Daily Current Affairs 3 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Modi lays foundation stone of Light House Projects
PM Modi laid the foundation stone of six LHPs under the Global Housing Technology Challenge-India (GHTC-India). Modi said that the Light House Projects being executed with modern technologies in six states will show a new direction to the housing construction sector in the country and further strengthen cooperative federalism.
- The six states are Tripura, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.
- The programme seeks to build over 1,000 houses each in six cities in 12 months.
Post Office Savings Bank to be interconnected with other banks by April
India Post expects to make the Post Office Savings Bank interoperable with other bank accounts by April and will focus on enhancing digitisation of all services in 2021. The postal department during the lockdown was at the frontline to deliver essential parcels when rail, road and air traffic were grounded and continues to enhance capacity as trains are not fully operational yet.
- All POSB accounts can be linked to the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) accounts and can be operated through mobile app DakPay.
- The Post Office Core Banking Solution (CBS) system is the largest in the world with 23,483 post offices already on this network.
Australia changes word in anthem to honour Indigenous people, reflect unity
Australia has changed one word in its national anthem to reflect what the prime minister called the spirit of unity and the country’s Indigenous population.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison on New Years Eve announced that the second line of the anthem, Advance Australia Fair, has been changed from “For we are young and free” to “For we are one and free.”
BANKING & FINANCE
RuPay partners with RBL Bank to launch ‘RuPay PoS’
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) announced that RuPay has partnered with RBL Bank to launch an innovative payment solution for Indian merchants – RuPay PoS in association with PayNearby.
- The RuPay PoS will transform smartphones into merchant Point of Sale (PoS) terminals for the retailers. Merchants will now be able to accept contactless payments of up to ₹5,000 through a simple tap and pay mechanism on his NFC enabled mobile phones.
Goa’s 14-year-old Leon Mendonca becomes India’s 67th Grandmaster
Goa’s 14-year-old Leon Mendonca has become India’s 67th chess Grandmaster by winning the third and final norm at a tournament in Italy. Mendonca, who achieved the feat at 14 years, 9 months and 17 days, is the second GM from the coastal state.
Umesh Sinha appointed Dy Election Commissioner
Umesh Sinha has been appointed as the deputy election commissioner in the Election Commission of India. Sinha, a 1986-batch IAS officer (retired) of the Uttar Pradesh cadre, is at present the secretary-general in the commission.
Kerala Governor releases book on Sabarimala
Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan released ”Sabarimala Vijnaanakosham,” a book written by KS Vijayanath. The Governor also presented a Limca Book of World Records certificate to Swami Maheswaranandu for erecting a 111 feet Shiv Linga sthoopa at the Shiva Paravarthy temple premises at Chenkal in Thiruvananthapuram.
A book titled “Vahana Masterclass” launched by Italian Writer Alfredo Covelli
Alfredo Covelli, an Italy based author has launched his new book Vahana Masterclass for children and Young Audience. The books will be illustrated and published by Scholastic India. Alfredo had a keen interest in our Indian culture and mythology which inspired him to write a story on Lord Ganesh for children.