Daily Current Affairs 3 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Sabka Vishwas Legacy Dispute Resolution scheme from Sept. 1
The Sabka Vishwas Legacy Dispute Resolution Scheme announced by the Union government in its 2019-20 Budget is operationalised from September 1. Tax payers can use the scheme for closing their pending disputes relating to legacy service tax and central excise cases that are now subsumed under GST.
- As the objective of the scheme is to free as large a segment of the taxpayers from the legacy taxes as possible, the relief given there under is substantial.
September month to be celebrated as ‘Rashtriya Poshan Maah’
The entire month of September will be celebrated as the Rashtriya Poshan Maah. This year the theme is Complementary Feeding. Prime Minister’s Overreaching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment – POSHAN Abhiyaan is a multi- ministerial convergence mission with the vision to address malnutrition with a targeted approach by 2022.
Vice President inaugurates India’s longest electrified rail tunnel in Andhra Pradesh
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the country’s longest electrified rail tunnel between Cherlopalli and Rapuru and the electrified railway line between Venkatachalam and Obulavaripalli.
- Mr. Naidu termed the 6.7-km-long tunnel an “engineering marvel” and said it would provide viable rail connectivity between the Krishnapatnam Port and the hinterland for the seamless movement of freight.
Election Commission launches Nation-Wide Drive for Verification of Voter Details
The Election Commission of India launched a nation-wide Electors Verification Programme, for which a special camp was held at the EC headquarters in New Delhi.
- The initiative, launched at all levels from state and union territory headquarters, to districts and a million polling stations, aims to provide better electoral services, improve communication between voters and the Commission, and the overall health of electoral rolls in general. The programme will end on September 15.
‘Namaste Pacific’ – Culture of countries in Pacific region showcased in Delhi
The High Commissions of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Fiji jointly organised a cultural event ‘Namaste Pacific’ in New Delhi to showcase in India the culture of the Pacific countries.
- Traditional masks and artefacts from Papua New Guinea and Pacific Green furniture and other products from Fiji were also displayed.
- There was also showcase of the International Solar Alliance and Pollinate Energy based in Australia, Nepal and India, and solar lanterns from Barefoot College in Rajasthan.
Russia to train four Indian astronauts for Gaganyaan
India and Russia are stepping up cooperation in the space sector with Moscow extending help in 4-5 critical areas of India’s ambitious manned mission to space, Gaganyaan. This includes training of Indian astronauts at Russian facilities beginning later this year.
- Following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement on August 15, 2018 that an Indian will go to space by the 75th Independence Day, Indian Space Research Research Organisation (ISRO) has outlined a road map to put a three-man crew in a low earth orbit for 5-7 days by December 2021 by an indigenous GSLV Mk-III launch vehicle from a third launch pad under construction at Sriharikota.
South Asian Speakers’ Summit held in Maldives
The fourth South Asian Speakers’ Summit was held in Male, Maldives capital with the secretary general of the Inter-Parliamentary Union and senior lawmakers from India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- The two-day meeting focused on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla attended the summit from India’s side.
4th Indian Ocean Conference 2019 held in Maldives
4th Indian Ocean Conference 2019 was held in Male, Maldives. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar participated in the Conference.
- The theme of the fourth Indian Ocean Conference – IOC 2019 – was “Securing the Indian Ocean Region: Traditional and Non-Traditional Challenges”.
36th National Games to be held in Goa in October-November 2020, confirms Indian Olympic Association
The much-delayed 36th National Games will be staged in Goa from 20 October to 4 November next year, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) said. The IOA finalised the dates during its meeting with the Goan delegation.
Shooting World Cup: India finish with five gold medals in Rio
India finished at the top of the ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol Championship in Rio De Janeiro with 5 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals.
- Elavenil Valarivan won the women’s 10m Air Rifle event.
- Abhishek Verma won the men’s 10m Air Pistol event.
- Yashaswini Singh Deswal won gold in the women’s 10meter Air Pistol event.
- Apurvi Chandela (World number one in women’s 10m air rifle) and Deepak Kumar won Gold in mixed air rifle event.
- Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary claimed the mixed 10m air pistol gold.
Shot putter Tejinderpal Singh Toor clinches silver in Czech Republic
Asian Games gold medallist shot putter Tejinderpal Singh Toor has clinched a silver medal with a best throw of 20.09m in his last attempt during an athletic meet at Decin, Czech Republic.
Paytm Money promotes Pravin as MD & CEO; to invest ₹250 cr in 2 yrs
Paytm Money, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Paytm’s parent One97 Communications, said it has elevated Pravin Jadhav as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
A new book released on the history of Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
The book, “India’s Lost Frontier the Story of the North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan”, has been penned by veteran civil servant Raghvendra Singh. He was the Director-General of the National Archives of India.
- This book on the history of Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, earlier known as the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP). This book presents the chronicles of Congress leadership in 1947 surrendered India’s claim on the “tactically important” province despite the resistance of Mahatma Gandhi and some influential political leaders of the region.
Italian Actor, Bodybuilder Franco Columbu Dies at 78
Italian bodybuilder, boxer and actor Franco Columbu, has passed away. He was 78. He was taken to a hospital after being taken ill while he was swimming in the sea.
World Coconut Day 2019
The World Coconut Day (WCD) is observed every year on September 2 to enhance coconut farming with focus on productivity and product diversification.
- Theme for World Coconut Day 2019 is “Coconut, the tree of life Sustains family well being”.