Daily Current Affairs 30 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Stree Swabhiman Initiative launched for Women Health and Hygiene
Union Information Technology and Electronics Ministry launched the Stree Swabhiman Initiative to ensure and maintain perfect health for Women and maintain Health Hygiene.
- The initiative was launched in partnership with Common Service Centres (CSCs).
- Under this initiative, Common Service Centres (CSC) will provide access to affordable, reliable and modern (eco-friendly) sanitary napkins (menstrual pads) to adolescent girls and women in rural areas.
Harshvardhan launches PetaFlop super computer
Environment Minister Harshvardhan launched a 2.8 PetaFlops capacity high-performance computer system ‘Mihir’ in Noida. The system will be able to predict weather and climate accurately.
- This will be helpful in addressing the various issues of agriculture operations and fishing in the country.
Odisha CM launches Startup India-Odisha Yatra
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the Startup India-Odisha Yatra. The Chief Minister said the Yatra van would travel to 60 educational institutions across the 16 districts of the state. During the yatra, 500 innovative ideas were likely to be pitched.
Indian, Vietnamese Armies Hold 1st Military Exercise- VINBAX
Armies of India and Vietnam have begun a six-day-long military exercise in Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh. The exercise named ‘VINBAX’ is the first military exercise between the two countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
The GOI and World Bank sign $100 Million Project to Boost Rural Economy of Tamil Nadu
The Government of India and the World Bank signed a $100 million Loan Agreement that is expected to promote rural enterprises, facilitate their access to finance, and create employment opportunities for youth, particularly women, in selected blocks of Tamil Nadu across 26 districts, directly benefitting over 400,000 people.
The Government of India and ADB sign $250 Million Loan to Improve Rural Connectivity in the 5 States
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $250 million loan to finance the construction of 6,254 kilometres all-weather rural roads in the States of Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under the Prime Minister’s Rural Roads Program (PMGSY).
- The program is aimed at improving rural connectivity, facilitating safer and more efficient access to livelihood and socio-economic opportunities for rural communities through improvements to about 12,000 kilometres Rural Roads across the 5 States.
Software sector grew 8% in fiscal 2016-17: Survey
According to the Economic Survey for the current fiscal 2017-18, the Indian IT industry grew 8 per cent to $140 billion (Rs 8,91,700 crore) in fiscal 2016-17 from $129 billion (Rs 8,256 crore) in the previous fiscal (2015-16).
India ranks sixth in the list of wealthiest countries
India has been ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with total wealth of 8,230 billion US dollars, while the United States topped the chart. According to a report by New World Wealth, India was the best performing wealth market globally in 2017 as its total wealth swelled from 6,584 billion dollars in 2016 to 8,230 billion dollars in 2017, registering a 25 per cent growth.
Venkiah Naidu confers BAI’s Lifetime Achievement Award on Padukone
Vice President Venkiah Naidu conferred Badminton Association of India (BAI) Lifetime Achievement Award to 1983 World Championship medallist Prakash Padukone.
- Terming Padukone a “grand legend of a great game”, Naidu said that the 62-year has not only brought many honours to the country but also inspired the nation through his “sheer passion, grit and determination”.
Sunil Chhetri’s birthday to be celebrated as Delhi’s Football Day
Celebrating the game, Football Delhi honoured the Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri, announcing his birthday to be celebrated as Delhi’s Football Day. Chhetri’s birthday falls on August 3.
- The 33-year-old, who had spent his initial football days in Delhi, has appeared in 97 International matches for India and scored 56 goals for the national team since his first appearance in 2005. He is currently leading Bangaluru in their ISL 2018 campaign and is the top third goalscorer in the tournament this season.
IOA names Sisodia as Chef de Mission for CWG 2018
The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) appointed Vikram Singh Sisodia as the Chef de Mission for the 21st Commonwealth Games to be held at Gold Coast in Australia.
- Sisodia is currently the Joint Secretary of the IOA.
Melbourne Cricket Ground to host ICC World T20 2020 finals
Australia is going to host ICC World T20 2020. It was announced that Australia’s largest stadium Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) will host the final of both the men’s and women’s ICC World Twenty20 in 2020.
Muscat to host Asian Champions Trophy 2018
The Asian Champions Trophy 2018 will be hosted by the Oman Hockey Association in Muscat between October 18 and 28, confirmed the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF). Oman is holding the event for the first time.
BJP MP Chintaman Wanaga passes away
Member of Parliament from Palghar in Maharashtra Chintaman Wanaga has passed away.