Daily Current Affairs 29th June 2017
RBI to remain open on July 1 to facilitate transactions
RBI follows a July to June accounting year and June 30 being the closing date of the year, the office generally remains closed on July 1 every year.
- Reserve Bank will remain open on July 1 for services such as transfer of funds through NEFT and RTGS from 11 AM onwards.
Printing of Rs 200 currency notes begins
RBI has begun printing bills of 200 rupees for the first time to help ease consumer transactions.
- New 200 notes will carry advanced security features to prevent counterfeiting.
ICICI Bank-led consortium concludes largest asset resolution
ICICI Bank led consortium has concluded the largest asset resolution with the sale process of the cement business of Jaiprakash Associates and Jaypee Cement to UltraTech Cement valued at Rs 16,189 crore.
- This is the largest asset resolution in the country so far.
GST transition: YES Bank launches tailor-made programme for MSMEs
To prepare micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) for migration to the new goods and service tax (GST) system, YES Bank along with Yes Global Institute has launched a tailor-made programme for MSMEs.
- The bank has set up a dedicated phone number for MSMEs to address their queries on GST.
- The bank has also introduced Yes GST Learning Series for their 20,000 plus employees, to induct them into the transformational tax regime the country is about to undergo
War room set up to deal with GST crises
A “mini war room” has been set up in the finance ministry to deal with crises related to the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax.
- It will act as a quick resource centre for Central and State government officials to address their queries on GST.
Dr Jitendra Singh launches new training programme ‘COMMIT’ for State Government officials
Dr. Jitendra Singh has launched a new training programme Comprehensive Online Modified Modules on Induction Training (COMMIT) for State Government officials.
- The objective of this training programme is to improve the public service delivery mechanism and provide citizen centric administration through capacity building of officials who interact with the citizens on day-to-day basis.
Andhra CM Chandrababu Naidu awards Rs. 50 lakh, plot to Kidambi Srikanth
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu has awarded ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth Rs. 50 lakh and a 1000 square yard plot in Amaravati region after he won the two titles in two successive weeks.
- Recently he won Indonesian Open Series and Australian Open Series and made the entire nation proud.
India contributes $100K to UN Tax Fund
India has contributed $100,000 to a UN fund to promote the participation of developing countries in a panel dealing with international cooperation in tax matters.
- In April, India gave $250,000 to UN programmes for helping countries hold elections and develop their electoral systems.
India top health sector provider to UN
According to a report by the United Nations, India, which plays the role of the world’s pharmacy by producing affordable drugs, was the top supplier in the health sector to the UN system last year with total sales of nearly $804 million in pharmaceuticals and medical services.
French rocket Ariane-5 launches India’s communication satellite GSAT-17
India’s communication satellite GSAT-17 was launched by French rocket Ariane-5 from Kourou, French Guiana by Ariane-5 VA-238.
- The satellite weighing 3477 kg at lift-off carries Payloads in Normal C-band, Extended C-band and S-band to provide various communication services.
Preity Zinta launches emergency response service – Kavach Safety, for women
Actor Preity Zinta who is also a women’s right activist has launched a new service for women’s safety. Launched in association with Anthony Moorhouse, ex Special Forces Australia, her service called the Kavach Safety is a “pro victim – anti perpetrator” emergency response service that assures safety at the press of a button.
TS Vineeth Bhatt conferred with the ‘best astrologer of world’ award
Hyderabad -based astrologer and numerologist TS Vineeth Bhatt has been conferred with the ‘Best astrologer of the world’ award at the ‘Russian-Indian economic dialogue’ round-table meet held in Moscow.
Adi Godrej, Andrew Liveris bag USIBC Global Leadership Awards
Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej and Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveries have been awarded the Global Leadership Awards of the US-India Business Council (USIBC) for their role in integrating India in the global supply chain.
- Both are honored for creating inclusive business environments, integrating India in the global supply chain and advancing core values such as manufacturing, innovation and scale in tough market conditions.
Oxford poet honoured by Indian President for Hindi works
Dr Padmesh Gupta, an Oxford poet has been honoured with a national award by the Indian Government for promoting Hindi literature abroad.
- It recognises his commitment to promoting and propagating his native Hindi with poetry he has published.
Singer Sabita Chowdhury passes away
Eminent singer Sabita Chowdhury, widow of legendary composer Salil Chowdhury has passed away.
National Statistics Day: 29 June
The National Statistics Day is observed every year on June 29 to mark the birth anniversary of renowned statistician Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis.