Daily Current Affairs 30 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Amit Shah unveils Mural of Mahatma Gandhi Made from ‘Kulhad’ Cups in Gujarat
Home Minister Amit Shah unveiled a grand wall mural of Mahatma Gandhi made from 2,975 clay kulhads (earthen cups) at Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad on the 74th death anniversary of ‘Father of the Nation’.
- The event, which marked the 74th Martyrs’ Day, was also attended by Union MSME Minister Narayan Rane and Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel.
- The mural, commissioned by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), was put together by 75 potters brought to Ahmedabad from across the country.
- The mural, measuring 100 square meters, has been created by arranging kulhads on an aluminum sheet to form Mahatma Gandhi’s visage.
Govt allows Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh to avail Rs 7,309 cr additional borrowing for power sector
Finance Ministry has granted additional borrowing permission of 7,309 crore rupees to Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh for undertaking the reforms in power sector.
- Finance Ministry said, Rajasthan has been allowed to borrow additional five thousand 186 crore rupees while Andhra Pradesh has been allowed to borrow additional two thousand 123 crore rupees.
- The objectives of the additional borrowing permissions are to improve the operational and economic efficiency of the sector and promote a sustained increase in paid electricity consumption.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Ola to Invest Over $100 Million to Set Up Engineering and Design Centre in UK
Ola Electric said it will invest over USD 100 million (about Rs 750 crore) over the next five years and set up a global centre for advanced engineering and vehicle design in the UK.
- This centre – called the Ola Futurefoundry – will be based in Coventry, UK, and work in sync with the design and engineering teams based at Ola Campus in Bengaluru.
- It will house global talent across multiple disciplines of 2W and 4W vehicle design, advanced high-performance automotive engineering, digital and physical modeling and more.
IREDA and Goa Shipyard Ltd sign MoU for Rooftop Solar Power Projects
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency, IREDA in New Delhi signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Goa Shipyard Limited, GSL, to set-up a rooftop solar power project at GSL headquarter in Vasco da Gama, Goa.
- Under the MoU, IREDA will also extend its techno-commercial expertise to GSL for Environmental and Social due diligence of rooftop solar and other projects as per the international standards.
- These two companies are PSUs under the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Ministry of Defence, respectively.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
TVS Motor Acquires Majority Stake in Swiss E-Mobility Group AG For $100 Million
TVS Motor Company said it has acquired a 75 per cent stake in Switzerland’s largest e-bike player, Swiss E-Mobility Group AG (SEMG), for USD 100 million.
- The acquisition reaffirms the company’s commitment to expanding operations in Europe through a portfolio of premium and technology leading brands, including Norton Motorcycles and EGO Movement, which were recently acquired.
Women’s Asia Cup Hockey: India beat China 2-0 to win Bronze medal
Japan continued their impressive run at the 2022 Hockey Asia Cup as they thrashed the mighty South Koreans 4-2 at Muscat last night.
- India won bronze medal beating China 2-0 for third and fourth place play off. Sharmila Devi in the 13th minute and Gurjit Kaur in the 19th minute scored goals for India.
World Champion Carlsen wins Tata Steel Chess Tournament 2022
GM Magnus Carlsen secured his eighth victory in Wijk aan Zee with a round to spare. The world champion defeated GM Fabiano Caruana and now leads the 2022 Tata Steel Chess Tournament by a full point.
- Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi became the fourth Indian player after P Harikrishna, B Adhiban and Vidit Gujrathi to win the Tata Steel Challengers event at Wijk Aan Zee in The Netherlands.
Indian Olympian Boxer Sarjubala Devi Turns Professional
Decorated Indian woman boxer and Olympian Sarjubala Devi has decided to enter the professional arena and has signed a deal with leading Indian boxing promoter Mujtaba Kamal and Grassroot Boxing Promotions and Management in Imphal.
- The 28-year-old Manipuri, a silver medallist in the 2014 AIBA World Boxing Championship in Korea and a former Youth World Boxing gold medallist, will be making her professional boxing debut on February 26 in Dubai.
Renowned social worker and Padma Shri awardee Baba Iqbal Singh passes away
Social worker and Padma Shri awardee, Baba Iqbal Singh, passed away at the age of 95.
- He started his career as a civil servant in Himachal Pradesh’s department of agriculture. After retiring from the service as director 1986, he moved to Baru Sahib in Himachal Pradesh’s Sirmaur district and started Akal Academy.
- Eventually, Baba Iqbal Singh established 129 low-cost schools and two private universities in Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana,Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.He was awarded the Padma Shri for his contributions in the field of social work in 2022.
Tamil Nadu: Former MP S K Paramasivan passes away
In Tamil Nadu, Former Member of Parliament S.K.Paramasivan passed away in Tiruchengode. He was 103.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha from 1962 to 1967. The Congress MP also formed the Milk Producers Association in Erode.
- He was chosen by Dr.Kurien to start the white revolution in Erode in Tamil Nadu. He was called as the Father of Dairies in and around Erode.