Daily Current Affairs 3 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Amit Shah inaugurates NSG Regional Hub campus at Kolkata
Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit inaugurated the National Security Guard (NSG) Regional Hub campus at Kolkata, West Bengal.It aims to provide adequate facilities to the brave NSG jawans
- It has become a model regional hub of the NSG, which will help in honing the professional acumen of the NSG commandos. It will contribute significantly to the capacity building of the first responders, the Police forces of the States
MoU was signed between Indian Air Force and Savitribai Phule Pune University to establish a ‘Chair of Excellence’
The Indian Air Force (IAF) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Savitribai Phule Pune University on academic grounds.
- As a unique initiative taken by the Indian Air Force (IAF), this academic collaboration has taken place between the two parties to establish a ‘Chair of Excellence’ at Department of Defence and Strategic Studies
ICAR signs MoU with Haridwar-based Patanjali for farm research, training
The country’s premier agri-research body ICAR signed an agreement with Hardiwar-based Patanjali Bio Research Institute (PBRI) to undertake research work as well as training and education.
- Under the MoU, the ICAR and PBRI will collaborate in mutually identified areas of training and education where the Post Graduate students of Deemed Universities & Research Institutes of ICAR may undertake internships in various areas of specialization with PBRI.
“Ekam Fest” begins to promote Craftsmanship of Divyang Artisans
A week-long Ekam Fest began in New Delhi to promote craftsmanship and products of Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs.
- Around 80 Divyang entrepreneurs, artisans and organizations from 18 States and Union Territories are displaying products and various crafts.
Antar Rashtriya Yog Mahotsav begins in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
An international yoga festival Antar Rashtriya Yog Mahotsav began in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand with yoga teachers and practitioners from eleven countries taking part in the week-long event.
Arunachal Pradesh assembly implements e-Vidhan project
The Arunachal Pradesh Assembly went paperless with the implementation of e-Vidhan, a project under the Digital India programme.
- With the implementation of the e-Vidhan project, MLAs can access every information regarding the Assembly, see the list of business and read questions and other documents pertaining to House proceedings through their laptops and tablet computers.
China takes presidency of UN Security Council for March 2020
China has taken over as president of the UN Security Council for the month of March 2020, pledging to promote solidarity and cooperation in this capacity.
- China will make an effort to strengthen solidarity and cooperation with all parties to ensure that the council fulfills its responsibility and plays a constructive role in maintaining international peace and security.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB to provide $4 million to member countries to contain coronavirus outbreak
Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide a total of USD 4 million (about ₹29 crore) to help developing countries in Asia and Pacific to fight the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The funds will be available for all ADB developing member countries in updating and implementing their pandemic response plans
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Fitch lowers India’s economic growth forecast for FY20 to 4.9% from 5.1 %
Fitch Solutions yesterday announced lowering its gross domestic product (GDP) growth forecast for India for fiscal 2019-2020 to 4.9 per cent from 5.1 per cent earlier, citing weak domestic demand and supply chain disruptions due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- It expects GDP growth to hit 5.4 per cent in the next fiscal against a 5.9 per cent projection earlier.
India sign 40 million USD defence deal with Armenia
In a major success, India has bagged a deal worth USD 40 million to supply four indigenously-built weapon locating radars to Armenia by beating Russian and Polish firms.
- As per the agreement, India will supply four SWATHI weapon locating radars, which provide fast, automatic and accurate location of enemy weapons like mortars, shells and rockets in its 50-km rang
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Govt launches “‘Fuel Humsafar’” mobile app for doorstep diesel delivery
Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar has launched a mobile application named ‘Fuel Humsafar’ for delivery of diesel at doorsteps of Housing societies, hotels and hospitals in the national capital region.
- The app will be used for the fuel delivery services to housing societies, hotels, hospitals, malls, construction sites, industries, banquets and other bulk buyers of diesel in various NCR cities, including Gurugram, Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad, Hapur, Kundli, Manesar, and Bahadurgarh.
New explosive detection device “RaIDer-X” unveiled at NWED-2020
RaIDer-X, a new explosive detection device, developed by DRDO and IISC Bangalore, was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune.
- RaIDer-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance.
- It can also expand its capability to detect various explosives at a time in a pure form as well as with contaminated objects.
Multilingual version of “Incredible India” website launched
Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture, Prahlad Singh Patel launched the multilingual Incredible India website in New Delhi.
- “The website is currently hosted in English and Hindi is now launched in Chinese, Arabic and Spanish to attract tourists from these regions.
Pekka Lundmark appointed as CEO of Nokia
Nokia’s Board of Directors has appointed Pekka Lundmark as President and Chief Executive Officer of Nokia. Lundmark is expected to start in his new role on September 1, 2020.
- Pekka will be replace Nokia Chief Executive Rajeev Suri who will step down in September.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal honoured with Dr. Syama Prasad Mukherjee award for politics
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal was presented the prestigious Dr. Syama Prasad Mukherjee award 2020 for Politics at the 6th India Ideas Conclave in Gujarat.
- The award carries a citation, a specially designed trophy and a cheque of Rs. 1 lakh.
UP MLA Virendra Sirohi passes away
Uttar Pradesh BJP MLA from Bulandshahr, Virendra Singh Sirohi passed away at a Delhi-based hospital after a prolonged illness. He was 73.
- He was first elected as MLA for the 13th UP Assembly in 1996, then in 2007 and last in 2017. He also served as Revenue Minister from 1997 till 2002 in the Mayawati-led state government
Union declares National Chambal Sanctuary as eco-sensitive zone
National Chambal sanctuary has been declared as an eco-sensitive zone by the central government.
- The decision to declare the area as an eco-sensitive zone will prohibit the construction of hotels or resorts within an area of zero to two kilometres from the sanctuary.
- The sanctuary based in the Chambal region is a host of a lot of critically endangered species. Gangetic dolphins, gharial and freshwater turtles are among the major species found in the region.
World Wildlife Day
World Wildlife Day is observed on March 3 every year to raise awareness of endangered animals and plants, and ways to fight against wildlife crime.
- World Wildlife Day 2020 theme is ‘Sustaining all life on Earth’.