Daily Current Affairs 3 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Rajnath Singh visits Siachen Glacier to review security situation
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visited Siachen Glacier and reviewed the security situation along the borders with Pakistan. The Defence Minister was accompanied by Army Chief General Bipin Rawat.
- The Siachen Glacier in the Karakorum range is known as the highest militarised zone in the world where the soldiers have to battle frostbite and high winds. The Defense Minister also paid tribute to the martyred soldiers who sacrificed their lives while serving in Siachen.
Govt responds to U.S. decision to withdraw India’s GSP benefits
Government has responded to the decision by the United States of America to withdraw India’s GSP benefits with effect from 5th June 2019. In a press statement, Commerce Ministry said that these are unilateral, non-reciprocal and non-discriminatory benefits extended by some developed countries to developing countries.
- It said that India had offered resolution on significant US requests in an effort to find a mutually acceptable way forward.
14th Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit held in Mecca
The 14th summit of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) held in Mecca, Saudi Arabia was hosted by Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud. The official agenda of the meeting was to address current issues in the Muslim world and recent developments in a number of OIC member states.
- OIC holds an Islamic Summit once every three years at which heads of state discuss ways to achieve OIC’s charter’s objectives and make policy decisions that concern its member states.
- Extra info.:
OIC Headquarters: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) meets in Bangkok
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue also known as Quad is an informal strategic grouping consisting of India, US, Australia and Japan recently met in Bangkok in Thailand. The meet in Bangkok was attended by senior officials of Quad (India, US, Japan and Australia).
- At the meet countries held consultations on their collective efforts for a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
Mexico-U.S. talk in Washington on US tariff threat
In an effort to defuse rising trade tensions between the United States and Mexico, Mexican Economy Minister Graciela Marquez met with US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in Washington.
- US President Donald Trump has threatened to slap a 5 per cent tariff on all Mexican goods starting June 10 if the country fails to stem the flow of migrants and drugs into the US, and gradually raise that tariff to 25 per cent if he remains unsatisfied with the results.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ONGC overtakes India Oil Corp as Most Profitable PSU
ONGC, India’s top oil and gas producer, has toppled Indian Oil Corp (IOC) to regain crown of being the country’s most profitable public sector company.
- In fiscal year 2018-19, ONGC’s net profits increased by 34% to Rs.26,716 crore in comparison to it IOC registered a net profit of Rs.17,274 crore for fiscal year ended March 31, 2019.
- Extra info.:
ONGC Headquarters: Vasant Kunj, Delhi
Air India Express witnesses 100 pc load factor on int’l flights in May
Air India Express, India’s first international budget airline created a unique record which is a dream for any airline in the world. The airline recorded a perfect 100% load factor on its international flights into Indian destinations as all seats on all of its flights into India were sold and not even a single seat was vacant.
- The airline’s overall performance in May was truly commendable as it scored a double hat trick of 99% load factor on 6 days of May.
Liverpool wins UEFA Champions League Trophy, beats Tottenham Hotspur 2-0
Liverpool’s 2-0 victory is the sixth time it has won the European title in the club’s history. An early goal from Mohamed Salah and a late one from Divock Origi gave Liverpool a 2-0 win.
- Liverpool erased the disappointment of last season’s Champions League final loss by claiming the trophy for the sixth time with victory over Tottenham in Madrid.
Ajit Doval to continue as India’s National Security Advisor
Ajit Doval will continue as National Security Advisor. Centre has confirmed the development. This is seen as a recognition of his contribution in the national security domain. His appointment will be for five years.
- Last year, the government has set up a panel, headed by NSA Ajit Doval, to assist the National Security Council, which advises the prime minister on matters of national security and strategic interests.
Sonia Gandhi re-elected as Congress Parliamentary Party leader
Chairperson of Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi has once again been elected leader of the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) at a meeting of party MPs at the Central Hall of Parliament.
- The meeting was attended by the party’s 52 newly elected Lok Sabha MPs and Rajya Sabha members. Sonia Gandhi’s name was proposed by former prime minister Manmohan Singh.