Daily Current Affairs 30 September 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government sets up Competition Law Review Committee
The government has formed a Competition Law Review Committee to ensure that the legislation is in tune with the changing business environment. The Committee will be headed by Injeti Srinivas, Secretary of the Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- The committee will review the competition regulations in view of changing business environment and suggest the necessary changes.
Jaipur Art Summit to open in Delhi
Over 20 artists from across the globe will showcase their works at a week-long international art summit in New Delhi starting from October 4-10, and are open for public participation.
- Currently in its sixth edition, the Jaipur Art Summit Metro Edition will open to the public at the Triveni Kala Sangam in an exhibition titled “Cross Border Art Connect”, along with talk shows and an art competition.
MP announces 52nd district, decision to come into effect from Oct 1
The Madhya Pradesh government announced the creation of a new district ‘Niwari’. The new district would include three tehsils of the present Tikamgarh district – Niwari, Orchha and Prithvipur. The government’s decision will come into effect from October 1.
Tsunami and earthquake in Indonesia kill over 400
Nearly 400 people were killed when a powerful quake sent a tsunami barrelling into the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.
- In Palu, about 17,000 people have been evacuated, scattered across centers in 24 locations.
WHO launches ‘SAFER’, a new initiative to reduce harmful use of alcohol
The World Health Organization (WHO) released SAFER, a new initiative and technical package outlining five high-impact strategies that can help governments reduce the harmful use of alcohol and related health, social and economic consequences.
- SAFER is the newest WHO-led roadmap to support governments in taking practical steps to accelerate progress on health, beat noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) through addressing the harmful use of alcohol, and achieve development targets.
Yuvraj Wadhwani clinches Asian Junior Squash title
India’s Yuvraj Wadhwani defeated Anas Ali Shah of Pakistan in the final to win the boys under-13 title in the 25th Asian junior individual squash championship in Chennai.
- He became the second Indian to win the U-13 title after Veer Chotrani had won in 2014 in Iran.
Hamilton wins Russian Grand Prix
Formula One defending champion Lewis Hamilton of Britain (Mercedes) won the Russian Grand Prix after Mercedes’ other driver Valtteri Bottas of Finland at the Sochi Autodrom circuit in Sochi, Russia.
N. Ravi, former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu, elected PTI chairman
N. Ravi, Publisher and former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu, has been unanimously elected Chairman of the Press Trust of India (PTI). Also, Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers, was elected Vice-Chairman.
Elon Musk to Step Down as Tesla Chairman
Tesla chief executive Elon Musk agreed to step down as chairman of the electric car maker he founded.
- An unexpected resolution to a lawsuit filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission 48 hours earlier that threatened to throw Tesla into unprecedented chaos.
Ex-Gujarat finance minister Manoharsinh Jadeja passes away
Veteran politician Manoharsinh Jadeja who had served as finance minister in the erstwhile Congress government in Gujarat has passed away. He was 83.
- Manoharsinh, popularly known as ‘Dada’, was the descendant of the royal family of Rajkot.
International Translation Day
International Translation Day is celebrated every year on 30 September on the feast of St. Jerome, the Bible translator who is considered the patron saint of translators. The celebrations have been promoted by International Federation of Translators (FIT) ever since it was set up in 1953.
- The theme of International Translation Day 2018 is “Translation: Promoting Cultural Heritage in Changing Times”.