
- The Young Advocates Welfare Scheme is aimed at helping such fresh candidates to withstand the initial challenges.
- It provides a monthly financial assistance of three thousand rupees each for two years to the lawyers who just come out of law colleges.
Kerala becomes the first state to fix floor price for vegetables
Kerala became the first state to fix the floor price for vegetables, which would be 20 per cent above the production cost, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said.
- The scheme would come into effect from November 1.
- This was the first time the floor price was being fixed for 16 varieties of vegetables produced in Kerala.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI Inks Agreement with Japan Bank for $1 Billion Loan
State Bank of India said it has signed an agreement with Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) for a loan worth USD 1 billion (around Rs 7,403 crore).
- Of the total loan amount, USD 600 million will be financed by JBIC and USD 400 million by other participating banks – SMBC, MUFG Bank, Mizuho Bank, Shizuoka Bank and Bank of Yokahama.JBIC will provide a guarantee for the portion co-financed by the participating banks.
- The loan is intended to promote smooth flow of funds for the whole range of business operations of Japanese automobile manufacturers in India.
SVC Bank partners with NPCI to launch a digital rewards platform
SVC Bank (SVC Co-operative Bank Ltd.), one of the leading Co-operative Banks in the country, announced the launch of SVC Rewards Program.
- The Program is designed to make banking experience more rewarding for its customers in the form of Reward points earned upon use of SVC Bank Cards and digital solutions.
- To make the experience seamless, the Bank has tied up with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
BharatPe launches digital gold on its platform
Merchant payment platform BharatPe said it has introduced digital gold product on its platform for merchants in association with Safegold.
- Safegold is a digital platform that allows customers to buy, sell and take delivery of 24k physical gold, at low ticket sizes, around the clock.
- Merchants will get an entire gamut of financial products with the launch of digital gold on BharatPe.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Cochin Shipyard, Italy’s Fincantieri sign deal for business development
Cochin Shipyard Limited and Fincantieri of Italy have signed an agreement to cooperate in shipbuilding, repairs and training.
- The agreement between the two organisations sets the ground for a partnership aimed at business development and cooperation in line with Indian government’s plan to promote domestic manufacturing.
Infosys Says it Has Become Carbon Neutral
IT firm Infosys Ltd said it has turned carbon neutral thirty years ahead of th 2050 timeline set by the Paris Agreement.
- Over the past years, Infosys said it has reduced its per capita electricity consumption by over 55% with the ambition to transition to renewable energy.
- Infosys was also India’s first signatory to the RE100, a global initiative by companies committed to using 100% renewable energy.
Microsoft and NSDC collaborate to empower 1 lakh underserved young women across India with digital skills
Microsoft said it has collaborated with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to impart digital skills to more than one lakh underserved women in India over the next 10 months.
- As part of the collaboration, more than 70 hours of course content will be made available free of cost, covering topics such as digital literacy, enhancing employability, nano entrepreneurship, and communication skills.
- This initiative is an extension of Microsoft’s partnership with NSDC to provide digital skills to over 1 lakh youth in the country.
Rohit Sharma named brand ambassador of Dr Trust
Senior India cricketer Rohit Sharma was named brand ambassador of healthcare company Dr Trust.
- Dr Trust manufactures monitoring devices, which help in tracking vitals like blood pressure, blood oxygen levels, respiration rate, pulse rate and others.
Indian organisation wins UN award for efforts to combat climate change amid Covid pandemic
An Indian organisation that leverages tourism and technology to help remote communities access solar energy has won a prestigious UN award for its efforts to combat climate change amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The Global Himalayan Expedition (GHE) is among the winners of the 2020 UN Global Climate Action Award. GHE is one of the world’s first organisations using tourism and technology to bring solar energy to remote communities.
- The UN Global Climate Action Awards are spearheaded by the Momentum for Change initiative at UN Climate Change. The projects are recognised as innovative solutions that not only address climate change but also help drive progress on many other sustainable development goals.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Odisha CM launches web portals for student scholarships, inter-caste marriage incentives
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Odisha State Scholarship Portal’ and ‘Sumangal Portal’. The former portal is to help eligible students of the state to avail scholarship benefits in a seamless and transparent manner, while the latter one is to help people avail inter-caste marriage incentives.
- The new portal www.scholarship.odisha.gov.in (http://www.scholarship.odisha.gov.in) under the 5T initiative will benefit more than 11 lakh students.
- The new portal will manage the scholarship programmes of the ST and SC Development, Higher Education, School and Mass Education, Labour and ESI, Skill Development and Technical Education and Agriculture departments.
Daniel Menaker, award-winning author and editor, passes away
Daniel Menaker, an award-winning author of fiction and nonfiction and a longtime editor at The New Yorker and Random House who worked with Alice Munro, Salman Rushdie, Colum McCann and many others, has died at age 79.
- Daniel Menaker was the author of several books, including the memoir My Mistake and the comic psychological novel The Treatment, adapted into a 2007 movie starring Chris Eigeman and Ian Holm.
- He was also known for the O Henry Award-winning title story of his collection The Old Left.