Daily Current Affairs 30 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Maharashtra ranks first in justice delivery again: Report
Maharashtra ranks first in the second edition of the India Justice Report (IJR) 2020, that judges states on delivery of justice to people.
- The report, an initiative of Tata Trusts in collaboration with the Centre for Social Justice, Common Cause, Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, DAKSH, Tiss-Prayas, Vidhi and How India Live 2020, highlights stark conclusions when aggregated for an all-India picture.
- Maharashtra retained its number one position among 18 large and mid -sized states—each with a population of over one crore —followed by Tamil Nadu, which improved its ranking from third position in 2019, and Telangana.
- The list of seven small states (population of less than one crore each) was topped by Tripura , followed by Sikkim and Goa.
CSIR Signs an MoU for S&T-led Development of Union Territory of Ladakh
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and the union territory of Ladakh recently signed an agreement for the development of the Union Territory through Science and Technology (S&T) interventions.
- The MoU was signed with the aim of establishing a knowledge partnership between CSIR and the Ladakh UT.
- It seeks to develop the areas like exploration of natural resources, introduction of cash crops in the region and bioresource utilization which is endemic to Ladakh.
Odisha: “Prashikhyak” ICT Dashboard launched to improve the quality of teacher training
The Directorate of Teacher Education and SCERT in collaboration with UNICEF, Odisha and technical support from SDRC, has launched the Teacher Education Dashboard named Prashikhyak for Teacher Education Institutes to monitor progress against the annual academic calendar and improve the quality of teacher training along with reliable data linking with the professional profile of teachers.
- In this manner, faculties can interact with the Directorate and seek their guidance on the best academic performance.
- This dashboard also provides opportunities to develop mechanism to capture students’ feedback in the application for further analysis and corrective actions.
India’s rank slips to 86th in corruption perception index 2020
India’s rank has slipped six places to 86th among 180 countries in Transparency International (TI)’s Corruption Perception Index in 2020.
- This year, New Zealand and Denmark rank at first position with scores of 88. Somalia and South Sudan rank lowest at 179th position with scores of 12.
- The index, which ranks 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and business people, uses a scale of 0 to 100, where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 is very clean.
Covid-19 performance: India ranked 86 out of 98 countries, says study
A study by Australia-based Lowy Institute has ranked India 86 out of 98 countries on its Covid performance in the 36 weeks that followed each country’s 100th confirmed case.
- While New Zealand has scored the highest average score among countries followed by Vietnam, Taiwan Thailand and Cyprus. The United States is among the bottom five.
- The study said that most European countries at one point exceeded the average performance of countries in the Asia-Pacific — before succumbing to a second, more severe, wave of the pandemic in the final months of 2020.
India is 3rd Globally in Scientific Publications after China, US
India has seen an exponential increase in the number of scientific publications over the last 10 years and is in the third position globally after China and the US,the Department of Science and Technology (DST) said.
- According to data from the US agency the National Science Foundation (NSF) India is currently in third place only behind China and the United States with 135788 scientific articles in the year 2018.
- The NSF database shows that India’s growth rate of scientific publication was 12.9 percent as against the world average of 4.9 percent
Saudi Arabia hosted Future Investment Initiative (FII) summit
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is hosting Future Investment Initiative (FII) with the theme “The Neo-Renaissance.” . The two-day Davos styled summit, would witness global policymakers and business tycoons speaking on a range of topics. The topics will include pharmaceuticals, entertainment and several others.
- The summit was planned to take place in October 2020 but was rescheduled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Conference dubbed as ‘Davos in the desert‘ would witness the participation of 150 speakers.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
FDI into India increases 37% to $43.85 billion during Apri-Nov 2020
Foreign direct investment (FDI) into India increased by 37 per cent to USD 43.85 billion during April-November 2020, according to data by the commerce and industry ministry.
- Total FDI inflows (including reinvested earnings) during the eight-month period of the current fiscal grew by 22 per cent to USD 58.37 billion, the ministry said
Global public debt likely to touch 98% of GDP in 2020 amid Covid crisis: IMF
Global public debt is estimated to touch 98 per cent of GDP at the end of 2020, International Monetary Fund (IMF) said in its latest fiscal monitor update, according to which India’s government debt is expected to remain elevated at 83 per cent of GDP.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has posed a severe challenge to public finances, the report said noting that the contraction in output and ensuing fall in revenues, along with emergency lifelines, boosted government deficits and debts beyond levels recorded during the global financial crisis.
- Noted that global public debt is projected to edge up further from 98 per cent of GDP in 2020 to almost 100 per cent of GDP in 2021 driven by advanced and emerging market economies.
Karnataka signs MoU with Amazon India to boost e-commerce and MSME sector
Global e-tailer Amazon India signed an agreement with the Karnataka industries and commerce department to help micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) operating in the state to increase their exports on its global selling platform.
- The agreement will enable Amazon to train and onboard MSMEs across the state on its global selling platform for driving their exports to customers in 200 countries the world over.
Lt Gen Chandi Prasad Mohanty appointed as new Army Vice-Chief
Lieutenant General Chandi Prasad Mohanty was appointed as the next vice-chief of Army Staff.
- Lt Gen CP Mohanty to take over as the next Vice Chief of Army Staff on February 1st. He is presently the Southern Army Commander and would be succeeding Lt Gen SK Saini on his superannuation.
Social scientist, economist Shaibal Gupta passes away
Patna-based social scientist and popular economist Shaibal Gupta passed away. He was 67.
- Mr. Gupta founded the Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI) and was member-secretary of it since the beginning.His contribution to the field of development economics, in general, and development challenges of Bihar, in particular, had received wide attention in both India and abroad.
- Gupta has worked on various research projects with the Institute of Development Studies, Sussex; International Labour Organisation; World Bank and London School of Economics.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Soumitra Chatterjee’s authorised biography released on his birth anniversary
Iconic multi-talented artist Soumitra Chatterjee passed away at the age of 85 on November 15, 2020. Remembering the Dadasaheb Phalke award-winning actor, a new book was released on his birth anniversary on January 19, 2021.
- The authorised biography is titled ‘SOUMITRA CHATTERJEE A Life in Cinema, Theatre, Poetry & Painting’. Co-authored by Arjun Sengupta and Partha Mukherjee, the book will be published by Niyogi Books.
Olympian Andre De Grass pens picture book for kids
Canadian Olympian sprinter Andre De Grasse is writing a picture book for children aged 6-10 years.
- Titled ‘Race With Me!’, the motivational book is expected to be out in July 2021.
- The picture book is co-authored by De Grasse and Robert Budd, and it is illustrated by Joseph Osei Bonsu. It will also have De Grasse’s pictures, including the one where he raced with legendary sprinter Usain Bolt.
Year 2021 declared as Indo-French Year of the Environment
The Union environment ministry launched the Indo-French Year of the Environment along with Barbara Pompili, the French Minister for Ecological Transition.
- The Indo-French Year of the Environment over the period 2021-2022 would be based on five main themes including environmental protection, climate change, biodiversity conservation, sustainable urban development, renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- A joint screening committee will also be set up to finalise the calendar of the events for the Indo-French Year of the Environment.
73rd Martyrs’ Day
Every year, Martyrs’ Day is observed on January 30 to mark the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, known as the father of the nation, across the country.
- Martyrs’ Day or ‘Shaheed Diwas’ aims to pay tribute to the freedom fighters who lost their lives fighting for the freedom, welfare and progress of our nation.