Daily Current Affairs 30th June 2017
ADB committed USD 10 billion support for development of States in India
The Asian Development Bank has committed USD 10 billion support for infrastructure building and immediate development needs of less-developed States in India.
- ADB expects India to grow by 7.4 per cent in the current financial year and 7.6 per cent in 2018-19.
RBI report sees India’s economic growth rate at 7.3% in 2017-18
According to Financial Stability Report 2017 released by The Reserve Bank, the ongoing accelerated reform initiatives like Goods and Sevice Tax and continuing political stability will push the economic growth. According to report, the GVA growth is expected to be higher at 7.3 per cent in 2017-18.
RBI directive on withdrawals, transfers by payment banks
The Reserve Bank of India has said that if a payment bank (PB) has made arrangements with other banks to act as their Business Correspondent (BC), then the PB can facilitate withdrawals and transfers by the customer from his/her account with the other bank of which it is the BC.
- Saving accounts in PBs can allow customer to deposit up to Rs 1,00,000 only. As per earlier directives, PBs can park extra money than Rs 1,00,000 in other bank’s account.
The last day for linking Aadhaar to PAN is not July 1
There is a mad rush to link Aadhar number with permanent account number (PAN) on the income tax website before July 1.
- Amidst the rush for linking Aadhaar with the permanent account number (PAN), here’s a clarification: July 1 is not the last day.
- The government has not declared that date yet. After July 1, the linking will become mandatory and the government may declare a date after which the PAN not linked to Aadhaar will become invalid.
- According to section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961, every person who has an Aadhaar number and a PAN is required to link the two “on or before a date to be notified by the Central Government” — which has not yet been clarified.
Govt lowers interest rate by 0.1 % on small saving schemes for July-Sep quarter
Government has lowered interest rate on small saving schemes by 0.1 per cent for the July- September quarter. The move will prompt banks to lower deposit rates. New Interest Rates are:
- Public provident fund (PPF) scheme – 7.8 per cent.
- Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) investments – 7.5 per cent and mature in 115 months.
- The one for girl child savings, Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme – 8.3 per cent
- 5-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme – 8.3 per cent.
New GDP base year tentatively pegged at 2017-18
The base year of new GDP series has been fixed at 2017-18 from the current base year 2011-12.
- This is mainly due to GST coming into effect from July 1, so another huge set of data would be generated and give a richer data base.
July 1 to be observed as GST Day: CBEC
GST is going to be roll out on July 1. Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) has announced that July 1 will be known as ‘GST Day’ and will be celebrated in all offices of CBEC
Money Parked by Indians in Swiss banks hit record low
According to the data released by Zurich-based SNB, money parked by Indians in Swiss banks have nearly halved to 676 Swiss francs (about Rs. 4,500 crore) in 2016.
PM inaugurates filling of Aji Dam under Sauni Yojana
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has inaugurated the filling of Aji Dam near Rajkot, Gujarat under Sauni Yojana.
Arunachal Pradesh govt makes Inner-Line Permit system paperless
Arunachal Pradesh Government has made the Inner-Line Permit system paperless. State Chief Minister Pema Khandu launched the e-Inner Line Permit (eILP) programme, in Itanagar. The step has been taken to make hassle-free entry into the State for domestic visitors and give a further boost to tourism sector.
‘Maharaj’ added to the name of Mumbai’s CST railway station
Railways authorities have officially changed the name of Mumbai’s biggest station from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
Ankit Kawatra bags Queen’s Young Leaders Award for 2017
Anti-hunger activist Ankit Kawatra has been awarded the Queen’s Young Leaders Award for 2017 by Queen Elizabeth II at a ceremony in the Buckingham Palace.
Boy, 11, gets higher IQ test score than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking
An 11-year-old boy has scored higher in an IQ test than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.
- The so-called genius benchmark is set at 140 and Arnav Sharma gained a score of 162 – the maximum possible result you can achieve on the paper.
K.K. Venugopal replaces Mukul Rohatgi as Attorney General
Senior lawyer in the Supreme Court of India and constitutional expert K.K. Venugopal has been appointed as a new 15th Attorney General replacing Mukul Rohatgi.
AIU gets new President
Eminent academic P.B. Sharma will take charge as President of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Sharma is currently the Vice Chancellor of Amity University Haryana, Gurugram.
Kidambi Srikanth breaks into top 10 of BWF rankings
Ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has been rewarded for his recent stellar performances as he broke into the Top 10 of the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings.
- Srikanth’s surged to eighth spot in rankings after lifting titles at the Australian Open Super Series and Indonesia Super Series Premier within a week’s time.
SIERRA ODC building in Coimbatore gets world’s second highest green rating
SIERRA ODC building has been recognised as the world’s second highest ranking Green Building. The building has scored 103 points out of 110 under LEED certification.
6th Joint Trade Committee Meeting between India and Myanmar held at New Delhi
NASA launches Rocket to produce Colourful Artificial Clouds
The NASA has successfully launched Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket that created colourful artificial clouds visible in the skies of the US. The rocket was launched from its Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.
US to sell $366.2 million C-17 Globemaster aircraft to India
US has decided to sell one USD 366.2 million C-17 transport aircraft to India. US and India have built a close defence relationship in recent years.
Germany legalises same-sex marriage
German politicians have voted to legalise same-sex marriage in a snap vote only days after Chancellor Angela Merkel changed her mind to allow a free vote.
- The move brings Germany into line with many other European nations including France, Britain and Spain.