Daily Current Affairs 3 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind inaugurates Kanha Santi Vanam in Telangana’s Ranga Reddy district
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the new global headquarters of Kanha Santi Vanam of the Ram Chanda mission in Ranga Reddy district of Telangana.
- The global community of the Ram Chandra Mission will contribute towards making the planet earth a better place and transforming humanity into a better community.
All railway tracks to be electrified by 2023, 150 pvt trains planned: Finance Ministry
The Union Ministry of Finance announced that 58 per cent of the Railway tracks across the country have been electrified while the remaining will be electrified by the year 2023.
- In a series of tweets, the Ministry of Finance said that 150 trains will be run by the private sector under public-private partnership (PPP) arrangement.
Maharashtra Govt orders ban on alcohol consumption at forts
Maharashtra Home Department has issued a government resolution (GR) banning the consumption of alcohol at ancient forts in the state.
- As per the GR, first-time offenders could incur a fine of Rs 10,000 and six months imprisonment under section 85 of the Maharashtra Ban on Liquor Act 1949, on violation of the order. Whereas second-time offenders are liable to face imprisonment of one year and a fine of Rs 10,000.
Govt pegs UIDAI’s allocation at Rs 985 cr for FY21
The government has raised fund allocation for the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) by 17 per cent to Rs 985 crore for the next fiscal starting April 1.
- In the current fiscal, the UIDAI was originally allocated Rs 1,227 crore when the Modi-2.0 government presented the Union Budget on July 5 last year
Madhya Pradesh wins award for implementation of PMMVY
Madhya Pradesh has bagged the first position for the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana. Union Minister of Women and Child Development Smriti Iran present this award to Madhya Pradesh at a function in New Delhi.
- Indore district has also bagged the first place for better performance of the scheme
Bangladesh’s PM Sheikh Hasina inaugurates “Ekushey Book Fair”
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh on Sunday inaugurated the month long Ekushey Book fair at the Bangla Academy premises in Dhaka.
- The Prime Minister presented the Bangla Academy literary award 2019 to ten eminent poets and writers on this occasion.
- She also unveiled the cover of a book ‘Amar Dekha Naya Chin’- The New China as I saw, written by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt clarifies on new definition of NRI under Finance Bill 2020
The government issued a clarification on the new definition of NRI, stating that “in case of an Indian citizen, who becomes deemed resident of India under this proposed provision (Finance Bill 2020) shall not be taxed in the country unless it is derived from an Indian business or profession.”
- The new provision is not intended to include in tax net those Indian citizens who are bonafide workers in other countries
Novak Djokovic lifts 8th Australian Open title, defeats Thiem in five-set battle
The Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic defeated Austria’s Dominic Thiem in a five-set thriller to win his eighth Australian Open title at Rod Laver Arena.
- With this, Djokovic reclaim the world number one ranking.
- Sofia Kenin Defeats Garbine Muguruza to Win 2020 Australian Open Women’s Final. Sofia Kenin won her first Grand Slam title.
SSB win Hockey India Senior Women National Championship
Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) emerged victorious in the final of 10th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2020 (B Division) defeating Steel Plant Sports Board (SPSB) 3-1 in a shootout after the scores were level at 1-1 after regulation time.
Anktia Raina wins ITF singles title in Nonthabari, Thailand
India’s best woman singles player Ankita Raina won her first ITF singles title of the season and 10th of her career when she beat Chloe Paquet in the summit clash of the USD 25000 event in Nonthaburi, Thailand.
- She has also won the doubles title with Dutch partner Bibiane Schoofs.
Harmeet becomes National TT champion, Sutirtha wins her second crown
Sixth-seed Harmeet Desai defeated fourth-seed Manav Thakkar 4-3 in the men’s singles final to claim his maiden title at the 81st National Table Tennis Championships.
- Haryana’s Sutirtha Mukherjee claimed her second National crown, beating PSPB’s Krittwika Sinha Roy, a three-time finalist, 4-0 in the women’s singles final
- Jubin Kumar/Soumyajit Ghosh (Har) beat Manush Shah/Ishaan Hingorani (Guj) to win men’s double title
- Sutirtha Mukherjee/Riti Shankar (Har) beat Surbhi Patwari/Poymantee Baisya (Ben A) to win women’s double title
- Ronit Bhanja/Mousumi Paul (Ben A) beat Sourav Saha/Sutirtha Mukherjee (Har) to win mixed doubles title.
73rd British Academy Film Awards
The British Academy of Film and Television Awards (BAFTA) ceremony was held at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Britain, February 2, 2020.
- ‘1917‘ the Sam Mendes’ World War I epic dominated the BAFTA awards on Sunday night. The film received seven awards including the best film, best director and best cinematography at the Royal Albert Hall.
Winner list of BAFTA 2020:
Best Actor:Joaquin Phoenix: Joker
Best Actress:Renee Zellweger: Judy
Best Film:1917: Sam Mendes
Best Director:Sam Mendes: 1917
Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Best Outstanding British Film:1917: Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, Krysty Wilson-Cairns
Best Adapted Screenplay:Taika Waititi: Jojo Rabbit
Original Screenplay:Parasite: Han Jin Won, Bong Joon-ho
Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: Mark Jenkin, Kate Byers, Linn Waite: Bait
Animated Film:Klaus: Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh
Documentary:For Sama: Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
Vinod Shukla bags first Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award
Noted Hindi poet-novelist and Sahitya Akademi honouree Vinod Kumar Shukla has bagged the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue“.
- The stories in “Blue Is Like Blue”, translated into English by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra and Sara Rai, deal with common people and their daily struggles
Waheeda Rehman to be conferred MP govt’s Kishore Kumar Samman
Noted yesteryear actor Waheeda Rehman will be conferred the Madhya Pradesh government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman in Bhopal.
- The award, which carries a Rs 2 lakh cash prize and citation.
Odia poet Rabi Singh passed away
Eminent Odia poet Rabi Singh died following a prolonged illness at his residence in Khapuria in Cuttack.He was 89.
- Popularly known as “Biplabi Kabi” (revolutionary poet) for his patriotic writings, Singh had raised his voice through his creations against degenerating values in the society.