Daily Current Affairs 29 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
MUI collaborates with UN body to help Indian seafarers stranded on ships
Against the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic leaving around four lakh global seafarers, including thousands of Indians, stranded on ships, India”s oldest union of merchant navy officers MUI has collaborated with the United Nations to assist these sailors.
- Apart from providing assistance to the Indian seafarers under IMO’s SCAT mechanism, MUI will also closely liaise with the Ministry of Shipping of India and Indian embassies and consulates across the globe for offering assistance to Indian seafarers during difficult times.
World’s longest span concrete deck extra-dosed cable stayed bridge inaugurated in Hyderabad
Union MoS for Home G Kishan Reddy and Minister of Municipal Administration and Urban Development KT Rama Rao inaugurated the World’s longest span concrete deck extra-dosed cable-stayed bridge at Durgam Cheruvu of Hyderabad.
- The bridge was constructed at the cost of Rs 184 crore and it was built by Larsen & Toubro.
- The cable-stayed bridge portion is 435 m long, including the approaches at both ends, 25.8 m wide with a total of 52 stay cables.
Home Ministry sanctions three new NIA branches at Imphal, Chennai, Ranchi
Union Home Ministry has sanctioned three new NIA branches at Imphal, Chennai and Ranchi
- The opening of new branches will help in ensuring quick response to any emergent situation in the concerned states by the premier anti-terror investigation agency.
- Currently, the NIA has nine branches besides specialized units at Headquarters, New Delhi.
Maharashtra Govt to Set up Music College in Name of Lata Mangeshkar’s Father
Maharashtra Minister Uday Samant announced that a world-class government music college will be set up in the name of renowned musician the late Deenanath Mangeshkar.
- He made the announcement on the occasion of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar’s birthday and termed it as a gift to her by the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government.
India signs MoU with Denmark on Intellectual Property cooperation
To further the objectives of National IPR Policy and become a major player in global innovation, India entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Denmark in the field of Intellectual Property (IP) Cooperation.
- The MoU aims at increasing IP co-operation between the two countries by way of exchange of best practices, experiences and knowledge on IP awareness among public, authorities, businesses and research and educational institutions of both countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank Launches India’s first Warehouse Commodity Finance App
Private lender HDFC Bank launched India’s first Warehouse Commodity Finance App.
- This app will enable customers in managing the loan against pledge of commodities online without any physical intervention or visits to Bank branch.
- This in turn will enhance efficiencies for the Agri value chain.
RBI approves 3-member committee of directors to manage Lakshmi Vilas Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved a three-member committee of directors to run the day-to-day functioning of cash-strapped Lakshmi Vilas Bank.
- The committee chairperson is Meeta Makhan with Shakti Sinha and Satish Kumar Kalra as members. All three are independent directors.
RBI Extends Enhanced Borrowing Limit for Banks Under MSF Till March 31
Amid the ongoing economic woes created by the coronavirus pandemic, the Reserve Bank has decided to extend by six months the enhanced borrowing facility provided to banks to meet liquidity shortage till March 31, 2021.
- The RBI, as a temporary measure, had increased the borrowing limit for scheduled banks under the marginal standing facility (MSF) scheme from 2 per cent to 3 per cent of their Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL) with effect from March 27, 2020.
- The facility, which was initially available up to June 30, 2020 was later extended up to September 30, 2020 in view of the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ICRA revises India’s GDP contraction to 11% from 9.5% for FY21
Ratings agency ICRA revised downwards its forecast for the contraction in the gross domestic product (GDP) for 2020-21 to 11% from 9.5% earlier with fresh Covid-19 infections remaining elevated at the end of the second quarter of the year.
- However, it retained its earlier forecast of a 12.4% contraction in GDP in the second quarter.
- The agency revised its projections for GDP to decline 5.4% from 2.3% earlier for the third quarter and 2.5% in the fourth quarter.
NCAER projects Indian economy to contract 12.6% in FY21
The National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) has projected the GDP growth for the Indian economy at -12.6% for 2020-21 (FY21).
- For 2020-21 (FY21) with the remaining three quarters expected to witness a fall.
- For 2021-22, NCAER projects the GDP of India to grow by 7%.
Quane named Prime Minister of Mali
Former Malian foreign minister Moctar Ouane has been named prime minister of Mali by the country’s interim president Bah Ndaw.
- Ouane, 64, served as foreign minister between 2004 and 2011 during Amadou Toumani Toure’s presidency.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister designate Mustafa Adib resigns
Lebanon’s prime minister-designate Mustapha Adib has announced his resignation after his efforts to line up a non-partisan cabinet ran into trouble, particularly over who would run the finance ministry.
- Adib, a former ambassador to Berlin, was picked on August 31 to form a cabinet after the last government led by Hassan Diab resigned following the Beirut port blast on August 4 that killed some 200 people and left thousands homeless.
KVIC appoints design and fashion icon Sunil Sethi as Advisor
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has appointed Shri Sunil Sethi, a leading personality in the Indian fashion industry, as its advisor.
- Sethi’s appointment is for a period of one year. Earlier, renowned fashion designer Ritu Beri served as advisor to KVIC whose term expired recently.
Senior IAS PD Vaghela appointed as new TRAI chairman
Senior Indian Administrative Service Officer Dr P. D. Vaghela has been appointed as the Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India- TRAI.
- He will replace R.S. Sharma. Mr Vaghela will hold the post for a period of three years or until he attains the age of 65 years.
Usha Mangeshkar gets Lata Mangeshkar award
Maharashtra government announced the Lata Mangeshkar Award for 2020-21 to veteran singer Usha Mangeshkar.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs five lakh and a citation.
- The award has been constituted for the felicitation of senior vocal artistes and their contribution.
Eminent Critic, Writer Dr G S Amur passes away
Veteran critic and versatile writer Dr G S Amur died due to age-related ailments. He was 95.
- The litterateur, known for his proficiency in both Kannada and English, was a recipient of several prestigious honours, including the Sahitya Akademi Award, Rajyotsava Award and Bharatiya Bhasha Award.
- His much-acclaimed books in Kannada include ‘Are Kannada Kadambariya Belavanige’, ‘Arthaloka’, ‘Vyavasaya’ and ‘Kaadambariya Swaroopa’. Amur’s English works included ‘Forbidden Fruit, Views on Indo-Anglian Fiction’ and ‘Colonial Consciousness in Commonwealth Literature’.
World Deaf Day
World deaf day or the international day of sign languages is celebrated every year on the last Sunday of September as a part of International Week of the Deaf. This year World deaf day is observed on 27th September.
- The purpose of International Day of the Deaf to promote better and healthy life, respectability, self esteem, education and work for the deaf.
- The theme of the 2020 International Week of the Deaf is “Reaffirming Deaf People’s Human Rights”
World Heart Day
World Heart Day is annually observed on September 29 around the globe in an effort to raise public awareness about cardiovascular diseases, their prevention and global impact.
- The theme for this year’s World Heart Day is “Use Heart To Beat Cardiovascular Disease“.
International Day of Awareness on Food Loss and Waste Reduction
The first ever observance of the International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste on 29 September.
- The theme for International Day of Awareness on Food Loss and Waste Reduction 2020 is “Stop food loss and waste. For the people. For the planet.”