Daily Current Affairs 30 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Jan Dhan Yojana completes six years; 40 crore accounts opened so far
More than 40.35 crore people benefited from the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) which was launched six years ago as a national mission for financial inclusion.
- The Jan Dhan Yojana, which was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Independence Day address in 2014, was launched on August 28, in the same year.
Reliance Industries to acquire Future Group’s key businesses for ₹24,713 crore
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries announced the acquisition of the retail, wholesale, logistics and warehousing businesses of Kishore Biyani’s Future Group for Rs 24,713 crore.
- The acquisition was done through the company’s subsidiary Reliance Retail Ventures.
India withdraws from multilateral military exercise in Russia next month
India has announced that it is withdrawing from multilateral Military Exercise Kavkaz 2020 to be held in Russia next month (Sep 2020).
- In view of Pandemic and consequent difficulties in exercise, including arrangements of logistics, India has decided not to send a contingent this year to Kavkaz-2020.
Centre to develop three Bamboo Clusters in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas of J&K
Minister of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh said that three Bamboo Clusters will be developed in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas for making of Bamboo basketry, Agarbatti and Bamboo Charcol.
- Apart from this a Mega Bamboo Industrial Park at Ghati near Jammu and Bamboo Technology Training Centre will also come up in the region.
- It will provide direct employment to nearly 25 thousand people.
Tripura University scientist designs WARBOT to protect doctors
To extend a big help to the doctors, attending the infected patients, a scientist at Tripura University has designed a robot which can prevent the doctors, nurses and health staff from getting infected while they come in contact with patients infected with the virus. The robot is named as Covid-19 WARBOT.
- The “COVID 19 Warbot” stands upon a box-shaped structure that has been attached to four wheels that ensures the free movement of it.
- The electronic transmission system has been used in it so that it can be operated from 20-meter distance at the most and it has the ability to bear a weight of 30 Kgs.
51st IFFI to be held in Goa from Nov 20
Fifty first International Film Festival of India IFFI will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th.
- This film festival being a hybrid film festival due to Covid 19, would screen films on official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings.
Global tourism lost USD 320 billion in 5 months from coronavirus: UN
The tourism global industry has been devastated by the coronavirus pandemic, with USD 320 billion lost in exports in the first five months of the year and more than 120 million jobs at risk, the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said.
- The tourism is the third-largest export sector of the global economy, behind fuels and chemicals, and in 2019 it accounted for 7 per cent of global trade.It employs one in every 10 people on Earth and provides livelihoods to hundreds of millions more.
- The export revenues from tourism could fall by USD 910 billion to USD 1.2 trillion in 2020” and that “could reduce global GDP by 1.5 per cent to 2.8 per cent.
Usha Padhee becomes first woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
Usha Padhee, joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation, has been given additional charge as director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Padhee is the first woman and third IAS officer to have been appointed to the post.
- Earlier, IPS officer Rakesh Asthana was given charge of the BCAS. He has now been moved to the Border Security Force (BSF) as director general.
Dr. Akinwumi Adesina re-elected as President of the African Development Bank Group
Dr Akinwumi A. Adesina was re-elected to serve a second five-year term as president of the African Development Bank Group by the board of governors of the bank.
- Adesinae was first elected as president of the bank on May 28, 2015.
- As newly re-elected president, Dr Adesina, a former Nigerian Minister of Agriculture, will begin his new term on this Sept 1.
Chadwick Boseman, ‘Black Panther’ star, passes away
American Chadwick Boseman, star of “Black Panther,” died after a four year battle with colon cancer, his rep confirmed to Variety. He was 43.
- Besides Black Panther, Boseman was known for his performances in 42, Captain America: Civil War, Marshall, Avengers: Infinity War, 21 Bridges and Da 5 Bloods. His film Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom is yet to be released.