Daily Current Affairs 29 September 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India registers significant decline in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR)
India has registered a significant decline in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR). According to the just released SRS bulletin, IMR of India has declined by three points (8% decline), from 37 per 1000 live births in 2015 to 34 per 1000 live births in 2016, compared to two points decline last year.
NITI Aayog to organise 8th Global Entrepreneurship Summit from Nov 28-30
NITI Aayog, in partnership with the US administration, will host the eighth annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Hyderabad on November 28-30.
- This is the first time the Global Entrepreneurship Summit is being held in South Asia.
- The theme for this year’s summit — Women First, Prosperity for All — will celebrate entrepreneurship in all its strength, diversity and entirety.
India to hold 14th India-EU Summit on Oct 6
India and the European Union will hold their 14th summit talks on October 6, during which both sides are expected to discuss a host of key issues, including ways to remove hurdles for the long-pending free trade agreement.
- President of the European Council, Donald Franciszek Tusk, and the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, will be on a visit to India from October 5-7 for the summit.
Bengaluru ranked world’s most affordable technology city
Bengaluru is the world’s most affordable technology hub, according to a study conducted by a realty consultancy firm.
- Among the top 29 global technology hubs covered by the study, Bengaluru emerged the cheapest in office rentals. Gurugram, another Indian city, comes second.
Amazon India launches ‘Amazon Business’ for SMBs
E-commerce major Amazon India has launched a new marketplace Amazon Business to cater to the requirements of the small and medium businesses (SMBs) in the country.
- The new marketplace is focussed on meeting the procurement needs of SMBs such as technology and service companies, manufacturers, universities, schools and offices
Indian Internet firms, led by Flipkart’s Sachin Bansal, create lobby group
India’s top Internet companies led by Flipkart have created a lobby group called Indiatech.org that will represent the interests of Indian Internet start-ups to fight their international rivals. The lobby group will represent the interests of local companies such as Flipkart, Ola, Hike and others.
BANKING & ECONOMY
ADB approves USD 80 mn loan for modernisation of TVET in HP
Multilateral lending agency ADB (Asian Development Bank) has approved a loan of USD 80 million (about Rs 524 crore) for modernisation of Himachal Pradesh’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) institutions.
- The total cost of the project is USD 100 million, with the Centre contributing USD 20 million. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.
India Ratings slashes GDP growth estimate to 6.7%
According to India Ratings, India’s GDP growth estimate for the ongoing financial year 2017-18 is likely to come down to 6.7 per cent from 7.4 per cent earlier as “the combined effect of demonetisation and introduction of goods and services tax (GST) is proving to be more disruptive for the economy than was expected earlier”.
For the First Time, Five Indian Shuttlers in Top-20 of BWF Men’s Rankings
For the first time, Five Indians are in the top-20 of the BWF men’s singles rankings with H S Prannoy being the biggest gainer after his quarterfinal showing at the Japan Open. Prannoy has jumped four places to be world no.15.
- The 5 Indian Shuttlers in the top 20 BWF men’s singles rankings are – Kidambi Srikanth (8th), HS Prannoy (15th), B Sai Praneeth (17th), Sameer Verma (19th), Ajay Jayaram (20th)
Palestine and the Solomon Islands become INTERPOL member countries
The INTERPOL General Assembly has voted to admit the State of Palestine and the Solomon Islands as new member countries. The membership of the world policing body now totals 192.
- The International Police Organization more commonly known as INTERPOL, is an intergovernmental organization facilitating international police cooperation.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Gujarat Tourism bags the ‘Hall of Fame’ national tourism award
Gujarat Tourism has won the “Hall of Fame” award for being the Best State in Comprehensive Development of Tourism category at the National Tourism Awards function organised by Ministry of Tourism.
Madhya Pradesh bags ‘Best Tourism State’ award for third time in a row
Madhya Pradesh has won the ‘Best Tourism State’ national award for the third consecutive year. The state bagged total 10 awards in this programme, organised on the occasion of World Tourism Day.
IPS Officer Aparna Kumar becomes the first Indian woman to scale Mt Manaslu
An Indian Police Service (IPS) Officer of Uttar Pradesh Cadre, Aparna Kumar has become the first Indian woman to scale Mount Manaslu, which is the eighth highest mountain peak in the world.
Former Speaker and sitting MLA Kiyanilie Peseyie passes away
Former Speaker of the Nagaland Assembly and sitting MLA Kiyanilie Peseyie has passed away.