Daily Current Affairs 3 January 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Indian Railways announces integrated helpline number 139 for passengers
To overcome the inconvenience over multiple helpline numbers for grievances and enquiry during railway travel, Indian Railways has integrated railway helplines into single number 139 for the passengers for quick grievance redressal and enquiry during their journey.
- As the new helpline number 139 will take over all the existing helpline numbers (except 182), it will be easy for the passengers to remember this number and connect with Railways for all their needs during the travel
- The helpline 139 will be available in twelve languages. It will be based on the IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System).
Swachh Survekshan League 2020: Indore tops the chart, adjudged cleanest city Of India for the fourth time in a row
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), announced the results of the first and second quarter of Swachh Survekshan League 2020. Keeping up with its title, Indore grabbed the title of India’s cleanest city for the fourth consecutive year.
- In the first quarter (April – June 2019), under the category of cities having a population of over 10 lakh, Indore held the first position followed by Bhopal and Surat.
- Whereas, in the second quarter, of the Swachh Survekshan League 2020 Indore, Rajkot and Navi Mumbai topped the charts.
Kerala becomes first state to pass resolution against Citizenship Law
Kerala has became the first state to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act amid widespread protests across the country. The resolution, which was moved by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and asks the centre to revoke the new citizenship law, was supported by leaders across party lines.
- However, Kerala is now the first state to go down the legislature route to register its opposition.
UPSRTC launched ‘Damini’ helpline service for women in UP
UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has launched ‘Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers. As the extension of ‘Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline. Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.
Andhra Pradesh Govt. appoints two ‘Disha Special Officers’
The Andhra Pradesh government-appointed Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika, as Special Officers for implementing the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act 2019.
The Act is intended for speedy trial and faster execution in cases of sexual offences against women in the state.
To ensure a speedy trial, the state will set up exclusive special courts in all the 13 districts to deal with cases of offences against women and children including rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, social media harassment of women, sexual harassment and all cases under POCSO Act.
‘Lai Haraoba’ ritualistic festival begins in Tripura
Lai Haraoba, a ritualistic festival observed by Manipuri meitei communities since ancient times, has begun in Agartala in Tripura.
- The festival aims to uphold tradition and cultural values of Meitei community. Lai Haraoba is celebrated through oral literature, music, dance and rituals.
107th Indian Science Congress begins in Bengaluru
India’s largest annual gathering of scientific luminaries from countries across the world, the 107th session of Indian Science Congress, was inaugurated by PM Modi in Bangalore, Karnataka focusing on ‘Science & Technology: Rural Development’.
- The Congress is a major focal point for scientists, researchers and academicians interested in various aspects of science discoveries and technologies. The five-day long event aims to bring together science fraternity across the world to discuss scientific innovation and research.
Pokhriyal inaugurates 28th edition of World Book Fair
Human Resources Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal inaugurated the 28th edition of annual New Delhi World Book Fair at Pragati Maidan.
- The book fair organised by National Book Trust (NBT) will be held from January 4 to 12 in the national capital. Eminent Gandhian scholar Girishwar Mishra was be the chief guest on the occasion.
- The theme for World Book Fair 2020 is ‘Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer.
ISRO will set up launch port for small satellite launch vehicles
The ISRO Chairman announced that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will establish a 2nd launch port in Thoothukodi district in Tamil Nadu.
- This launch port will be used exclusively to launch small satellite launch vehicles. The launch port will be established in 2300 acres. He announced that the process of Astronaut selection is over for India’s 1st manned mission to outer space i.e. “Gaganyaan” to be launched by 2022.
Palau becomes 1st nation to ban ‘reef toxic’ sun cream
The Pacific nation of Palau has become the first country to ban sun cream which is harmful to corals and sea life. The ban prohibits sun cream containing any of the 10 ingredients which includes oxybenzone and octinoxate, that absorbs ultraviolet light.
- A lagoon in Palau’s Rock Islands is a Unesco World Heritage site. Palau is renowned for its marine life and is regarded as one of the world’s best diving destinations.
Sunita Lakra announces retirement from international hockey
Indian women’s hockey team defender Sunita Lakra has announced her retirement from international hockey. The 28-year-old defender has been a vital member of the Indian squad since 2008. She represented the country in the last Olympics.
Lawn bowls & Cycling to be included in 3rd Khelo India Games
Avinash Joshi, Chief Executive Officer of “Khelo India Games” has announced that “Lawn bowls” and “cycling” will be included in the 3rd edition of Khelo India Games. The two games will be included in the event for the first time. The 3rd edition of the tournament will be held in Guwahati, Assam in January 2020. Athletes from all over the country will be coming to Guwahati for the Khelo India Youth Games.
National Ice Hockey Championship-2020 begins in Leh
The 5th Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) National Ice Hockey Championship -2020 has begun in Leh, Ladakh. The tournament will continue till 7th January in Karzoo Ice Hockey Rink in Leh.
Deputy Election Commissioner Umesh Sinha gets extension
Umesh Sinha, Deputy Election Commissioner in the Election Commission of India has been given a one-year extension by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the re-employment Mr. Sinha on a contract basis for one year with effect from January 1, 2020, and up to December 31, 2020.
Govt appoints AIIMS’ Prof Suresh Chandra Sharma as chairman of National Medical Commission
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has appointed Suresh Chandra Sharma as the chairman of National Medical Commission (NMC).
- Sharma is the professor and head of ENT head-neck surgery department at AIIMS in New Delhi.
LVB’s CFO S Sundar takes over interim Managing Director & CEO
Lakshmi Vilas Bank’s (LVB’s) Chief Financial Officer S Sundar took over as interim Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the troubled private sector lender.
- He will hold the charge till April 30 or till a regular Managing Director and CEO takes over, the bank said.
Umaro Cissoko Embalo wins Guinea-Bissau presidential election
Umaro Cissoko Embalo has won the Guinea-Bissau‘s presidential election. He will replace the incumbent President Jose Mario Vaz.
Telangana’s Poorna becomes first tribal in world to scale 6 mountain peaks in 6 continents
In a major feat of mountaineering, 18-year-old Malvath Poorna from Telangana scaled Mt Vinson Massif, the highest mountain peak in Antarctica. Mt Vinson Massif is 4,987 metres above sea level.
- With this, Poorna has become the first and youngest tribal woman in the world to set foot on six tallest mountain peaks in six continents. Poorna now aims to become the first and youngest tribal woman to scale the seven tallest summits located in seven continents.
Noted Assamese theatre personality Ratna Ojha passes away
Eminent Assamese dramatist, litterateur and social activist Ratna Ojha has passed away due to old age-related ailments. He was 88.
Nagaland Assembly Speaker Vikho-o Yhoshu passes away
The Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leader and Nagaland Assembly Speaker Vikho-o Yhoshu has passed away.